Official Review: Good Girl by Norman Hall

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Good Girl by Norman Hall

Post by Cristina Chifane »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Good Girl" by Norman Hall.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Do you remember that moment when, deeply in love with somebody, you are asked to describe your feelings, but you are simply at a loss for words? It is the same with a good book. Norman Hall’s novel is a genuinely wonderful book. Good Girl explores the most profound emotions a human heart can feel. It teaches us never to give up even if all the odds are against us. It shows us that hope can spring at the bottom of the deepest well. It is about unconditional love.

23-year-old Jessica Anne Khalid lives in Wellingford, England, in a tiny two-bed terraced house, “her quiet place of refuge, her open prison.” Despite her two jobs, she has troubles paying her debts to the City Council or to the two men in dark suits bursting into her house every Friday. Jess also takes care of her sick father, Joe Butler, who stays in St. James Nursing Home. However, visiting him on Tuesdays seems an unbearable burden for the young girl. What is the dark secret that made Jess lose her smile? Where is her husband, Mo, and, more importantly, where is her 3-year-old daughter, Leila? Faced with dismissal and eviction, Jess has no other choice but to assume another identity. Bearing a new name, yet still haunted by the demons of her past, she begins a journey that will take her to the most unexpected places.

In the picturesque English countryside, retired Colonel Peter Jeffries owns a huge mansion called Chalton Manor. A widower, he has one daughter, Lisa, who is nowhere to be seen. Although he suffers from some serious health problems, Colonel Peter goes on a trip to Nepal, Himalaya, and climbs up to the small village of Lantang at 7,227 meters high. Since he does not find whatever he is looking for, he returns to Chalton Manor gloomier than ever. Little does he know that his life will radically change during his river trip on his boat Carician.

Apparently unconnected, Jess’s and Peter’s lives will ultimately collide in a surprising manner. The third-person narrator in the first twenty-three chapters of the novel alternatively focuses on either Jess or Peter. The remaining twelve chapters show them together and solve the puzzle of their troubled past. The story flows so easily and the characters are so relatable that I ended up reading the book in two days. I can honestly say that Norman Hall has the rare gift of storytelling and the incredible talent to create the kind of atmosphere and tension that leaves you wondering what is going to happen next.

The book touches on many sensitive issues: neglect, abuse, injustice, racism, and trauma. These are not overtly explicit, though. On the contrary, the scenes of emotional, physical, or psychological abuse are slowly reconstituted from bits and pieces. Situations in the present trigger flashbacks into the characters’ past. In Jess’s case, memories and dreams help us understand her isolation and despair. With great sensibility, the author describes the incredible carrousel of emotions and feelings in a broken heart. I was afraid and angry with Jess, I cried with her when she confessed the whole truth for the first time, and I was happy for her when she found comfort and support.

I highly appreciate the novel for its overall optimistic message. Without a doubt, it deserves 4 out of 4 stars. Apart from a handful of missing commas or extra definite articles, the editing is exceptional. I recommend Good Girl to all those who passed through traumatic experiences. Jess’s tenacity and strength act as a guiding light for people who survived the worst and reinvented themselves under the most difficult circumstances. Even if you have not passed through any kind of abuse or trauma, this book could still make you reflect on the things you need to be grateful for.

Good Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like cristinaro's review? Post a comment saying so!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

These book actually sounds interesting to read, making me want to know more about Jessica's life. Good work on the review
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I would enjoy this book because of the author's discussion on human emotions as experienced by Jessica. Thanks for the interesting review.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Jess's story sounds interesting and also mysterious. Finishing the book in two days is a powerful recommendation. This looks good. Thanks!
Zriz
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zriz.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Post by Zriz »

This review has left me with curiosity to know more about jess’s life. I’ll be reading this book once I’m done with my current novel.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
Bongekam2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Bongekam2 »

the story is story that teaches us to never give up and to always put family first in all things we do
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very inspiring story. I love that the mature content is handled delicately while still making it an important part of the book. That takes some doing on the author's part. It's a story that I'll keep in mind for future reading. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

There's bound to be challenges when two souls with their own troubled past come together in a romantic relationship. I'm glad that this book has a positive message. Great review! I really enjoy reading it.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”