Official Review: The Other Side of Silence by Richard Dew

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Official Review: The Other Side of Silence by Richard Dew

Post by LV2R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Other Side of Silence" by Richard Dew.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Luke Brady was at one moment welcoming the new medical students at a medical school and in the next moment (actually five days later), he was waking up in the ICU at the very hospital of his employment. The change from being a doctor to being a patient was an eye-opener for Dr. Brady. In The Other Side of Silence by Richard Dew, this fictional story of a doctor’s whole life changed after having a stroke, leaving him unable to speak, was very realistic. It was so realistic that I had to check to see if this was not a real story. The characters were well developed, and the storyline was well thought out.

Unable to speak or to write, Dr. Luke Brady finds it difficult to communicate. Against his wishes, his alienated wife, Helen, opts to put him in a small town nursing home. At first, Luke is angry and wants to be alone, so he avoids his roommate, Jimmy. The director of nursing, Martha Benson, has a personal vendetta against the doctor and threatens that he will never leave the nursing home. When his daughter, Julie, finds out about a past history that both her parents kept secret, Luke is at his lowest.

How will Dr. Brady fight all the odds against him in recuperating and once again find purpose in life? Will he ever be able to communicate his wishes again?

I enjoyed reading this book. This book had so many good thought-provoking topics included naturally in the story. Some of the issues were: love, self-forgiveness, hope, nursing home patients, loneliness, health-care givers, family dynamics, depression, suicide, and friendship.

I liked the author’s writing style. The author is a doctor, and this is reflected in the main character of Dr. Luke Brady. It is as if the author is writing a story about himself. I best liked how Luke, though having made mistakes and not being perfect, was a compassionate doctor with great skills to assess people’s health. I felt like Dr. Brady was a good man, but he also had to learn many things about himself and others to become the very best man that he was meant to be.

I cannot think of anything that I did not like about the book. I wanted to keep reading to the end to find out what Dr. Brady would do and if he could find a way to communicate. The ending of the story was satisfactory, and though there could be another book to continue the story, it felt like most things were concluded.

I rate The Other Side of Silence by Richard Dew 4 out of 4 stars. The book was written extremely well with only a few errors. The plot and characters were well developed. It was interesting and character driven, with only a few curse words and no graphic sexual content. This book would be suitable for anyone that would like to read a thought-provoking story about a doctor and his predicament of being a “prisoner” in his body and in the nursing home. Perhaps reading this book will give you a different viewpoint on handicapped people. If reading about medical environments and patients in a nursing home bother you, maybe this book would not be of interest to you.

The Other Side of Silence
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like LV2R's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It's said that doctors make the worst patients. I wonder if that's true here? I've read other similar books about doctors becoming patients, but each one is unique. This seems like one I should add to my list. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

This looks very interesting! And you're right it does sound like a real story. I think that's why it piqued my interest so much. That and your wonderful review! Great job!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Strokes are one of those diseases that can leave the patient at the mercy of others. I like the appropriate title of this book. Your review shows both the mystery and the compassion in this story. This looks great! Thanks.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

A deep psychological novel with realistic depictions of a patient dealing with the aftermath of a stroke sounds like an emotional read. Ideally, I'd love to see some character development as well. Thank you for the insightful review, I'll make sure to check out this book some time.
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

I love the cover illustration. The life like characters with themes worth paying attention to sounds so cozy. Thank you!
phills
Currently Reading: Hippocrates and The Hobgoblin
Bookshelf Size: 36

Post by phills »

The Other Side of Silence :
by Richard Dew... This fiction is very ironical to me for Dr Bradly after five days changing from welcoming his medical students to awakening in one of his employer's hospital as a patient is an irony of situation
Another irony is that he changed from being a doctor to a patience
Further more after felling stroke in the silence world we are meant to understand that he can not speak or communicate to his wife ..
I like the make ups and the introduction of characters in a carefully arranged manner thanks
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Illness can be an eye-opener, albeit an unwelcome one. It's taxing both for the patient and his or her family and the decision to rely on a nursing care facility must be a very hard one. Obviously, being a patient in one must be harrowing, at least at first. I hope this book sparkles compassion and understanding for handicapped people as well as an appreciation for the caregivers and awareness towards the issues you mention like depression. I wish more doctors could put themselves in their patient's shoes, as humanity is sometimes lacking in this profession.
A very thought-provoking review, thank you.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

I've never read anything about doctor and patient before. It seems this book is worth reading so that I may know about some of the doctor's struggles in general. Thank you for your great review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Ronel_Steyn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ronel-steyn.html
Latest Review: The Mountain and The Goat by Siamak Taghaddos

Post by Ronel_Steyn »

The idea of a functioning mind being unable to communicate simple things due to a stroke is alarming. Putting this into a novel from the functioning mind's point of view is genius. Thank you for your inspiring review. I will look out for this one.
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

Sounds like a beautiful story. A must read, thanks for the great review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”