Official Review: The Hobble by Andrea Marino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Official Review: The Hobble by Andrea Marino

Post by Bluebird03 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Hobble" by Andrea Marino.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Hobble is the story of Electa. Once she enjoyed theatre and dancing until she tripped over a stone and fell. Since that day, she has walked with a limp, or hobble (thus the title). She has received a mysterious invitation to an all-expense-paid vacation at the Kingsway Manor Inn. Feeling burned out and disappointed with her life, Electa decides that this getaway is precisely the respite she needs.

At this inn, she will meet many eclectic and lovable characters. However, by far, the most intriguing is Jah. He seems to appear out of nowhere. Kind, patient, and giving, he is said to have the most profound effect on others. Some begin to question if Jah could be the Son of God, having taken the human form to come back to earth. Jah is also described as a carpenter, in his thirties, and known to save lives and seemingly perform miracles. Is Jah the Son of God? Will Electa’s stay at the inn be what she needs to turn her life around?

I liked the author’s premise behind this novel. She writes of a young lady with a disability desperately wanting to feel whole again. I think her hobble was not only physical but also designed to represent her crooked and unsteady walk with God. Electa is vividly portrayed as being angry and cynical. She finds the entire concept of religion to be confusing. The author does an excellent job of putting you inside Electa’s mind. Mary, the innkeeper, is gentle, patient, and benevolent. More than anything, she wants to guide Electa into knowing Christ and looking forward to her future. I found both of these characters to be likable and relatable.

Also, I enjoyed reading the sections of the book when Jah made an appearance or was discussed. It was especially interesting to note the responses of others concerning him. Their reactions ranged from believing that He was the Son of God to just seeing him as a wandering carpenter, currently building a home high up on their mountain.

If I had to find anything to dislike, it was the constant dialog. At times, I found myself wanting a break from yet one more conversation. Possibly condensing some of these conversations would broaden the appeal of the book. Marino did a thorough job of interjecting scripture from The Bible throughout her story and explaining what some of the quotes meant.

Unfortunately, I did find more than ten errors (in the first twenty-five percent of the book alone). Therefore, I rate The Hobble by Andrea Marino 3 out of 4 stars. I am deducting one point for the errors. However, given these corrections, Marino will have a very engaging novel. I can recommend this book to Christians, as the scripture verses will be familiar and comforting. The dialog and quoting of scripture may be a deterrent for some readers. Anyone with a handicap and looking for inspiration may enjoy Electa's story. Since this book is without violence and sex scenes, it is also appropriate for younger adults.

The Hobble
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

This is definitely a unique premise. The characters also seem quite well developed, and I know what you mean about too much dialogue - sometimes a nod should do the trick.
Thanks for a wonderful review!
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

An interesting book indeed. I would like to read it 😊
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

I think this book sounds intriguing. It's too bad about the errors. Hopefully, the author will get those fixed soon. Thank you for a very thorough and interesting review!
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I don't mind Christian-themed novels as long as they're well-written and don't rely exclusively on the religious content, but this one might not be for me. Excessive dialogue already annoys me in many novels I've read, so I definitely don't want tons of scripture quoting and discussing on top of that. At that point, I might as well just find a Bible study group. Still, thanks for the review!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This reminds me a bit of Hinds Feet on High Places. It seems like an allegory of the Christian life. I'll have to add this to my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Shadiid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shadiid.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Shadiid »

I think Jah is a wonderful character. I wish there were more real people like him..I would like to read this book ,only because of Jah.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

The fantasy there is not really my type, however i think that the author has enough good idea to create a great story like this one. Great review
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

Seems like a nice and simple premise with a lot of significant impact on Electa and maybe the reader. Thanks for the nice review.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very unique story. I like the author's premise, and I find it interesting that she included religion themes. I think I will check this one out! Thanks for this great review:)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

What a pity that such a promising book has so many errors. But I still would love to give it a try! This book seems to have a really inspiring and unique concept. :) Thank you for a great review!
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

I fell in love with the title and it's meaning! Some books are worth the read inspite of the errors aren't they? Thank you for your wonderful review
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

Despite the overwhelming dialogue, this does sound like a creative story. Thanks for the recommendation.
unamilagra
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

I don't tend to enjoy religious novels personally, but I really like that this one used the symbolism of the physical limp to mirror Electa's walk with God. Great review!
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 23 Jun 2019, 13:55 This is definitely a unique premise. The characters also seem quite well developed, and I know what you mean about too much dialogue - sometimes a nod should do the trick.
Thanks for a wonderful review!
I think the author was trying to fit a lot of scripture information into the dialog and it felt pushed at times. Thank you, Bianca, for your very kind comments! :)

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”