Official Review: Painting with Words by Ian Prattis

Use this section to discuss drama books and poetry books. Drama includes plays but not novels. This includes work by Shakespeare, Marlowe, Miller etc. Poetry anthologies can also go here.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Official Review: Painting with Words by Ian Prattis

Post by briellejee »

A collection of poems invoking the reader's emotions through the writer's own feelings and experiences. When you said it follows a Buddhist outlook, I, a Christian, might not want to read it. However, art knows no religion so I think I'll still read it. Thanks for your review.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
dragonet07
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 23031">The Beauty of the Fall</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1718
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonet07.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by dragonet07 »

While I've always had mixed feelings about poetry, this collection sounds particularly intriguing. I don't practice any religion but the Buddhist themes in some of these poems are drawing me more to the collection, as are things like the use of curse words in some of the poems. The cover is also particularly beautiful, so I hope to find equally beautiful and moving poetry inside. Thank you for the helpful review.
The more that you read,
The more things you will know.
The more that you learn,
The more places you'll go.
~Dr. Seuss
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The book sounds quite interesting and emotional, covering various aspects of the author's life including true love. I always prefer narrative writing to poems though, but I'm open to giving this book a try.
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

A book of poetry. I don't like poetry. Ill be passing this time. Congrats on the #BOTD
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I don't like to read deeply emotional poetry. I like poetry if it is about nature or love usually. I will probably pass on reading this.
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Wow, another poetry! I am a huge fan. Well, I am really okay with poems that are hard to understand so I guess I'll give this a try. Thanks for this.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I call myself a sometime poet and occasionally seek poetry, especially the light ones and those that tell stories. I sampled the book and call the poetry passionate. The pieces sting. Though not the usual kind I seek, the poems spoke to me. And I listened.
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

Thanks for the review. I do not enjoy reading poetry so I will pass reading this book. All the best to the writer.
RoadWell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roadwell.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by RoadWell »

Even though poetry is not my first reading choice, I loved the way that you have described this book. I also like that the author's muse is his wife which makes this collection of poems even more emotional. I am glad that you thoroughly enjoyed the book and thank you for the review.
Sanusi Yahuza
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Sanusi Yahuza »

jaliper wrote: 31 May 2019, 02:43 What I can say though, is that after you finish reading this book you'll probably find yourselves knowing the poet like he is your old friend. Every part is a different piece of Prattis’ puzzled life. He made sure to share every emotion and experience he had with us, and I think that is really brave and beautiful.
What I can say though, is that after you finish reading this book you'll probably find yourselves knowing the poet like he is your old friend. Every part is a different piece of Prattis’ puzzled life. He made sure to share every emotion and experience he had with us, and I think that is really brave and beautiful.

Well said Suzumiya. When I read poems, I read them with intention to know the heart and personality of their makers but if not so, my heart will be forced to give meaning to the works which can be good or wrong. I love to know others through their works and I'll have to explore this book ! I rejoice with Prattis.
Sumbule1
Currently Reading: The Five Musketeers
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sumbule1.html
Latest Review: Pancake Money by Finn Bell

Post by Sumbule1 »

I don't practice any religion but the Buddhist themes in some of these poems are drawing me more to the collection, as are things like the use of curse words in some of the poems. The cover is also particularly beautiful, so I hope to find equally beautiful and moving poetry inside. Congrats on the #BOTD!
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

Although I'm not offended by the Buddhist lifestyle, this type of poetry does not particularly appeal to me. It's nice that you clearly enjoyed this so much! Thanks for your wonderful review
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The cover accurately represents the book's contents since the author writes about nature, the environment, and war. The poems are insightful and reveal the author's state of mind during various stages of his life.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Imiebam Hart
Favorite Book: Demon Heart
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-im-hart.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill

Post by Imiebam Hart »

I love good and heartfelt poems but the Buddhist inclusion may make me decline this but this is a good review nonetheless, thanks.
ShiRah185
Currently Reading: Knowing He's There
Bookshelf Size: 180
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shirah185.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Loved Caravaggio by Belle Ami

Post by ShiRah185 »

Re: Official Review: Painting with Words by Ian Prattis
by: ShiRah185

This sounds like just the book for me! I am a helpless romantic myself and I would like to also read about the author's thoughts on Buddha, nature and the old mare. Wonderful review.
:tiphat:

Return to “Drama and Poetry Books”