Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any classic books or any very old fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Black Beauty by Anna Sewell

Post by iced_sunshine »

My mom actually made me read this when I was a kid and you wouldn't believe how mad I was at her going into it. Halfway through the book, your girl had forgotten she hated it (and mom) because she was enjoying it way too much. Long story short: make your kids read this book. It's amazing.
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

Veda wrote: 26 Apr 2016, 19:47 I was just reading Black Beauty to my cousin's kid the other day and fell in love with the book all over again... I agree with Judy in that now that I'm revisiting children's classics, I find deeper meaning in them as an adult.
I didn't know it was a kids book. I thought it was for adults, because the themes and lessons to consider are so very deep. :geek2: :shock2: :lol:
WardahEbrahim
Currently Reading: Little Women
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wardahebrahim.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by WardahEbrahim »

I really never knew this book was a classic bed-time story. I think it's brilliant though. It's important to realise that people are the way they because of the way they have been treated and thus we should be mindful of how we treat others.
paulkinyuao+
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by paulkinyuao+ »

As far as getting bonded to characters goes, beauty has to be the one that you never forget.
Carolreads30
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolreads30.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by Carolreads30 »

One of my all time favorite books. This story resonates with any girl and her love for horses. As a homeschooling mom of a daughter that hated to read, I can say that this book made a difference. As her love for her horse grew, I was able to introduce this story to her and found that she connected to it more than other books.
Bigwig1973
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Notes from Underground
Currently Reading: The Elements of Style
Bookshelf Size: 503
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigwig1973.html
Latest Review: You, This Is Me...OVER?! by Clinton Beaudel Dooley

Post by Bigwig1973 »

This is probably one of my favorite books. My family had an old copy, one of those cloth bound books with colored horses on the cover (which someone had colored on with crayon at some point in time!) I like the moral arguments the book takes, one of may favorites being when two grooms are discussing a mistake one of them made and one of them comments something to the effect that "ignorance is the worst thing in the world, next to wickedness". I loved how Merrylegs, the dappled pony, "trained" the children, not only regarding how to ride, but also regarding acceptable behavior. Some of the ladies in the novel stood out: the seeming shallow woman who demands matching horses, the kind woman who tells a driver that his pony is not stupid because it tried to turn at its' normal point, it is smart because it remembered. I saw one version of the movie but liked the book much better.
"...I'd discuss the holy books with the learned man...and that would be the sweetest thing of all...would it foil some vast, eternal plan..." Hamick Fiddler on the Roof

La Belle Dame Sans Mercy, Merci, Maria - Chartier, Keats, Hamik?
DyanaFl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 70
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dyanafl.html
Latest Review: Like Glass by Sylvia Wilde

Post by DyanaFl »

I absolutely loved it as a child!! Even though that time I didn't read long novels I fell in love with Beauty. I guess its time to go visit it again and get overwhelmed by nostalgia!
Fasmin
Favorite Book: We are voulhire
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fasmin.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fasmin »

Black beauty is heartbreaking. Seeing how cruelly animals are treated. Even when black beauty gets a happy ending the book leaves us in the sad realization that many many more animals are mistreated like this.

A must-read for anyone

:tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat: :tiphat:
“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.”
– John Green
WildaNew53
Currently Reading: Shadow on the hills
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by WildaNew53 »

I found this book to be eye opening. That the tale was told in the perspective of the horse was intriguing. The struggles of a horse in that time in history. Thankfully, we now the Animal Rights. Horses can no longer be treated like that without punishment. It is a wonderful story for all animal lovers. Well written, a true classic.

Return to “Classic Books”