Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Sahansdal »

Yasinta venance34 wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 09:19 No the book doesn't change my belief. And also I still see Judas as a traitor whose action led to the world salvation if it was self sacrifice as on the author's accord, Judas could have died on Jesus' place.
Btw, Yasinta, he did. For his own personal followers (as James of course, not 'Judas'). The thesis I present is the only way to explain John 6:40, and John 9:4-5. Masters must be living at the time of the disciple to save them. They all have said so. scienceoftheoul.org (Books by the Masters)
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

No, It doesn't. Although it made me stop and think "what if?".
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

No, it does not because I have been reading The Bible since my childhood and his points expressed in the book are not enough for me to change my mind so quickly.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I've always seen Judas as one who had a specific role to play in the birthing of Christianity. Though, his role was a somewhat inhumane one, but he kind of fulfilled purpose. I think on this, my belief and the portrayal of Judas in this book isn't far-fetched.
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I don't believe that this book or any other for that matter can change my belief about the historical evidence for the workings and person of Christ or any of his disciples, Judas inclusive. But this isn't because I'm close minded, it's actually the opposite.

I was born in a Christian home and like many others, I had my seasons of doubt which were born out of contact with the perspectives like the author holds. All the research I've done since then makes one thing clear – the Bible may have some inconsistencies or "gaps" and that's okay because it is written by humans. However, the central message of the Bible cannot be refuted beyond reasonable doubt. Many have tried for countless centuries to no avail. I've tried too in my own little way but the Bible in the end always seems to stand head and shoulders above all ridicule or questioning. The Bible and Christianity is simply evidential truth.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Jachike 1 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:33 I don't believe that this book or any other for that matter can change my belief about the historical evidence for the workings and person of Christ or any of his disciples, Judas inclusive. But this isn't because I'm close minded, it's actually the opposite.

I was born in a Christian home and like many others, I had my seasons of doubt which were born out of contact with the perspectives like the author holds. All the research I've done since then makes one thing clear – the Bible may have some inconsistencies or "gaps" and that's okay because it is written by humans. However, the central message of the Bible cannot be refuted beyond reasonable doubt. Many have tried for countless centuries to no avail. I've tried too in my own little way but the Bible in the end always seems to stand head and shoulders above all ridicule or questioning. The Bible and Christianity is simply evidential truth.
Now you should try reading it? - the Author
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

No, this book did make me change my Christian beliefs but you have to hand it to him, he did make some good points. He raises a few good questions, but I felt that the tone towards the end of the book was accusatory. This book was very short but I sure did a lot of work keeping with all those gnostic books!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I'll agree the author has many interesting arguments but those can't change my belief.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

T_stone wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 02:39 I'll agree the author has many interesting arguments but those can't change my belief.
What are they?
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

Sahansdal wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:36
Jachike 1 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:33 I don't believe that this book or any other for that matter can change my belief about the historical evidence for the workings and person of Christ or any of his disciples, Judas inclusive. But this isn't because I'm close minded, it's actually the opposite.

Hahaha. I may just take you up on that offer😉😊
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

I went through quite a few of the earlier comments trying to find one that at least seemed to lean towards a change in religious beliefs after reading the book. Couldn't find one. How could the thoughts of the author have such little bearing on all the readers? Any one with shifting beliefs owing to the book, say something. That said, it didn't change my mind one whit either.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Jimi Adewole wrote: 03 Jul 2019, 13:40 I went through quite a few of the earlier comments trying to find one that at least seemed to lean towards a change in religious beliefs after reading the book. Couldn't find one. How could the thoughts of the author have such little bearing on all the readers? Any one with shifting beliefs owing to the book, say something. That said, it didn't change my mind one whit either.
I'm not trying to change beliefs. I am presenting new evidence that show the Gnostics were the originators of a mastership succession story that became the "Betrayal of Christ" narrative after the Pauline Gospel authors inverted it, which is a bombshell for Christianity. It is up to Christians to show how this now works, in light of the new information of Nag Hammadi/Al Minya. I say they can't make it work for them. There was no "Betrayal" and therefore, no historical Christ story of salvation.
kmwarren20
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kmwarren20.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by kmwarren20 »

The book didn’t change my views on Judas. While alternative views are interesting, I still can’t see him as anything but a traitor.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Jachike 1 wrote: 02 Jul 2019, 17:49
Sahansdal wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 14:36

Hahaha. I may just take you up on that offer😉😊
If you do, please review it! I need the reviews: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15246 ... 5K32J6D6Y1 :)
Florence Nalianya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-florence-nalianya.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Florence Nalianya »

To be sincere the book doesn't change my religious beliefs.The books leaves me thinking deep of all the happenings and branding of Judas as the worst disciple to now being re-branded in this particular production as the one who took the ultimate sacrifice. Its really interesting at the same time worrisome because what will happen to us Christians if many writers decided to dig this deep?? Will this cause much confusion?.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”