What is your take about the author?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: What is your take about the author?

Post by Sahansdal »

Kajori50 wrote: 16 Jun 2019, 15:28 I think the author is someone who is very open to new things and prone to research. Whether we agree with him kr not, we have to concede that he has done his research before writing this book.
I owe a lot to Dr. Robert Eisenman. He defines the m.o. of the proto-orthodoxy, as Bart Ehrman calls the early Church.
http://roberteisenman.com/
Bretagne
Favorite Author: Diana Wynne Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bretagne.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale
fav_author_id: 3288

Post by Bretagne »

I think the author states clearly that his ideas would be dismissed by the Christian church, especially since he believes they already did this by hiding Judas’s transition into the apostle James.

I think the author definitely took the time to find resources for his view point, and he’s obviously very passionate about his work. I’d label him as a scholar before anything else.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Bretagne wrote: 18 Jun 2019, 14:48 I think the author states clearly that his ideas would be dismissed by the Christian church, especially since he believes they already did this by hiding Judas’s transition into the apostle James.

I think the author definitely took the time to find resources for his view point, and he’s obviously very passionate about his work. I’d label him as a scholar before anything else.
Bretagne,
Today, so long after the Gospels appeared, no one knows Judas is really a cover character for savior James. I didn't, until these new Gnostic/Essene documents came out.
Tommi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Tommi »

The author is definitely not christian. His claims go contrary to the bible's teachings.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Tommi wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 09:38 The author is definitely not christian. His claims go contrary to the bible's teachings.
What if Christ's TEACHINGS are contrary to the Bible's? Ever thought of that? HE didn't write it!
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Looks like, the author is not deeply religious and is open-minded. Hence, researches about Christianity and their beliefs. However, his revelation will not affect readers who deeply follow Christianity.
Tommi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tommi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Tommi »

Sahansdal wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 22:36
Tommi wrote: 21 Jun 2019, 09:38 The author is definitely not christian. His claims go contrary to the bible's teachings.
What if Christ's TEACHINGS are contrary to the Bible's? Ever thought of that? HE didn't write it!
Do you have proofs? There are archaeological and historical records supporting the authenticity of the bible. It is known as bible canon.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Tommi wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 08:33
Do you have proofs? There are archaeological and historical records supporting the authenticity of the bible. It is known as bible canon.
Yes. John 6:40. The plain language of whoever this Master was (I think it was James, not Jesus) is at odds with all of Christian teaching. It is a wonder so few have grasped the import. Masters all say one must SEE their Master to be saved -- that is, to be alive concurrently. This is a hard and fast truth that has been the same since the time of Seth, at least, in Genesis 4:26, "when men began to call on the Name of the Lord [the Word]." Masters come at all times, so that the world always has at least one present at all times for those who are seeking one. The speaker means see physically, too, since John 6:36 says that they DID see him and didn't believe him.

Matt. 7:21 is at odds with Paul's teachings on works righteousness. A Christian, Douglas Del Tondo, wrote extensively on the problem of Paul. JesusWordsOnly.com The more I studied this, the more evidence I found of the New Testament teachings as being the odd man out. I linked my first book on this below, for you.

Christianity isn't the only time a group has tried to stop the line of Masters and claim to be unique themselves, to the exclusion of real Masters. My own Master had to contend with a disputed mastership in 1951. Only a Master duly appointed by another is a Master. I think John the Baptist was a real Master, and his successor was James the Just. I don't believe there even was a person, Jesus. He is not present in any historical account. The Gospels are fictional accounts, not history. This has been investigated thoroughly by others who are open to whatever the facts show, known collectively as "mythicists." They find that the Gospels are not historical. I'm more interested in the theology, and that in the New Testament is not consistent with other teachings that are true, like Sant Mat.

And the Old Testament itself says in several ways that the New T is not true. Ecc. 1:9 says there is nothing new under the sun, and Hosea 6:6 says God desires mercy, not sacrifice (of others). There is a lot more, and a good place to start is my first book, and the work of Dr. Robert Eisenman, of Dead Sea Scrolls fame. He shows that Paul is the Scrolls' "Spouter of Lying." So, I recommend you go to his website and study a real expert. He did this for a living. I met him personally. He is the smartest man I ever met.
https://www.amazon.com/Bible-says-Savio ... ler+robert
http://roberteisenman.com/
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I am a Christian and would defend my faith if the need arises. However, I welcome so many point of views from other people - like the one expressed by Robert Wahler in Misreading Judas. I give it to him, he did his homework on this one. But I believe that there are certain things about Christianity that we may not understand. I think Wahler is someone who's out to seek the truth and this book is his means to that end.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Tommi wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 08:33
The canon is no more support for the authenticity of the Bible than Mein Kampf is support for race relations. You can't prove a text by using it as support for itself.
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

Based on the contents of the book, I have a hard time believing he is a true Christian, if he is one at all. He might be another form of religious or spiritual, but his book goes against basic Christian teachings.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

kmwarren20 wrote: 05 Jul 2019, 10:25 Based on the contents of the book, I have a hard time believing he is a true Christian, if he is one at all. He might be another form of religious or spiritual, but his book goes against basic Christian teachings.
I'm a Satsangi of the Radha Soami Satsang, Beas, of Beas, India. I once was a Christian, and still follow the true teachings of any and all Christs, the practice of Word. The New Testament, as used by the Church anyway, is a lie.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

I have posted here before but the more I read through this discussion the more I believe he is a cultist. Involved in a cult and promoting a cult. Lacking patience or love or compassion in his answers. I don't believe the New Testament or Gospels are wrong about that.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Dragonsend wrote: 07 Jul 2019, 15:58 I have posted here before but the more I read through this discussion the more I believe he is a cultist. Involved in a cult and promoting a cult. Lacking patience or love or compassion in his answers. I don't believe the New Testament or Gospels are wrong about that.
Why don't you say something relevant for a change, OK? I don't attack anyone except the scholars who should know better and don't. What's wrong with that? Judas is the sacrifice! It matters!!! My "love" is having taken time out of my own life to try to save yours.
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

The author is a bold character that ain't afraid of controversy. He seems kind of an theist and given a chance the church would skin him a live.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”