Official Review: The Teddy Bear Chronicles

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: The Teddy Bear Chronicles

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Teddy Bear Chronicles" by Donnalyn Vojta.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It's been a little over a week since I wrote my review for The Teddy Bear Chronicles Vol. I, and my teddy bears STILL haven't picked up a pen or pencil or even crayon to write about me - not even Winnie the Pooh! Fair Bear, Love Bear, and Sleepy Time Bear, along with newbies Tiny Bear and Rocco Bear, however, still have plenty to say about their humans, Kelly Donovan, Richard Forrest, Tori Donovan, Chloe Stogdon, and the Alesso family, respectively. In Donnalyn Vojta's The Teddy Bear Chronicles Vol. II: Chloe's Crusade!, the stuffed animals again put their spins on things concerning the goings-on in their people's lives.

In this volume, Chloe is the main protagonist, and she's on a quest to bring down the head of a drug cartel. With help from her friends, can she find the head honcho and stop him or her? Can she also find true love with one of the two men vying for her attention? And what about Kelly and Tori - can they repair their relationships with their mother? Finally, who is sending these ladies flowers? WHAT "Secret Admirer?"

I wasn't quite as enamored with the plot for this tome as I was with book one, but once I really got into it, I enjoyed it mightily. Tiny Bear was a great addition to the series. Since he was attached to a key chain, he had quite a bit to say about Chloe and her companions. He really cracked me up every time Chloe was in a compromising situation with one of her men; he'd do just like a child, retching and saying, "Eeeeeeew!" At the same time, I really liked learning about British English, as well, as Tiny greatly enjoyed showing off his language skills. Rocco Bear was also a great new stuffy, though his speech did get on my nerves. He was Sicilian, so every few words had an "-a" attached, as in the sentence, "Ana bought me for Alesso on Sweetest Day one-a year when they were vacationing in the Italian Riviera, but I don't resemble a love or romantic bear by any-a means." I got that the speech was meant to properly convey his ethnicity, but it just ended up wearing on my nerves, to the point that I started ignoring it when I read. Even so, I still enjoyed his innocent observations. He actually thought that the "candy" that Santi was moving was sugary stuff! At one point, Mr. Alesso mentioned not looking a gift horse in the mouth, about which Rocco wondered, "Now, I know about Santa Claus, but who is this present-toting stallion whose tongue and throat are-a off limits for human viewing?" He was so much fun that I felt bad for him when he figured out that the couple weren't such good people.

The story itself was well paced, and the people were quite realistic. Chloe's Crusade! had a lot of twists and turns, and I never knew who in the FBI I could trust. There's a saying that "too many cooks in the kitchen spoil the broth," and I was really afraid of that happening in this tale. With all of the agents and officers milling about, it was easy for things to go awry. Additionally, none of the humans had full backgrounds in this edition, either, but it wasn't a problem. I knew enough to grasp their motivations, desires, and fears. I especially sympathized with Assistant Director Samar, who had a lot of plates to keep in the air and ultimately found them crashing to the ground. I was also still in awe at how distinct Ms. Vojta was able to make each bear’s personality and would-be mannerisms.

As in the first volume, this book wasn't told completely chronologically. Because each chapter was narrated by a different bear - sometimes even two or three - the story moved about the timeline out of necessity. I had no problems keeping up, but I wanted to note this for readers who dislike such moving about.

Sadly, The Teddy Bear Chronicles Vol. II wasn't edited any better than its predecessor. There were a lot of punctuation missteps, as well as issues with homonyms - still too many instances of "passed" when it should be "past" and "heal" instead of the correct "heel" - and misspellings. Missing, extra, and misplaced quotation marks were an issue as well. The author's tendency to switch between past and present tense was still irritating too. Two pet peeves were that the bears' thoughts were not italicized and that some of the characters were referred to by their first names while others were mentioned by their last names. One other thing that I wanted to mention was Kelly's nickname for her husband, Sidney. She called him "Sids" - to go along with him calling her "Kells" - but having lost a baby to Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, I kept reading "SIDS," and I fear that it may trigger other grieving parents.

Also, for those who like to know ahead of time: while the ends are all tied in this story, there's a shocking revelation at the end of the book. I know that volume III is due in the fall, but I don't yet know it's plot, so I'm just guessing that the next book will deal with what happens at the end of this story.

I have tears in my eyes, and my heart is heavy again at having to give this wonderful tome 3 out of 4 stars due to the typographical issues. Even so, I highly recommend this book to readers who enjoy books written from the viewpoints of inanimate objects, as well as proponents for the fight against drug cartels. I also have to caution would-be readers that this tome is NOT FOR CHILDREN! In addition to the drugs, there's a love triangle, some violence, and a bit of foul language.
You humans don't know how good you have it.
- Tiny Bear, The Teddy Bear Chronicles Vol. II

The Teddy Bear Chronicles
View: on Bookshelves | on Barnes and Noble

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like an interesting read. It is a shame about the editing, which can really detract from the story. I think I will still check this one out, as your review has intrigued me. Excellent job!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

When I read "drug cartels", I was surprised. Teddy bears and drugs seem like an interesting combination. Thanks for your thoughtful comments on this one. Due to the editing mistakes, I will pass on this one for now.
Niv123
Favorite Book: The Barnyard Buddies Meet a Newcomer
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivi-gideon.html
Latest Review: Returning fire by Linda rhoutsong

Post by Niv123 »

This sounds so different from what I normally come across and I really like the plot as well! Will definitely give it a read now
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I still love the premise of the series. Action and adventure (and some romance) but from the perspective of stuffed animals. I've GOT to pick up the first in the series. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
c4bersg1rl
Currently Reading: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden
Bookshelf Size: 2078
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by c4bersg1rl »

This sounds like a collection of books that I need to look into. The story being told by teddy bears is interesting. Thank you for your awesome review.
Carry out a random act of kindness, with no expectation of reward, safe in the knowledge that one day someone might do the same for you. - Princess Diana
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

So sorry to hear your bears aren't responding! I love this author's creative perspective. Thanks for such a charming review! (Hope the author fixes all the errors.)
Soonerchick656
Currently Reading: Under Currents
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soonerchick656.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Soonerchick656 »

I enjoyed reading your review. Your take on your own teddy bears not doing anything was very humorous and made me giggle, lol. I have not read the first volume of this series so I was a little lost as to what was going on but figured it out fairly quickly. It has definitely peaked my interest and I'll add it to my must read along with the first volume. Great review!

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”