Official Review: And Throw Away The Skins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Official Review: And Throw Away The Skins

Post by bluegreenmarina »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "And Throw Away The Skins" by Scott Archer Jones.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

And Throw Away the Skins by Scott Archer Jones is the story of Rebecca, known as Bec, whom we meet on the tail end of her fight with breast cancer. The book is set in 2008 and 2009, and her husband is sent off to the middle east as an Army chaplain. Even prior to his departure, their marriage is strained, Bec noticing a palpable relief on both of their ends once the physical separation occurs. Due to finances, and with a desire to spend time alone to recuperate after her disease, Bec moves up to a remote mountain cabin on her family’s land in New Mexico.

Life at the cabin immediately sets off differently than Bec had expected. Rather than solitude, Bec finds a small but vibrant community of locals ready to welcome her and involve her in the local affairs. In addition, a small group of war veterans referred to Bec by her husband become fixtures in the town. As she grows closer to some of these new friends, Bec realizes that her own marriage is growing increasingly distant. Her husband struggles with the after-effects of her disease, and the strain drives him deeper into his work. Bec must decide whether to fight through the tension that plagues them, or to surrender fully into her new life, accepting whatever consequences come along.

This is a pensive and psychological novel, and at times the struggle and the subject matter hang heavy in each word. It is a story about illness, war, trauma, grief, and a struggling marriage, and in the midst of these challenges is Bec – a true emblem of a strong and independent woman. Through brief glimpses of her past, the author provides a vivid sketch of her essence, as well as the source of her inner resolve. My only slight complaint about the book was that we were not given more than just a few short scenes of her childhood; I had wanted a chance to get to know Bec a little better, in the past as well as the present.

The writing style is poignant but succinct, and at times the short paragraphs read almost like a poem. Much of the story was almost hinted-at by brief flashbacks into Bec’s past, or by the things that were left unsaid in conversations, which took some getting used-to but also contributed to the overall minimalistic tone. I was particularly moved by the author’s descriptions of the fictional town and surrounding landscape, which set a very specific mood that hung through the entirety of the book. It was almost as if the town into which Bec had moved had a spirit of its own, one that permeated the actions and choices of all the residents that settled there.

Because the subject matter does not make for light reading, this may not be a book for everyone, but I would recommend it highly to those who appreciate raw and emotional stories with complex and nuanced characters. I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars.

And Throw Away The Skins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like bluegreenmarina's review? Post a comment saying so!
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

Wow! This complex narrative sounds moving. I will occasionally go for a read that is this emotional. Cancer and strained marriages both touch close to home for me, so I could appreciate this as long as the timing was good. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Sounds like an engaging and very emotional read full with great and thought-out metaphors. I would love to check out Bec's story :) Thank you for an excellent review!
8amaseter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by 8amaseter »

The story is engaging, Bec moved to a new environment as a soothing balm for her ailment and a strained marriage. Though much is not heard of the activities of her husband after both of them left to their various destinations, the book is a good read. Thanks for the review.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

Recovery is a difficult process and having to do so and maintain a marriage in the midst of that pain is moreso. I'm curious as to what Bec's ultimate decision will be.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Rachel Lea
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Man Mission
Bookshelf Size: 117
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rachel-lea.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Rachel Lea »

This sounds like a well-written book, but as someone who watched a family member go through similar trials to what Bec experiences, I think this might be too heavy of a read for me. But thank you for a great review!
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one." -- George R.R. Martin :techie-studyingbrown:
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

It seems like Bec is fighting her own war - with her health and with her marriage. Your review is quite intriguing and I am curious to know how this turns out. Thanks so much!
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

I like the sound of this one. Beck seems to have a lot of issues to deal with and I believe tying these all together in a setting such as you have described could make for a very engaging, dramatic story. Thanks for your comments and recommendations.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

The title and cover caught my attention. After reading the sample and your review, I'm convinced that I want to read this book. I want to know what is going on in the town Bec moved to. Thanks for the extremely moving review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

Quite poignant indeed, the story of Bec. I however think of a survivor of breast cancer who is ready to take advantage of any lemons that life throws at her. Thanks for the review.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

Thanks for the review. It must have felt terrible fighting cancer without her partner's support. Bec's story sounds emotional yet inspirational at the same time. I'd love to read it some time.
Deval Sodha
Currently Reading: Surviving the Business of Healthcare
Bookshelf Size: 372
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deval-sodha.html
Latest Review: Speaks for Itself by Jeffrey Paul Bailey.

Post by Deval Sodha »

This is an intriguing book. The story is about illness, war, trauma, grief, and a struggling marriage, and in the midst of these challenges is Bec – a true emblem of a strong and independent woman. The book is an inspiring read.
The review is superb.
Congratulations on Botd 🎉
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

This is a pensive and psychological novel, and at times the struggle and the subject matter hang heavy in each word. It is a story about illness, war, trauma, grief, and a struggling marriage, and in the midst of these challenges is Bec – a true emblem of a strong and independent woman. Through brief glimpses of her past, the author provides a vivid sketch of her essence, as well as the source of her inner resolve. My only slight complaint about the book was that we were not given more than just a few short scenes of her childhood; I had wanted a chance to get to know Bec a little better, in the past as well as the present.

You make an excellent point. I would like to know the backstory and the motives of such a strong woman as the one you describe because, more often than not, our past influences the way we act in the present.
It seems like a thought-provoking, moving read. Thank you for your analytical review!
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

Life after coping with a life threatening disease can be full of hurdles at first.

Thank you for the great review.
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: Time Before Time
Bookshelf Size: 1015
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I can’t make up my mind about reading this one. On the one hand, I am leaning towards it because of my interest in Bec’s struggle, but on the other hand, I am not interested in her husband’s conflicts.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”