Official Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "That Guy What Kill Topsy" by Peter Wood Cotterill.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

That Guy What Kill Topsy is a collection of short stories written by Peter Wood Cotterill, most of which are set in the United Kingdom or in Zimbabwe. As one would expect from a book with such an unusual name, the stories feature colorful and unique characters that have found themselves in quite unusual (and sometimes twisted or macabre) circumstances. It is certainly not a book I would recommend to young readers, as the stories contain frequent mentions of death, suicide, prison, sex, violence, and other mature topics.

The characters in the stories tend to be somewhat exaggerated in their behaviors, and not always overly concerned with morality. Much of the writing has a hint of irony laced throughout, and even the most shocking scenes contain elements of the absurd. One story chronicles the last inner thoughts of a dying man; another is written in journal format by a man going through a temporary bout of homelessness. Other stories feature attendants at a timeshare pitch meeting, a portrait of a man who dies by suicide (but not for a reason one would expect), and a man whose life is wholly transformed after he experiences a car accident on the way to visiting his parents.

There were numerous cultural references and slang terms within the writing with which it was difficult for me to connect, since my background is so different than the characters (and, presumably, the author). Many of the stories were heavy on dialogue, and it was not always clear to me who was speaking. At times, it was difficult to keep track of the various characters, as not much back story had been given besides what could be pulled from the character’s interactions with each other.

Nonetheless, the stories themselves had a unique perspective and style that may appeal to other readers in a more direct way. One interesting element was the author’s use of local dialects within the speaking scenes. Depending on the character’s background, the dialogue was written with the appropriate modifiers to fit the type of speech one would hear from someone from that part of the world, and it was easy to “hear” the characters in one’s head while reading the text.

For these reasons, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. Though I personally had trouble connecting with it at times, and did not always fully grasp the extent of the humor and satire that I believe the author was intending to put into the work, I believe there are other readers out there that would respond well to this writing style, and find humor and wit in these pages.

That Guy What Kill Topsy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I am intrigued enough to check this unique short stories' collection out. I believe it's not a very light read, but it's still worth checking out :) Excellent review!
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Thanks for the engaging review! I am glad you mentioned that this book is not meant for younger audiences because the topics discussed are heavy ones.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I do enjoy stories written in other cultures, as I like to learn about them. However, it almost seems like this author assumes you already know instead of telling you. I'm also unsure of the mature content in this one. I think I'll pass, but thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

I would want to read this story and see where it takes me in terms of the storyline. Though at first impression, I don't think this would be the book for me based on the themes. Nice review.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Given that these stories take place in another country, I can understand why slang is used, but I agree that it is hard to read. I'm not sure this one would keep my attention as it seems the stories were extreme simply to add shock value instead of meaning. Thank you for the great review!
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Wow! I didn't expect this to be a collection of short stories about people in unusual circumstance. The dark themes of this book doesn't appeal to me so I'll pass. Thank you for the review.
krysted
Currently Reading: Hiroshima
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krysted.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by krysted »

I loved it and just wrote a review!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”