The value of William?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: The value of William?

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am also wondering if his knowledge of the area helped the crew as well. It is a different thing to land in a completely new environment. Personally, it would be better if there is at least one person who has some knowledge of the place. Hence, I guess William was valuable in this. Their attempt to go and search for help was informed by his knowledge of the place.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

William's presence grounded the group. His decision to be the one to go and call for help is his greatest contribution that benefited the group.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Eventually, it is William's story that kept the marooned crew alive. I am in great support of his part in story-telling largely and also in going to search for help. It seems that their survival on the island also largely depended on William's exprience from the moment they landed there.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

William was their rock during a time of crisis. He kept them motivated and provided strength. I think without him they would have fallen apart more quickly.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Radiant3 wrote: 29 Apr 2019, 09:12 William was their rock during a time of crisis. He kept them motivated and provided strength. I think without him they would have fallen apart more quickly.
I agree :tiphat: :techie-reference:
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 05:59 The crew of the second lifeboat land on a coast of the Charlottes. Their situation although improved would still be considered dire. What was the major contribution William made to the camp? (From storytelling and scouting for wood, to risking his life to call for help)
William played a pivotal role in the survival of the group. Two of the most important things he did was to keep the group calm with the storytelling and by going for help himself. Both of these actions gave them hope, the most important thing for survival
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

He was a good "cheerleader". Words of encouragement is important when someone is going through a rough time. Good or sound decision-making is also necessary for living life productively and efficiently. That's why i consider him indispensable.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

William maintained his authority over the group and kept them from panicking. He made sure they didn't lose hope and he added entertainment through the stories he told. The stories added great depth to the book, and sparked debate between characters, much like it would in real life. I appreciated the nuances of William's character.
Midnight3
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Midnight3 »

The value of William was big .He instructed them they obeying straight to survival all the way it was extreme hero.It was impressive
Midnight3
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed

Post by Midnight3 »

The value of William was big .He instructed them they obeying straight to survival all the way it was extreme hero.It was impressive
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

I think William was the beacon of hope for the group. HIs stories were a great distraction from the situation they are in, as well as entertaining. Of course, he also took that perilous journey just to get help.
Life is a journey. Do not take for granted the people you are with for tomorrow they may turn to a different road. :techie-studyingbrown:
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

William was a figure of hope and the other crew members drew strength from him. Everything he did aided there survival directly or indirectly.
JGretz-7
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: The Formative Five
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgretz-7.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JGretz-7 »

William was one who definitely led by example. He kept a level head, inspired hope with his storytelling, and risked his life in seeking help. A true leader just does what needs to be done. He didn't do it for the accolades. He did it because it was the right thing to do.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think William was a large part of why they survived. He took the lead role, in part due to his age and experience, as well as his familiarity with where the survivors of the boat ended up. I feel like if he didn't keep them going, the likelihood of their survival would be slim at best.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think every action that William took whether big or small played a major role in their survival. But most importantly, he decided to go with Anne and try to find help leaving the little comfort of the fire. It was a big risk he was taking. Even after the injury, he made Anne leave and continue on the journey, knowing he wouldn't survive.

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”