I always have a problem with Comma

Some grammar rules (and embarrassing mistakes!) transcend the uniqueness of different regions and style guides. This new International Grammar section by OnlineBookClub.org ultimately identifies those rules thus providing a simple, flexible rule-set, respecting the differences between regions and style guides. You can feel free to ask general questions about spelling and grammar. You can also provide example sentences for other members to proofread and inform you of any grammar mistakes.

Moderator: Official Reviewer Representatives

Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Re: I always have a problem with Comma

Post by Wambui-nj »

Caribqueen16 wrote: 19 Jun 2019, 18:18 A comma is used before every item in a series, except the last. For example, "He bought shoes, pants, shirts and socks in the store". A comma is always used between two or more adjectives that describe the noun. "The tall, green tree stood in the park". A comma separates a subordinate clause from the main sentence. "When it snows, you must use snow tires". A comma separates an introductory word or phrase in a sentence. "On evenings, we usually sit in the garden". A comma is used before the conjunction in a compound sentence. "I came to visit you, but you were not at home".
This is so helpful...Thank you.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

Comma usage can be such a personal thing. Depending on their style, different authors use it differently. It's such an important little mark that changes the entire pacing of your sentence. Adding all the finicky grammar rules on top of that just makes it even more of a mess to figure out. Thanks to everyone for the extra sources!
unamilagra
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I typically follow the rules listed on this site: https://www.businessinsider.com/a-guide ... use-2013-9

When in doubt, I just reword the sentence.
Pamup52
Currently Reading: Do the Gods Hear Our Prayers?
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pamup52.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Pamup52 »

On my goodness I just got dinged really bad for wrong placement of commas I am glad to hear this happens to others. Thanks for the sugestions.
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

I make a lot of errors with commas as well. I come from the Caribbean and we use the British style of writing. I've realized their commas are differently placed. I got better marks on my reviews when I started using Grammarly. That's my new favorite app
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I'm ecstatic I found this topic, I struggle with Comma too and I'm looking forward to reading tips on how to get better.

Return to “International Grammar”