Official Review: The Third King by Brian D Campbell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Official Review: The Third King by Brian D Campbell

Post by Adedayo+23 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Third King" by Brian D Campbell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Third King: Coronation is the first installment in The Third King series by first-time author, Brian D. Campbell. The protagonist, Ben Gilsum, is a shy, socially awkward but well-spoken young man, who recently moved to Washington, DC., from his hometown in Decatur, Arkansas. His brilliant mind and impressive grades caught the attention of a private government contractor, and after a successful recruitment process, Ben was hired as an intelligence analyst. Ben was a compassionate man with impeccable work ethics and high moral standards, traits which enabled him to excel at his job. However, his impoverished background had left him with a feeling of inadequacy, which had become difficult to shake off despite his newfound success.

Ben’s desire to do more for his community led him to approach a secret society called the Brothers of Herrad, in the hopes of possibly becoming a member. As far as he could tell, the organization was mostly philanthropic and, also occasionally donated their time to volunteer at events in his neighborhood. Ben is all set to join, but is the society as innocent as it seems? Is he willing to risk his job, and possibly his life to find out? Ben can’t shake the feeling that there is more to the organization than meets the eye. Will he be able to uncover the truth before it’s too late?

For a first-time author, I was impressed with Campbell’s ability to deliver such a captivating story. The writing flowed smoothly, and the story was well paced. Both the historical and archaeological facts were indisputable, and the author’s meticulous attention to Ben’s character and state of mind was exceptional. His character traits were believable for a socially awkward person, and you could feel his discomfort whenever he found himself in unfamiliar situations. The descriptive language was adequate for me to create a mental image of what was happening in the story.

I found the story about the three kings and what they each represented to humanity quite interesting. The idea that the three wise men from the bible were more than they appeared was intriguing. There’s no way for me to say more on this without giving spoilers, as it forms the basis of the creation of the Brothers of Herrad. All I can say is there were some controversial theories in the book that made for quite a fascinating story.

The Third King: Coronation is a character-driven novel. The author’s focus, for the most part, was on the protagonist, Ben Gilsum. The reader usually does not know beyond what Ben knows at any given point as the narration is from Ben’s point of view. While there is nothing unusual about this format, the author does break from it more than once allowing the reader to view other characters in scenes where Ben is absent. I would have liked if the author had used these scenes to provide a better backstory for some of the other key characters in the book; characters like Ben’s mentor, Mr. James, or his girlfriend, Angelina Rindge. This lack of a better backstory was the only issue I had with the story, but as it was more of personal preference, the overall quality of the book was in no way affected.

The book appeared professionally edited. The only hiccup I found was that from chapter 53, the font appeared significantly smaller. There were a few plot twists in the story, and most of them were easy to spot. Nevertheless, there was no predicting how it ended. I am expectantly looking forward to the next book in the series. Therefore, I rate The Third King: Coronation 4 out of 4 stars. If you enjoy reading character-driven novels with a dash of mystery, this is the book for you.

The Third King
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Looks like the beginning of a great series. The only thing I wonder about is why Ben would not be more suspicious about a "secret" society? He seems a bit naïve about that. You have made me curious about what is behind these three kings! Great review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

It sounds like a book that I would like with good character development and a mystery. Great review!
Shade-Tree-Reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shade-tree-reader.html
Latest Review: Deadly Waters: The Vietnam Naval War And Its Aftermath by Randy Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Shade-Tree-Reader »

Sounds like a great adventure in reading.... but could someone please tell me when the proper noun "Bible" became just plain old "bible?" This is the title of a book and therefore gets a capital letter right? I've noticed over the past probably 10 years, that Bible is no longer capitalized. I've asked everyone from theologians to linguists and have received answers from "its an attempt to vilify Christianity" to "its just part of the natural changing course of English." Any ideas? Thoughts?
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kdstrack wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 11:03 Looks like the beginning of a great series. The only thing I wonder about is why Ben would not be more suspicious about a "secret" society? He seems a bit naïve about that. You have made me curious about what is behind these three kings! Great review!
I wondered the same thing too, and he was a rather naïve young man. Thank you for your kind words. 🙂
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Prisallen wrote: 22 Jun 2019, 18:52 It sounds like a book that I would like with good character development and a mystery. Great review!
Thank you for stopping by. 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Shade-Tree-Reader wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 08:31 Sounds like a great adventure in reading.... but could someone please tell me when the proper noun "Bible" became just plain old "bible?" This is the title of a book and therefore gets a capital letter right? I've noticed over the past probably 10 years, that Bible is no longer capitalized. I've asked everyone from theologians to linguists and have received answers from "its an attempt to vilify Christianity" to "its just part of the natural changing course of English." Any ideas? Thoughts?
All valid questions. However, in this case, the spelling was an oversight on my part.
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I cannot believe that Brian.D is a new author. Looks like the story and characters are well thought out.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Shadiid wrote: 24 Jun 2019, 19:57 I cannot believe that Brian.D is a new author. Looks like the story and characters are well thought out.
Yeah, impressive writing for a first timer.
labibliofile
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-labibliofile.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by labibliofile »

The book sounds absolutely great! Your review tells me exactly what I'd love about this book - great character development and realism. Thank you for the review and recommendation! :)
"Growth is the essence of life."
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I have not read this book yet, however I could say that this is so interesting I want to read it right now.
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

labibliofile wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 01:32 The book sounds absolutely great! Your review tells me exactly what I'd love about this book - great character development and realism. Thank you for the review and recommendation! :)
I appreciate your kind words 🙂
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

Charlie19 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 02:04 I have not read this book yet, however I could say that this is so interesting I want to read it right now.
You won't be disappointed 😉
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

It is too bad there wasn't more backstory or other character development. I am used to reading first person style stories but their are usually more on the other characters and backstories. Thanks for your review.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:

Post by Adedayo+23 »

c4bersg1rl wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 14:49 It is too bad there wasn't more backstory or other character development. I am used to reading first person style stories but their are usually more on the other characters and backstories. Thanks for your review.
Thank you very much for commenting. :)

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”