Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annony11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice?

Post by Annony11 »

A friend in college and I used to have this fight all the time. She was all for P&P while I loved Jane Eyre. Since then, I’ve gotten to know and love Pride and Prejudice more but Jane still beats them for me.
Varduk

Post by Varduk »

I prefer Jane Eyre, in my opinion it is more touching than the Pride and Prejudice. Also, the plot of the latter one is very common, whereas Jane Eyre's plot is very unique.
Heatholt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatholt.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller

Post by Heatholt »

Jane Eyre is so much more complex in my opinion. I love both books but I find that Jane Eyre has such darkness to it, that feels ahead of its time.
"We're all born naked and the rest is drag." - RuPaul Charles
:wink:
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

My vote goes to Pride and Prejudice! I love Elizabeth Bennet and Mr Darcy together, but I also love their individual characters. I also love how Jane Austen wrote a book entirely centred around women where men play only supporting roles. :wink:
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Both of these are my all time favourite classic books, but, if I have to choose, I would go with Jane Eyre for its dark plot. I think it really depends on individual taste, though.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Pride and Prejudice all the way! My mother used to read it every summer when she was young and I guess I inherited the love for this book from her. I just enjoyed the book so much and I was so impressed by the BBC six-episode drama made after it! I think this is the book that started most of today’s popular love stories, most of which are unfortunately deeply problematic and will never measure up to the original.
H-333
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-h-333.html
Latest Review: Delta: In the Middle of the Lake by Nike Izmaylov and Michelle Izmaylov

Post by H-333 »

Pride and Prejudice is hard to beat, that is one of my favorites. While Jane Eyre is well written, emotional, and an epic story, it's just too dark for my taste.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chainsawcat.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by ChainsawCat »

Are they really the same genre? Jane Eyre is a Gothic novel, and full of the associated high drama, madness, crumbling manors, extreme situations, etc. You read it for relishing the madness.
Pride and Prejudice is almost the opposite, a novel of manners. Everyone basically plays by the rules, with as little drama as they can manage.
I don't know. I love them both. It's apples and oranges.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:

Post by ChainsawCat »

Heatholt wrote: 04 Jul 2019, 12:16 Jane Eyre is so much more complex in my opinion. I love both books but I find that Jane Eyre has such darkness to it, that feels ahead of its time.
I would not say that Jane Eyre is ahead of its time in including dark themes-- that was exactly the state of literature of the time. Try Edgar Allan Poe, or Sir Walter Scott.
paulkinyuao+

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

Am going to choose Pride and Prejudice.
I say this, with no threats over my head or chips over my shoulder. Not even a reward. Only the truth.
Even when these variables are present, am happy to choose it all the same.
lettiebeth

Post by lettiebeth »

Two of my favorite books as a teenager! They certainly both have their strong points, but for me, I'd have to vote for Pride and Prejudice. I've always rather prided myself on holding my own opinions and not just going with the bookish flow, but I have to say that there's just something about Elizabeth and Darcy that is both realistic and appealing. In my opinion, they well deserve their place as one of bookdom's favorite couples.
owachtel
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Bookshelf Size: 220
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-owachtel.html
Latest Review: I'm Swimming in the Toilet... PLEASE DON'T FLUSH! by Len Foley

Post by owachtel »

ChainsawCat wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 16:27 Are they really the same genre? Jane Eyre is a Gothic novel, and full of the associated high drama, madness, crumbling manors, extreme situations, etc. You read it for relishing the madness.
Pride and Prejudice is almost the opposite, a novel of manners. Everyone basically plays by the rules, with as little drama as they can manage.
I love this comment! I think in addition to being different styles, I think the characters are different enough that neither book can really be “better.” Jane tries to be reserved as an adult and struggles with her naturally strong spirit, while Lizzy is such a free spirit that she ends up overlooking the face that Darcy is in love with her. Both heroines have unique challenges.
ChainsawCat
Currently Reading:

Post by ChainsawCat »

owachtel wrote: 09 Aug 2019, 08:25
ChainsawCat wrote: 28 Jul 2019, 16:27 Are they really the same genre? Jane Eyre is a Gothic novel, and full of the associated high drama, madness, crumbling manors, extreme situations, etc. You read it for relishing the madness.
I love this comment! I think in addition to being different styles, I think the characters are different enough that neither book can really be “better.” Jane tries to be reserved as an adult and struggles with her naturally strong spirit, while Lizzy is such a free spirit that she ends up overlooking the face that Darcy is in love with her. Both heroines have unique challenges.
That's true! Elizabeth is presented as exceptionally free-spirited in the context of her quite restrained surroundings, and Jane is presented as reserved in the context of her out-of-control-dramatic surroundings. But really... does Elizabeth Bennett do anything that crazy? She accepts an offer of marriage from a man a tiny notch above her social class (by some but not all reckonings), with whom she previously had a less than amiable relationship, and who gave some advice and perhaps wrote some letters of which she disapproved. And Jane Eyre... she's the one going from the poorhouse to marrying a dude in a manor house, who was already married.

We accept the novels' frames and ruling worldviews very readily.
Anna1512
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna1512.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by Anna1512 »

They are so different! Pride and prejudice is more romantic but I think that Jane Eyre is very unique!! In my opinion Charlotte Bronte is capable to surprise the reader. When the book start you immediately think of a another Victorian story full of orphans, schools with strict rules and poor people; but when you keep going on reading you find mystery, a strong and indipendent woman, love, passion and courage!
Brandt
Currently Reading: Under the Dome
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandt.html
Latest Review: Eggstravagant Easter Eggs by Maya Elston

Post by Brandt »

I think both books have their own qualities that make them great, but Pride and Prejudice has a special place in my heart.
"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
~Oscar Wilde

Return to “Classic Books”