Good Fantasy Authors - still living

This forum is for discussion about authors. You can discuss specific authors, types of authors, groups of authors, or any other topics related to authors.

Related Special Forums: Author Articles | Author Interviews

If you are an author or writer looking to discuss writing and author-related issues, please use our writing forums instead.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Re: Good Fantasy Authors - still living

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

SunVixen wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:53 I really like Barbara Hambly's books too! But I forgot to mention her. Steven Brust and Naomi Novik are also good authors.
I follow Barbara Hambly on Facebook, which is great, because that lets me know when her books are on special with Amazon. I got all three of the Darwath books for like $0.99 a couple of years ago. It was fabulous.

Another author I follow on FB, that I didn't mention, is Charles deLint. He's hard to classify. I think of him as fantasy, but he's probably closer to magical realism. Still, if you like modern urban fantasy, there's a good change you would like his writing.
ErikaP13
Favorite Author: Terry Brooks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erikap13.html
Latest Review: The Eye of Illumination by W.C. Gorski
fav_author_id: 5000

Post by ErikaP13 »

Sophi57 wrote: 15 Apr 2016, 12:34 I have to recommend my have author Kelley Armstrong her Age Of Legends series is awesome. And Jay Kristoff's steampunk fantasy the lotus wars is the series I didn't even know I wanted.
I love Kelley Armstrong. She creates some of the best strong-willed female characters.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

DRigby wrote: 09 May 2016, 20:04 I'm not sure if he's put out anything recently but I loved reading the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind when I was in high school.
I remember spending most of my free periods in high school one year reading though Sword of Truth. It's an amazing series and now I kind of want to read it again.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sunvixen.html
Latest Review: Tau Ceti: A Ship from Earth by George T. Hahn

Post by SunVixen »

esp1975 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 15:03
SunVixen wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 11:53 I really like Barbara Hambly's books too! But I forgot to mention her. Steven Brust and Naomi Novik are also good authors.
I follow Barbara Hambly on Facebook, which is great, because that lets me know when her books are on special with Amazon. I got all three of the Darwath books for like $0.99 a couple of years ago. It was fabulous.

Another author I follow on FB, that I didn't mention, is Charles deLint. He's hard to classify. I think of him as fantasy, but he's probably closer to magical realism. Still, if you like modern urban fantasy, there's a good change you would like his writing.
I already have all Darwath the books. :wink: Also, I have Winterlands books, Sun Wolf books, Windrose books and some others.

It's good to know that some of the good authors are still alive. It was so sad when Ursula Le Guin and Tanith Lee died.

Charles deLint is a great writer, but I rarely read urban fantasy. However, I recognize his talent.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

ErikaP13 wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 17:11
Sophi57 wrote: 15 Apr 2016, 12:34 I have to recommend my have author Kelley Armstrong her Age Of Legends series is awesome. And Jay Kristoff's steampunk fantasy the lotus wars is the series I didn't even know I wanted.
I love Kelley Armstrong. She creates some of the best strong-willed female characters.
I have not read her books yet. Perhaps I will try to read later.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

SunVixen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:41 I already have all Darwath the books. :wink: Also, I have Winterlands books, Sun Wolf books, Windrose books and some others.

It's good to know that some of the good authors are still alive. It was so sad when Ursula Le Guin and Tanith Lee died.

Charles deLint is a great writer, but I rarely read urban fantasy. However, I recognize his talent.
I can't say I currently owned all (or most) of Barbara Hambly's books. We moved twice in three years. We got to the point where we were really picky about which books we kept. I kept physical copies of her Dragonsbane series. So it was really nice to get ebook copies of other books of hers that I love, and never have to pack or unpack them. :mrgreen:

deLint is really hard to classify. I call him more magical realism, but I also get that his style is not for everyone. His is a very literary style of writing. I can't read deLint books back to back the way I can Hambly, Pierce, or Saintcrow.
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

esp1975 wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 14:15
SunVixen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:41 I already have all Darwath the books. :wink: Also, I have Winterlands books, Sun Wolf books, Windrose books and some others.

I can't say I currently owned all (or most) of Barbara Hambly's books. We moved twice in three years. We got to the point where we were really picky about which books we kept. I kept physical copies of her Dragonsbane series. So it was really nice to get ebook copies of other books of hers that I love, and never have to pack or unpack them. :mrgreen:

deLint is really hard to classify. I call him more magical realism, but I also get that his style is not for everyone. His is a very literary style of writing. I can't read deLint books back to back the way I can Hambly, Pierce, or Saintcrow.
Dragonsbane series and Winterland series are the same series. Some of my books are paper, some are e-books. For example, Darwath books are all paper, but I have only the first Dragonsbane\Winterland paper book. The rest of the books are e-books.

As for deLint, his too literary style does not frighten me. The problem is rather in the setting and other things.
LinaMueller
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 261
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linamueller.html
Latest Review: The Wingless Fairy by Kye Strothers

Post by LinaMueller »

J.K Howling, V.E. Schwab, Catherynne Valente are my favorite fantasy writers still living.
Heart! We will forget him!
You an I, tonight!
You may forget the warmth he gave,
I will forget the light.

When you have done, pray tell me
That I my thoughts may dim;
Haste! lest while you're lagging.
I may remember him!

Emily Dickinson
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I have to agree with several above posters, Brandon Sanderson is a must. His Mistborn trilogy is beyond excellent. He has a standalone novel called Warbreaker that is really cool too. He is a prolific writer, but not necessarily a fast one. Though not even close to GRR Martin's level.

Cinda William's China The Seven Realms series is really good as well. Finally, an honorific mention for Kristen Britain's Green Riders series. Not finished yet, and slightly YA, but good anyway.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

SunVixen wrote: 25 Jun 2019, 13:43
Enjoy it if/when you do
SunVixen
Currently Reading:

Post by SunVixen »

ErikaP13 wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:44
Enjoy it if/when you do
Perhaps I will. Many people praise her books.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Garth Nix's Abhorsen series is excellent and I'd be remiss if I didn't add to the chorus of people who mentioned Terry Brooks.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
ErikaP13
Currently Reading:

Post by ErikaP13 »

SunVixen wrote: 27 Jun 2019, 12:25
ErikaP13 wrote: 26 Jun 2019, 19:44

Enjoy it if/when you do
Perhaps I will. Many people praise her books.
I can assure you, it isn't empty praise.
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

Brent Weeks is a pretty amazing writer. I also love Jacqueline Carey, though her books often have detailed sex scenes. Also Anne Bishop and Laura Resnick.

Return to “Discuss Authors”