Official Review: The Narrow Man by Kip Cassino

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Narrow Man by Kip Cassino

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Narrow Man" by Kip Cassino.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Karl Thibault has escaped from prison, hell-bent on getting revenge on any man who has touched his wife, Marianna. While he seemingly has had no contact with Marianna, the FBI and the cops are wondering just how he is able to get the names of his ex-wife’s lovers. As the number of dead bodies rises, a local cop and an FBI agent have teamed up to figure out where Karl is and to stop him from doing further harm. Just when they think they have Karl, he manages to outwit them and stay a few steps ahead. Will they be able to stop the serial killing or will Karl complete his vicious quest?

The Narrow Man, by Kip Cassino, is an action-filled psychological thriller where readers get front row seats to the inner thoughts and actions of a crazed serial killer, Karl Thibault. While the book is not solely written from Karl’s perspective, the point of views from the other characters offers a glimpse into the minds of those affected by Karl’s actions.

Throughout the book, I was kept on the edge of my seat. The narrative was well written and followed at a good pace. The author expertly blended the descriptions of the settings and the interactions between the characters to where I could clearly visualize the scenes as they unfolded. The ending was surprising and a bit of a cliffhanger, but it tied up nicely.

Moreover, the characters were brought to life through their actions and personalities. It was interesting to get inside the head of a serial killer and to see things from a serial killer's perspective. I also started to sympathize with Karl, even though he murdered a lot of people. This book really made me question the motivation behind some of the character’s actions, and it also made me think that some of the victims were not always as innocent as they seemed.

I thought it was significant that the author used PTSD as one of the themes of the book because it brought to light one of the struggles that veterans are facing today. At the beginning of the book, the author states that Karl’s dreams are what the author actually experiences, which I think is profound. Also, there are graphic scenes of torture and sex scenes, so I definitely would not recommend this book to younger readers.

Overall, I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book because of the intricate storyline and interesting characters. There were a few grammatical errors and spelling mistakes, but they did not detract from the book. I would recommend this book to readers who like reading psychological thriller books.

The Narrow Man
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I love a well-written yarn that digs into the psyche and motivations of its characters, so this book sounds quite intriguing. The graphic torture/sex scenes might ward me off, though. Thanks for your thorough review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The graphic scenes turn me off to this novel. Still, I'm curious as to how he is getting his ex-wife's names as well. Being able to understand his motivations would be interesting (and yet probably terrifying). Thanks for the great review, but I'm going to pass for now.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

When I'm in a mood to read a thriller, I think I'm going to take this book.
The first sentence from your review intrigued me already to read the book. Thank you!
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Might just add this one to my list. It reminds me of Silence of the Lambs and Criminal Minds for some reason? I also just want to learn more about Karl and Marianna's lovers.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I enjoyed your description of the story line. Books that make you think beyond the characters are always exciting. This looks intriguing! I think it would be an interesting read. Thanks!
Fiapaipai
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Fiapaipai »

A thriller that makes me curious of relations and how the hell he gets to his ex wife. New to Karl and want to learn more about him
tirionmorganna
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tirionmorganna.html
Latest Review: Confessions of a Manaholic by P. Pierre

Post by tirionmorganna »

Gotta love graphic thirllers will be added to my tbr.

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”