Official Review: Mayhem, Murder and the PTA by Dave Cravens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Mayhem, Murder and the PTA by Dave Cravens

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Mayhem, Murder and the PTA" by Dave Cravens.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Parker Monroe's life is crumbling around her. An investigative reporter, she's just been fired for an unsubstantiated article about a famous senator. Her husband died a few months ago, leaving her with the care of their three children. After forgetting to pick her daughter up from piano lessons, she realizes something needs to change. She's determined to start over fresh and moves in with her mom in her hometown.

Somehow, though, controversy always finds her. The music teacher at her children's school has just been fired, and the circumstances are suspicious. Not too long after, a dead body turns up in her stolen car. Will she be able to solve the mystery and not lose her kids in the process?

Mayhem, Murder, and the PTA by Dave Cravens is a crime/mystery novel. The story is told from the third person perspective, mostly following Parker. The protagonist is a strong-willed, tell-it-like-it-is, independent woman. She was the absolute best part of the novel. I loved seeing a strong woman lead. Yet, she wasn't without her flaws. She's still trying to find her way as a single mother, and her mouth gets her in trouble.

Some parts of the mystery are fairly obvious, but there are twists and turns that you won't see coming. The author leads you in one direction; near the end, however, there's a sudden shift. The book was fast-paced from beginning to end, but Mr. Cravens still took time to develop the characters - a win/win all the way around.

The biggest flaw (as is the case so often) was the editing. There were missing or incorrect words with the occasional wrong punctuation. The errors were not distracting but plentiful enough to be noticable.

Overall, I rate Mayhem, Murder, and the PTA 3 out of 4 stars. The lack of professional editing caused me to take away one star. I highly recommend this to any who enjoy action-filled crime novels. If cursing offends you, though, this isn't the novel for you. The main character realizes she has a cussing problem (or her children realize it for her), but that doesn't stop her from using colorful language. As for me, I'm putting Dave Cravens on my list as an author to watch.

Admin Note: This book has been updated and professionally edited since the review.
Mayhem, Murder and the PTA
View: on Bookshelves
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

I do enjoy a murder story, and I have no problems with cussing. Definitely a book for me then! Thank you for this informative review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

LeeleeByoma wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 06:12 I do enjoy a murder story, and I have no problems with cussing. Definitely a book for me then! Thank you for this informative review.
It was quite enjoyable. I think you'll like it! Thanks for commenting.
—Neil Gaiman
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I do not like murder stories ,so the only reason I would read this book is because of Parker. Seems like she's an inspiring lady , especially to single mothers. I enjoyed your review 😘feeling like I've read the book already 😍
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Shadiid wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 08:40 I do not like murder stories ,so the only reason I would read this book is because of Parker. Seems like she's an inspiring lady , especially to single mothers. I enjoyed your review 😘feeling like I've read the book already 😍
Parker is definitely inspiring, interesting, fun. It's really not too gory or scary, as some murder stories can be. You very well may like this one. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Sounds like a good enough story, but the bad editing would drive me nuts. Might give it a miss - but thanks for a great review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 09:07 Sounds like a good enough story, but the bad editing would drive me nuts. Might give it a miss - but thanks for a great review!
It's worth it in spite of the editing, but I understand. Hopefully the author will fix it up, and then you can reconsider. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This sounds absolutely intriguing and also original. Thanks for the amazing review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Nivi Gideon wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 09:36 This sounds absolutely intriguing and also original. Thanks for the amazing review!
The main character really did make the story. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

I always like "fresh start" stories, regardless of their genre. Sounds really interesting with a relatable main character. Too bad about the lack of editing.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

CommMayo wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 09:55 I always like "fresh start" stories, regardless of their genre. Sounds really interesting with a relatable main character. Too bad about the lack of editing.
Yes, the poor woman hasn't had it easy. Luckily her mom is available to help her out and get her life back in order. It was enjoyable. Hopefully the author can fix the editing issues. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I love your description of the protagonist--this book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Cecilia_L wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 10:42 I love your description of the protagonist--this book sounds right up my alley. Thanks for the recommendation.
I hope you do find time to read it. :) Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

Great review! I love the recent trend lately of stories about independant mothers taking control of their lives and doing outlandish things while still making it on time to do the school run. I'm definitely going to add this to my to-read list.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Melissa Breen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 19:14 Great review! I love the recent trend lately of stories about independant mothers taking control of their lives and doing outlandish things while still making it on time to do the school run. I'm definitely going to add this to my to-read list.
Well, in the interest of full disclosure, she doesn't always make it in time for the school run. However, she's trying, and she's getting better at balancing her life! She was a great character. Thanks for your comment.
—Neil Gaiman

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”