Official Review: Awakening by Jackie Goldman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Official Review: Awakening by Jackie Goldman

Post by inaramid »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Awakening" by Jackie Goldman.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Right off the bat, Jackie Goldman’s Awakening piques the interest with the visual elements embedded in the narrative. Our protagonist, Tess Shapiro, isn’t only a grade school teacher and a divorced mother of two; she’s also an amateur artist who fantasizes about being a spy. Through Tess’ comic book — several panels of which are strewn across the pages of Awakening — we meet spunky international spy and Tess’ alter ego of sorts, Andrea Chambers. With fiction mirroring reality, Andrea is first shown dealing with her husband’s infidelity — by promptly bashing his head in. In real life, Tess has just divorced her philandering husband, and there’s quite a bit of repressed anger festering beneath the surface.

That aside, Tess has a lot more on her plate. A single father at her school has asked her out, and though the attraction is mutual and he’d be leaving in a year anyway, Tess wonders about the ethical implications. Meanwhile, a series of terrorist attacks has been escalating overseas, striking close to home and threatening the peace of the French community Tess serves. Then Tess’ ex-husband contacts her with more life-changing news, pushing her to the end of her rope. Andrea Chambers can take on anything, but can Tess Shapiro?

There’s never a dull moment in Tess’ story — this much is certain. As we have a protagonist who projects an idealized version of herself through a comic-book alter ego, readers can readily relate to the themes of self-acceptance and self-expression that are prominent throughout. Goldman’s portrayal of a mother trying to do what's best for her children gives the story heart, but the element of Tess’ artistry (which drew me to the book in the first place) isn’t as developed as I'd hoped. Though not outstanding, Noelia Dickson’s illustrations are charming additions to the story, and I wish they are weaved more tightly into the plot.

Awakening kept an even pace as it explored Tess’ internal and external world, but the plot is pulled in far too many directions that proved too much to cover in just over 200 pages (131 in my e-book reader). Tess’ struggles to start anew, to find love, and to get closure with her ex-husband are sufficient materials for one book. Add in the subplots of Tess losing touch with her Jewish heritage and the revelation of a family secret along the way and we’d have a good-enough family drama. Tess playing the sleuth in what is purportedly a mystery of international proportions seems a tad too ambitious for the novel’s length. As a result, the book’s twist — which may have been mind-blowing had the mystery been given more time to take root — comes across as preposterous and far-fetched.

Goldman’s prose has a good dose of lyricism and wry humor, but many portions tend to get bloated with adjectives (e.g., “white candlesticks in their silver holders cast buttery halos on the blue and white linen tablecloth”). The use of interrupters in many of the sentences also tends to disrupt the reading process. Although editing errors are minor (a missing hyphen here, an excess comma there), there are more than enough to warrant another round of proofreading.

As a family drama with a touch of romance, Awakening is a fairly interesting read. As a mystery, however, it's missing the intensity and suspense that you’d expect to find in this genre. Readers who like character-driven books will find someone to root for in Tess, but those who prefer plot-driven narratives may get frustrated with the rather busy and unfocused story. All things considered, I rate Awakening 2 out of 4 stars.

Awakening
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like inaramid's review? Post a comment saying so!
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

The plot of this book sounds quite intriguing. The book cover also perks your imagination. But, alas, I was disappointed with the low rating. Tess sounds like an interesting character. Thanks for your review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It almost sounds like the author wasn't quite sure what kind of book he wanted to write, so he (or she) tried to combine them all. That usually doesn't work out well. I know this can be edited a bit to really clean this story up, as it sounds like it has potential. Thanks for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 May 2019, 12:38 It almost sounds like the author wasn't quite sure what kind of book he wanted to write, so he (or she) tried to combine them all. That usually doesn't work out well. I know this can be edited a bit to really clean this story up, as it sounds like it has potential. Thanks for sharing with us.
My thoughts exactly. Not putting as much effort into the plot was a missed opportunity to create something really special here. Great review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I agree that this book seems weighed down by too many subplots. I think the initial premise is quite quirky and interesting, though. It would have been really cool if Tess's artistry was fleshed out more. Great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
gen_g
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

The plot certainly seems fascinating! It's a pity that the book was so short - it wouldn't have been able to do justice to the many subplots. Thanks for the review!
unamilagra
Currently Reading: into the willd
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unamilagra.html
Latest Review: Powerballs by Jimmy Clifton
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by unamilagra »

Wow, the author really bit off more than she could chew with this one. I really like the idea of the alter-ego handling everything that is going on in her life. Too bad the book wasn't executed better. Great review!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

A relateble and realistic story. Your review made it even sound better. Thanks for the review.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

It's a pity to have a book with such an intriguing storyline receiving a low score. But, trying to include too much in a short story have the potential to ruin everything. Therefore, I think your score was just. I'm not sure whether I'll read it or not, but thanks for your wonderful review.
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Hiruni Bhagya 81 wrote: 30 May 2019, 03:27 It's a pity to have a book with such an intriguing storyline receiving a low score. But, trying to include too much in a short story have the potential to ruin everything. Therefore, I think your score was just. I'm not sure whether I'll read it or not, but thanks for your wonderful review.
Thanks for dropping by. The story has potential, for sure.
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

Seems like an interesting book, but I also thought that there seemed to be too much going on as I read your summary.Thanks for the great review!
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 13 Jun 2019, 00:57 Seems like an interesting book, but I also thought that there seemed to be too much going on as I read your summary.Thanks for the great review!
A bit too much, I think. Thanks for dropping by!
cledsam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cledsam.html
Latest Review: The Most Important Lessons in Economics and Finance by Dr. Anthony M. Criniti IV

Post by cledsam »

Great review, and spot on about the 'twist' ending. I was just left disappointed as the premise is amazing as is the mixed media. This story could have been so much more...
inaramid

Post by inaramid »

cledsam wrote: 19 Jun 2020, 16:45 Great review, and spot on about the 'twist' ending. I was just left disappointed as the premise is amazing as is the mixed media. This story could have been so much more...
I also thought the combination of text (for the heroine's "normal" life) and visual elements (for the alter-ego) was an awesome idea. Just a lot of missed opportunities here.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”