Louise as a Heroine

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Re: Louise as a Heroine

Post by Popcorn1 »

Louise is a strong woman. She is flexible and she is also fast to adapt to situations. She is also steady as a rock when facing problems.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

CatInTheHat wrote: 05 Apr 2019, 15:04 Louise stayed strong for so many reasons. Can you imagine how different the story would have been if she had fallen apart in the middle of the sea? Her husband still would have died. Nothing else would have been the same.
She might have doubted her husband but she still cared about him. I am glad that she remained strong when she was needed. She beat the Buckhorn towing tugs by scaring them that she would tow their ship to Canada.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I see your point. I believe that Louise's character was not developed deeply enough, so maybe that's the reason. I felt there was much emphasis on the failed marriage and this did not help her character.
Christine Penny
Currently Reading: Bad Medicine
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christine-penny.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christine Penny »

I completely agree, she loved that man, even loved to be mad at him, but when something happened to him, she didn't break down but made sure everyone got their job done and safely brought everyone home and the Express... she is a heroine in my eyes... she didn't play the victim or the terrified woman that Hollywood likes to have women play and it was nice because this is the way real women act.
YL_Eytka
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yl-eytka.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by YL_Eytka »

I think Louise is a flawed individual, and I would see her more as a tragic hero than a heroine. She lost a lot and I felt that she would have a great deal of guilt towards her mistrust of Larry and having things end the way they did.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

She was really cool when she took over the Warhorse. I guess its because she has gone through a lot that it made her tough.
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

Louise is certainly an unforgettable character in Adrift. It's impressive that she is the co-owner of a business with her husband
Larry. She is presented as being jealous, petty and disgruntled. Somehow she finds a way to pull herself together and play a major
role in the journey to tug the derelict Seattle Express, only to have to face her husband's tragedy.
Ralibeau
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ralibeau.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Ralibeau »

I totally agree with you. She was placed in an impossible situation. One that the average woman might have had difficulty adjusting to but, she came out stronger than ever, and even more determined to see the company succeed.
56lives
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-56lives.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by 56lives »

Yes Louise is a heroine. She had a nerve to sail with a husband whom she believed was unfaithful and hated. He had the courage to captain Warhorse even when her husband had been killed in an accident. This is the strength of a woman. Besides her, there is another heroine, little Sarah. Despite her age, she was the strength behind Myra when she had lost hope that her dad was lost and would never be found. Sarah even joined the expedition to go and search for William, Myra's dad, and his team, in a hostile location, far from human habitation.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Louise is brave, clever and extremely resilient. The way she handled the challenges thrown at her shows strength both emotionally and physically, and I loved having her as a heroine to this story
JessNWheeler
Favorite Author: Ruth Rendell
Currently Reading: The Girl Next Door: A Novel
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessnwheeler.html
Latest Review: Growing Up in the Dragonfly Zone by Marlana DeMarco Hogan
Reading Device: B075QN8NDH
fav_author_id: 3998

Post by JessNWheeler »

I agree with you. Louise was an amazing and inspiring character.
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. - Oscar Wilde
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I could relate to her thinking. There is a certain logic that can give a glimpse to the soul of the character. She is good.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I did not see her as heroin because she wanted to make money and she knew that if she found the ship before anyone else she would have the money from the ship.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I had a hard time understanding Louise. She is definitely a strong woman that doesn't let her emotions get the best of her. I agree that she did a great job navigating the Express and the Warhorse to the docks, but I wouldn't say that she was strong because she didn't let herself being affected from her husband's death. She was very cold towards him; even though she didn't have any proof of his affair, she hated him for it. She still doubted him after his death and showed very little remorse when she found out that he was just trying to get more credit from the bank. I wanted to see more of her character's arc.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Despite of her marital issues, she kept her mentality to be brave enough and make tough decisions to come out triumpahntly
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”