That One Word

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Re: That One Word

Post by Julie Petitbon »

Popsicle - For some reason, I can't spell popsicle. Popsickle, popcycle, popsickel - they all look wrong, even the correct spelling looks odd to me. :)
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

Acknowledgment - this is my nightmare word in any of its form. Even now I managed to misspell it, but Grammarly was there to help :D
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I'm forever getting words like piece and field wrong - I can't think of any examples where the i and e are in the other order, but somehow find myself spelling things with ei by mistake.
I've taught myself to spell "believe" right every time by just imagining the word "lie" in the middle, so now I just need to find a trick to make other ie words more memorable!
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

Rebeccaej wrote: 30 Apr 2017, 00:00 Rhythmn...Rythem? Rhythm RHYTHM!

I once misspelled it so badly my beta reader wouldn't even correct it. She just said, "I'm going to make you look that up yourself." Jokes on her! I've looked it up so many times, and it never sticks.
I have the exact same problem! Rhythm. I never manage to spell it right without googling it up!
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Weird is a weird word because when it's spelled correctly, it's spelled wrong! I before E except after C, or when sounded like A as in neighbor and weigh. Weird breaks the rule.

It doesn't even look right. I guess it can be remembered by remembering that it's a weird spelling.
Nisha Ward
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Not a single word, per se, but words with complicated vowel combinations are my bane, and I always mix up e and a in words that end in -ent/ant.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Amanda Deck
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Nisha, I always remember "independence" by saying "don't dance for independence, you have to fight."
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I love stories, reading them, writing them, watching them, but spelling has never been my forte. This sentence alone has like three misspelling before autocorrect. So I'd say every word or at least every other word I spell wrong.
Eclecticmama
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: Chasing Fireflies
Bookshelf Size: 90
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eclecticmama.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Eclecticmama »

Yes! Mine is business. I literally have to sound it out loud when I type it. It really helped me. Also just writing it a bunch of times over and over in different sentences might be helpful.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I am guilty for spelling "immediately" wrong pretty frequently, despite the fact that I seem to use this word all the time! Just when I think I've overcome this issue, it pops up in my spellcheck again. :)
Jlprince26
Currently Reading: Cynthia and Dan
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jlprince26.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by Jlprince26 »

Definitely, yep while I am agreeing with you.. I literally just got the red squiggly line under that word. Definitely, never fails, I still can't spell it, even while staring at the correct spelling... In this instance I love the red line!
- "Our children learn from us, teach them well, teach them to read, let them be free, and most importantly let them be children." Jamie Prince
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

Color and colour. My mind is screaming "It's the same thing please don't highlight me!"
Sassey
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sassey »

Words that pertain to the "I before E except after C" rule are a problem for me, but only when the letter C is involved. These words shouldn't be so confusing because of thier very special and catchy universal rule, but I absolutely must, every single time without fail, repeat the rule in my head if I am to spell any of these words correctly. Repetition of the rule for nearly forty years hasn't taught me how to spell 'receipt' or 'receive', nor have I been able to get any of the "C-words" right without referring to the rule. Yes, I have issues spelling these odd little gifts to the English language. I believe that the letter C itself is an odd little gift to our alphabet! Sometimes it sounds like an S and other times it sounds like a K. Then there's the Ch sound.. And of course, there's the whole rule thing that began as the subject for my answer. I believe that the following sentence shows the letter C's multiple personalities: There can be peace if I could receive a chance to chunk a piece of cake in Chuck's deceitful face. (Receive and deceitful were the only two words in the sentence that gave me any second thoughts as far as being spelled correctly)
Amanda Majors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-majors.html
Latest Review: Mock My Words by Chandra Shekhar

Post by Amanda Majors »

Actually, there are a few that when I type slowly, it is not a problem, but when I type fast, I make the same spelling errors. Some other words just look wrong, so I have to double, triple check the spelling of those words.
raylenejanice
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raylenejanice.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by raylenejanice »

queeennnkatie wrote: 05 May 2017, 14:02 Sociopath, Necessary.
But my main dilemma is spelling small words and then they don't look right, when in reality, its correct. Those... THOSE are my Achilles heel.
(more, are, out, shut, etc.)
This brought me back to third grade and the awkward moment I forgot how to spell "of." I just could not pull it out of my brain: Uv? Av? Uvv?

Nowadays I blame my decline in spelling ability on spell checker and middle-age brain. :D

Return to “Writing Discussion”