Official Review: The Traveler by Jennifer Deaver

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
desantismt_17
Currently Reading: When Angels Play Poker
Bookshelf Size: 1313
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-desantismt-17.html
Latest Review: Sasquatch Did It! by Patricia Komar

Official Review: The Traveler by Jennifer Deaver

Post by desantismt_17 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Traveler" by Jennifer Deaver.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Meet Ann. She’s a high-school senior who lives with her mom and wishes for more out of life. By day, she attends classes and spends time with her friends. By night, she dreams of a place with magic and castles.

Meet Annabelle. She’s a princess who lives with her dad and wishes for more out of life. By day, she attends to her royal duties and manages to have some fun, despite her responsibilities. By night, she dreams of a place with the strangest horseless carriages and a life of coursework and tests.

Ann and Annabelle are the same person. She travels between two worlds when she drifts off to sleep.

But she won’t be able to do this forever. Soon, Ann/Annabelle must make a choice. Remain as Ann and never see her father again, or remain as Annabelle and leave her mom.

Or, somehow, reunite her family.

I’ll be honest. When I started Jennifer Deaver’s The Traveler, it seemed like a lot of other fantasy books I’ve read. When I realized that Ann and Annabelle were the same person who dreamed each other’s lives, I was hooked. Yes, I’d seen stuff similar to this, but I hadn’t come across dream lives done in quite this way. From there, I got swept up in the fantastic adventure and finished the book in record time.

Ann and Annabelle, despite being the same person, are also individuals. Perhaps this sounds odd, but it really worked. For a while, it was like reading a story about identical twins who’d been separated at birth. I enjoyed getting to know Ann and Annabelle, and I loved watching her grow into one person, taking the best parts from each side.

Annabelle’s world was so much fun. There’s the palace, located in the thriving city of Pelland. There’s also the Enchanted Forest, which is full of creatures of all kinds. I got to know the characters on Annabelle’s side better, and if I had a chance to go there, I could spend days exploring and talking to people. On the flip side, Ann’s world felt a little underdeveloped, but this didn’t really bother me.

I did feel a bit of a disconnect with Ann/Annabelle’s age. She’s eighteen, but the story didn’t quite feel old enough for her to be eighteen. I think if she’d been a few years younger (fifteen, maybe), that disconnect wouldn’t have been there. The mechanics of Ann/Annabelle switching worlds was also never quite explained. Neither of these things really bothered me. Fantasy readers who need their magic systems cemented in concrete details may find this too whimsical. As for me, I was too wrapped-up in the story to think about how it all worked.

There were some grammatical errors throughout, but if I hadn’t been searching for them, I would have been too lost in the story to notice. These and, to a lesser degree, wishing Ann/Annabelle had been a few years younger bring me to rate The Traveler 3 out of 4 stars. If there had been fewer mistakes, the age disconnect wouldn’t have been enough to lower my rating from 4, and I never thought to give this 2. I recommend this book to fans of light fantasy or fairytales. Middle-school-aged readers (girls, in particular) may also enjoy this, as might those who enjoy family stories. All the loose threads are tied up, but there could be room for a sequel. If one pops up, I’ll definitely be reading it.

The Traveler
View: on Bookshelves
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

Yes , you're right 18 is too old for this character. Seems like a wonderful book for kids.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Sounds like a captivating read. Now I really want to know which world she chooses! Thanks for the great review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Even from the summary, I'm not sure I'd believe Ann and Annabelle are 18 years old. Still, it sounds like a cute story that I would enjoy reading. This is one that should go on my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The age thing struck me too with this level of fantasy. I would probably lower the character's age even lower. It would be interesting to read about her final decision. Wonderful review! Thanks.
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

Well, this book is giving me some fun movie ideas. Unfortunately, the budget to execute such a movie is a different matter altogether. Great review.
Kaylee610
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kaylee610 »

The girl seems too young to be a senior
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

This sounds like a great middle-grade book. I think readers of the right age probably won't notice that the main character is a little too old (it will probably seem like what they think an 18 year old should be). I may have to look into this for some kids I know.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'd love to know how Ann/Annabelle deals with bringing herself back to one person and which world she chooses. Furthermore, I'm stumped as to what she's going to do about her situation with her parents, so that's a good place to start when trying to hook me into a book. Looks like an awesome read.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

Her dilemma is one very interesting part and the plot is so wonderfuly original.I am not a fan of fantasies but i could give this one a chance.Great review!
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Dee_218
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dee-218.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Dee_218 »

I love fantasies and this twist sounds like aust read. Thank you for a great review.
DD129
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dd129.html
Latest Review: The Message? by Avam Hale

Post by DD129 »

I’ve seen this idea (switching between two worlds when you sleep) executed before. I’m curious about how this author will twist it and make it her own. I’ll have to read it and see. Good review!
RoxieReads
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxiereads.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by RoxieReads »

This sounds very light-hearted and fun, although definitely too young to have an eighteen-year-old as a protagonist.
~Roxie~
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Such a great review! My cousin is turning 12 and I am looking for some nice books for her. Thanks!

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”