Writing a Self Help Book

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Writing a Self Help Book

Post by Bhaskins »

Hello! I am a therapist and am in the beginning stages of writing a "self help" book. I have what I feel is a good idea, but am self conscious about my writing. I am wondering if anyone has seen any good guides to tackle writing fears? Or help with writing this style of book. I see a lot for help with writing novels, but nothing else!
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
RawRis1124
Currently Reading: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by RawRis1124 »

I'm sorry I don't have advice to tackle writing fears, but as someone who reads more self help books than anyone should, maybe my opinion will help. Typically by the time I reach for self help, I've already done my research on the topic. Not to say some insight isn't helpful or educational, but if the book is full of information that I've already read on Google and there's very little advice or instruction on how to actually battle the issue I tend to feel like my time was wasted. If it doesn't contain help, I feel cheated. I may not represent others' feelings on this, but since I found the topic here I've added it. Good luck! I hope you get over your fears. There will never be too many books on personal growth.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Hmm. This isn't a hard and fast rule and it's usually given for fiction but should work just as well for this, but don't try to write it all at once. Set realistic goals for yourself and take the breaks you need. I think that might help make it seem less daunting.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
WhiteLotus
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 1019
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-whitelotus.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WhiteLotus »

What kind of fears are you trying to get past that you feel are unique to non-fiction? I think you will find most novel writing advice can be applied to non-fiction as well.
You already have a degree on the subject, so you clearly know your stuff. In the initial stages you should not worry about whether your writing is good or not, but just on getting an outline, and then the content, out on a page.
Particularly with a self-help book, I feel like you shouldn't be overly conscious of your writing, because you don't need pretty prose; you need clear, helpful content (that preferably doesn't sound like a textbook :P).
I think if you work on getting all the information down first, ignoring all the nagging little voices by telling them you're just gathering the content in one place, the rest might come naturally.
Amanda Howard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-howard.html
Latest Review: Three loves and other stories by Lata Gullapalli
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Amanda Howard »

The book “How to Write a Lot” really helped me! It challenges all the barriers we create for ourselves that prevent us from writing.
Jeonju Sil
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Jeonju Sil »

i don’t known of any books to help with the writing, but I have also read a few self-help books. As an amateur, I’d say to not worry right now about what others think. Read and reread your writing. Fine tune it. Feel good and confident about what you write. When you believe the information you are sharing is true and good, positive and helpful to others going through a difficult situation, and you’ve given it your best-then that’s it. I’d be happy to read what you’ve written.
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I read a few self-help books, and most common thing they all have is case studies. You can give an example of a real case to show the readers your point. Of course, the names would be changed to protect the others' identities.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

Do you already have an outline planned, ie chapters/headings/sub-headings? You might already be doing this but I would set myself the goal of writing each one by one, instead of thinking of it as writing a whole book. That way it might not seem like such a huge task!

Return to “Writing Discussion”