Who was your favorite character?

Use this forum to discuss the June 2019 Book of the month, "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Who was your favorite character?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

B Creech wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:14 I would have to choose the nerd squad as my favorite. They at least stayed focused on what they had to do, and their characters fit their role!
That is a very good understanble choice for favourite characters, their compitent and gifted in what they do.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 01:36
B Creech wrote: 09 Jun 2019, 15:14 I would have to choose the nerd squad as my favorite. They at least stayed focused on what they had to do, and their characters fit their role!
That is a very good understanble choice for favourite characters, their compitent and gifted in what they do.
That is a very good understandable* choice for favourite characters, their compitent and gifted in what they do.
Jo689
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Jo689 »

I am very neutral in terms of who would be considered a favorite. To be honest, I really don't have anything feelings toward Cynthia nor Sky. There was nothing that stands in either of them that made me admire them. To be honest though, if I had to choose, it would be Glenn, even though he had a more minor role in the book.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I like Cynthia's brother Glenn as well. He treated Cynthia just like a brother treats a sister, and they seemed to interact well.
Glenn also contributed to the story by keeping it locked into the plot. While Cynthia was getting sidetracked by her romances, Glenn was still busy at work trying to find terrorists.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Jo689 wrote: 10 Jun 2019, 14:42 I am very neutral in terms of who would be considered a favorite. To be honest, I really don't have anything feelings toward Cynthia nor Sky. There was nothing that stands in either of them that made me admire them. To be honest though, if I had to choose, it would be Glenn, even though he had a more minor role in the book.
Glenn is an excellent choice based on his character as a compitent, and great boss. He also develops this amazing sibling chemistry with Cynthia and I enjoyed their constant back and forth and how he could egg her on.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I agree! And on top of that they seemed delighted to do their jobs.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

VernaVi wrote: 11 Jun 2019, 00:30 I like Cynthia's brother Glenn as well. He treated Cynthia just like a brother treats a sister, and they seemed to interact well.
Glenn also contributed to the story by keeping it locked into the plot. While Cynthia was getting sidetracked by her romances, Glenn was still busy at work trying to find terrorists.
Yes, I loved their realistic sibling banter and how Glenn could always egg her on. It was one of the bright spots of the book.
Dikay127
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dikay127.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Dikay127 »

I really liked Garth. He was a computer whiz and pretty funny at times. All the stuff he did for the cyber war was beyond amazing and without him we never would have uncovered the secret of Sky and why he seemed so sketchy in the beginning.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Dikay127 wrote: 12 Jun 2019, 21:01 I really liked Garth. He was a computer whiz and pretty funny at times. All the stuff he did for the cyber war was beyond amazing and without him we never would have uncovered the secret of Sky and why he seemed so sketchy in the beginning.
I liked him too based on his compitent nature and how meticulous he went about his work. It is definitely true that Sky might have gone unnoticed if it were not for him.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I felt no connection with any of the characters. Cynthia was too unsteady for me. A terrorism fighting woman goes to a stranger’s apartment and is impregnated by him. That’s not someone I can identify with. Dan, he was a ghost in the story to me. Sky was just plain weird. And the two young computer whizzes just seemed like they had to be there to solve the crime. For me, this entire book was a disappointment. I don’t read much fiction, and this book didn’t appeal to me at all. I thought it would get better as it went along and it never did.
Everything happens for a reason...
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I would have to say Glenn. Cynthia was okay but she was getting on my nerves from the start. I don't know why, but I don't see her as a likable protagonist, especially after cheating on Dan.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:15 I felt no connection with any of the characters. Cynthia was too unsteady for me. A terrorism fighting woman goes to a stranger’s apartment and is impregnated by him. That’s not someone I can identify with. Dan, he was a ghost in the story to me. Sky was just plain weird. And the two young computer whizzes just seemed like they had to be there to solve the crime. For me, this entire book was a disappointment. I don’t read much fiction, and this book didn’t appeal to me at all. I thought it would get better as it went along and it never did.
That was one of the most accurate assessment of the characters in the story. So you might say the nerd squad were the one competent characters in the book?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

briellejee wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:58 I would have to say Glenn. Cynthia was okay but she was getting on my nerves from the start. I don't know why, but I don't see her as a likable protagonist, especially after cheating on Dan.
Yes, when a protagonist's first act in the first chapter is cheating, then they tend to become unliked theoughout the book.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 19:54
cpru68 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 08:15 I felt no connection with any of the characters. Cynthia was too unsteady for me. A terrorism fighting woman goes to a stranger’s apartment and is impregnated by him. That’s not someone I can identify with. Dan, he was a ghost in the story to me. Sky was just plain weird. And the two young computer whizzes just seemed like they had to be there to solve the crime. For me, this entire book was a disappointment. I don’t read much fiction, and this book didn’t appeal to me at all. I thought it would get better as it went along and it never did.
That was one of the most accurate assessment of the characters in the story. So you might say the nerd squad were the one competent characters in the book?
The nerd squad wasn’t even that great. They had to be included to solve crime. The dialogues with them were unrealistic and borderline high school. I just didn’t like this book at all.
Everything happens for a reason...
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

DC Brown wrote: 05 Jun 2019, 09:54 I liked the nerd squad. They actually got things done. A lot of the book didn't make sense to me, especially the character of Sky. I'd have to say he was my least favorite. He seduced Cynthia within hours of meeting her, provided her with after the fact contraceptives and then when to church to confess his sin. Which one?!!
I completely agree with you about Sky. I would also pick the Nerd guys as my favorite characters. They worked hard to succeed in their mission; not only did they have a huge role in saving the president but also managed to sabotage the Iranian computer network almost permanently.

Return to “Discuss "Cynthia and Dan: Cyber War" by Dorothy May Mercer”