What are your thoughts on the brief discussion on religion and spirituality in the cave?

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Re: What are your thoughts on the brief discussion on religion and spirituality in the cave?

Post by Amanda Deck »

Many people feel as though their particular branch of religion is the only one or the "right one". At its best, this viewpoint can be seen as obnoxious or rude...
There is another way this can be taken. At its best, people who believe that are desperate for others to understand and be safe and on the right path. I have come across that before, but it's definitely less common. And that's certainly not the motivation for what was said in the cave.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

I thought the author's portrayal of Randall's character as a closed-minded, Bible-clutching religious person was really sad, and frankly, it's my least favorite aspect of Adrift. I hope that readers of the book realize that not all people who are Christian think and act like that. As a religious person myself, I found Randall's attitude towards William's beliefs to be irritating and insensitive.
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

Everyone has a right to believe what they want, whether in religion or not. The truth stands out be that its a free world and judging others doesn't make you a better person
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

I think it reflects the real world where there's a lot of conflict of beliefs. Some thinks that their religion is superior to others and this leads to hate and impede on relationships.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

I agree with what many have stated before me, that discussing religion is one of the most difficult things for (most) people to discuss without bias. So many people have been taught to base their life path on what their religion advises, so it's hard to have someone question what they've "known" and practiced their entire life.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I thought the religious discussion was a good addition to the book. In a situation like that, it is normal to think about God. Is He real? Will he hear your prayers? Some won't believe or maybe they believe in something else, but the debate is important to humankind.
NIRUPAMA JHA
Currently Reading: McCoy before the fued
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nirupama-jha.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by NIRUPAMA JHA »

William's story was true but still the second mate denied it. It was a bit rude since different people has different religious views and their faith lies in the form of God they worship but no one can judge whether one is right or the other is wrong. :)
Scarlet Nicoll
Currently Reading: Churchill's Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare
Bookshelf Size: 216
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scarlet-nicoll.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah

Post by Scarlet Nicoll »

It will never cease to amaze me how someone can be religious and rely on that religion with nothing but faith, but somehow find it in themselves to question someones else's spirituality as if their faith is less than. It is not uncommon at all for people in peril to turn to faith for comfort. William's story was real to him (and in the official story itself) and I found it rude of the second mate to dismiss it like that. It makes him out to be an unlikable character (but still great story).
doesn't this reflect the reality in people?
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

As a nonbeliever, I find it often annoying if there is too much of religious discussions in the book I'm reading. Although religious views might make a certain character more relatable and developed, I often think that this doesn't add much to the story and sometimes it even feels unnecessary.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
SomaKenya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-somakenya.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by SomaKenya »

Yes, tolerance is all that is required of one another in this life
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

To question someone else's faith just makes the questioner look like they are trying to make themselves feel superior which only makes themselves look weak. In life and death situations, in real life, everyone turns to some belief system. It's how humans cope. The book did depict that somewhat.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

I believe it's important to respect everyone's religious opinion, and even if there's technically nothing wrong in attempting to convert one to your own faith, perhaps due to your strong conviction that doing so is in that person's best interests, the manner at which such conversion is attempted should not toe the line of demeaning, disrespectful speech and attitudes.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

Every religion claims a monopoly of truth. And it is often difficult to be a true adherent without accepting that monopoly. I'm not sure it is necessary to change that. But it is certainly necessary to recognize and tolerate that others are just as convinced of their faiths as you are.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

I wholeheartedly agree with this. This scene is just another example of the fact that there are people who are ready to believe everything (even if it gets ridiculous sometimes) that their religion asks them to believe. But they are not ready to accept that someone else could have their own set of rules that they abide by. I think that the author has given a face to this problem through this situation and wants us to ask ourselves if we are such hypocrites as well.
Clorinda Donovan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clorinda-donovan.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by Clorinda Donovan »

We are free to disagree about religion, but not undermining or belittling another's religion. So I must agree with Lady-Of-Literature that it was rude! We should be respectful of any religious belief, because if one is mocking or derogatory about someone else's religion it could backfire.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.

Confucius

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”