Official Review: You Can Choose Your Life by N.G. Abramson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any non-fiction books such as autobiographies or political commentary books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: You Can Choose Your Life by N.G. Abramson

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "You Can Choose Your Life" by N.G. Abramson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many self-help books about the topics of thinking positive thoughts and creating the world you want. You Can Choose Your Life: A Guide to Experiencing More Peace, Freedom, and Happiness by N. G. Abramson is one such non-fiction book that fits into this type of category. Abramson believes that many people are in their own mental prisons by the way they are thinking and because of their perspective and interpretation of events in their lives. The author shares seven keys to begin a journey on mental health and five practices to love your life. He hopes you will discover that “you have the power to choose your life the way it is as well as the way you want it to be.” (page 5)

Many of the chapters ended with a section called “Your Turn” for readers to answer some questions from the chapter. This was added so readers could start their own journey on being free from mental prisons and to experience more peace and happiness.

I liked the quotes and poems the author used throughout the book. I especially liked the quote of Viktor Frankl: “… to choose one’s attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one’s own way.” (page 33) I also liked the poem called “The Judgment” by Russell Edson to describe how we often condemn and sentence ourselves to a life of struggle and suffering. This was a powerful example of how terrible it is when we are condemning ourselves instead of forgiving ourselves.

I appreciated that the author was very open and shared his past story of when he was a teenager and in trouble with the law, spent time in prison, and began his journey to change his future. This added dimension to the book’s contents, as he experienced how to change himself by using the advice given.

There was not anything that I did not like about the book, except for the consequences of the author’s bad choices as a teenager. Though it was sad and difficult, the author learned much from it.

I rate You Can Choose Your Life by N.G. Abramson 4 out of 4 stars. The book was well organized and well edited. I found only one error. The keys and practices offered for mental health and to create a life you love were beneficial and clear.

People who want more peace, freedom, and happiness and who are willing to start choosing their lives will most like this book. If you like reading self-help books and are open to changing your thoughts, you will like this book. This book would also be useful to counselors and social workers that want to help others on a journey to break out of mental prisons. If you totally like and enjoy your life and you do not like self-help books nor want to change, this book may not be of interest to you.

You Can Choose Your Life
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
imSunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imsunshine.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by imSunshine »

From the title itself, I want the book. It's very exciting to read.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

This sounds like a well thought out self-help book. It's sounds like the book is very organized. If I'm going to read a book in this category, I want organizing. It sounds like the author has some helpful advise. I like that questions are give to the reader to think about.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Self-help books aren't my go-to. I am, though, considering a change at the moment. Perhaps this is a book that could get me started on the right direction. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

It sounds like a straightforward self-help book based on simple but sensible insights. I typically prefer more evidence-based approaches, but these sorts of books can also give sound advice and do a lot of good for people who aren't too familiar with or interested in psychological research. As long as you don't make wild extrapolations bordering on the realm of fantasy or science fiction, the message "you can shape your life by minding your own thoughts" is quite reasonable. Thanks for the review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Some of Abramson's ideas sound familiar (think positive, create the world you want). He also delves into an area you don't see too often - forgiving instead of condemning yourself. I think this author can offer some new and helpful insights. Wonderful review!
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I like the part where there is a section for readers to write their ideas and begin their own journeys. I would definitely like to read this book
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

Being in my own mental prison is one thing I'm still trying to get out of and this seems like the book for me!
ericqmejia
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericqmejia.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by ericqmejia »

This is definitely a book I'd like to read. I'm looking forward to the "Your Turn" section that you mentioned. It's always nice to be able to apply the new wisdom one learns. Thanks!
CyndiA1
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 201
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cyndia1.html
Latest Review: From Drift to SHIFT by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by CyndiA1 »

I found your excellent review very helpful. I suppose I'm at an age where the "power of positive thinking" books feel rather cliche. Maybe I've read too many of them. In any case, I know to skip over this one. Thanks!
LeeleeByoma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leeleebyoma.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by LeeleeByoma »

It's always great when the author has overcome insurmountable challenges using the same tips he's dishing out. Seems like a must-read.

Return to “Non-Fiction Books”