Official Review: Fishermen's Court by Andrew Wolfendon

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Official Review: Fishermen's Court by Andrew Wolfendon

Post by Cecilia_L »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Fishermen's Court" by Andrew Wolfendon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Fishermen's Court is a suspenseful thriller written by Andrew Wolfendon. The story follows Finn Carroll, a 38-year-old artist of animated computer games, who resides in the home of his deceased parents and struggles with depression.

The plot wastes no time jumping into action; within the first few pages, Finn is attacked in his home and left for dead. He can't imagine why anyone would want to kill him, and Finn is further baffled when he discovers a suicide note left by the killers to frame his attempted murder. The note bears an uncanny resemblance to Finn's writing style; plus, it includes details involving a secret from his past. Convinced it is only a matter of time until the killers discover he is still alive, Finn seeks refuge in his former home, Musqasset Island. Perhaps his old friend, Miles, can shed some light on the situation. However, Finn begins to realize he may be trapped on the island with the same people who planned his demise. In addition to solving who and why someone wants him dead, Finn doubts which friends he can trust and at times, his own mental stability.

I must confess I selected this book based on its comparison to a Harlan Coben suspense. Coben has been one of my favorite authors long before his novels became Netflix series, so despite my slight skepticism of the book's blurb, I decided to take a chance and was quite glad I did. I can confirm that the comparison is accurate; the twists and turns of this fast-paced suspense kept me guessing from the opening pages until the very end. Additionally, the book is exceptionally edited.

I particularly liked the winning combination of the author's slightly sardonic writing style and his strong characterization of Finn. The story was told from the first-person narrative, and I was amused by Finn's flair for assigning outlandish nicknames to acquaintances and his ease of retorting with witty one-liners. I found myself simultaneously glued to the suspenseful portions of the plot while laughing at Finn's comedic antics. However, as the story unfolded, Finn's character revealed hidden depth, especially when it came to protecting his loved ones. The supporting characters were also well-developed, and there were a few of the "love-to-hate" variety.

I'm pleased to rate the book 4 out of 4 stars. The fast-paced thriller will appeal to fans of crime and suspense novels. Although there isn't anything about the book I dislike, the profanity bears noting. The author seems to favor a four-letter word that rhymes with "duck." In the overall context of the story, it reads as realistic conversation. However, I would not recommend the book to young readers or those who are offended by profanity.

Fishermen's Court
View: on Bookshelves

Like Cecilia_L's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Excellent review! I rarely pick a thriller to read, but you got me interested in this one :) I also prefer books written in first person. Sounds like an engaging story with many twists and turns. Thank you! :)
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Great Review! Now I have to read the book to find out what happens. Your review is as suspenseful as you make the book sound. I liked your "duck" warning.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Although there isn't anything about the book I dislike, the profanity bears noting. The author seems to favor a four-letter word that rhymes with "duck."
That's a very graceful way of putting it, though I must admit, it made me laugh out loud. :) It sounds like a very good, intense story. I'm not usually into such suspenseful novels, but I will pick them up on occasion. I'll keep this in mind for those times. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great review! This book looks very entertaining, and hopefully, that four-letter word doesn't detract from the book too much. I am curious to find out who is planning Finn's demise.
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

This book sounds really interesting! This is a really well-written review, and thanks for the heads up about profanity!
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Ellylion wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 05:29 Excellent review! I rarely pick a thriller to read, but you got me interested in this one :) I also prefer books written in first person. Sounds like an engaging story with many twists and turns. Thank you! :)
You're welcome. I appreciate your comment.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

diana lowery wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 06:05 Great Review! Now I have to read the book to find out what happens. Your review is as suspenseful as you make the book sound. I liked your "duck" warning.
Thank you, Diana. :tiphat:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 09:04 Great review! This book looks very entertaining, and hopefully, that four-letter word doesn't detract from the book too much. I am curious to find out who is planning Finn's demise.
Thanks for your comment, Stephanie.
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

kandscreeley wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 07:48
Although there isn't anything about the book I dislike, the profanity bears noting. The author seems to favor a four-letter word that rhymes with "duck."
That's a very graceful way of putting it, though I must admit, it made me laugh out loud. :) It sounds like a very good, intense story. I'm not usually into such suspenseful novels, but I will pick them up on occasion. I'll keep this in mind for those times. Thanks!
Thank you. :lol2:
Cecilia_L
Currently Reading:

Post by Cecilia_L »

reneelu1998 wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 10:47 This book sounds really interesting! This is a really well-written review, and thanks for the heads up about profanity!
Thank you. I appreciate your comment.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Great review! But the plot didn't really grab me, so I think I'll pass.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I'm not too good with suspense thrillers, so I'm passing on this, but it does remind me of a Stephen King story, weirdly. I think it was Storm of the Century. It's the tone that does it, not so much the content.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Wow, this book is very fascinating. I am already pitying Finn just from reading the review. Thanks for this. You've written the review so well. I will most certainly enjoy reading this book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
cpru68
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

This sounds like a good one. I am so old school and back in my day, language was kept to a minimum or at least it was used to a purpose. Now, it’s in all things all the time. I still haven’t gotten used to it and probably never will. I just read and try to ignore. Loved this review. I’m off to read some of its sample pages.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”