Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 15 May 2019, 03:31 No it doesn't change my beliefs. The book is only theories and not enough proof. I think Judas did play an important role ,but as a traitor, because Jesus had to die on the cross for us. I don't think Judas was another Master.
well put.
Uinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uinto.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Uinto »

My belief is well established with the books currently available in the Bible, so this book only makes for interesting reading.
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

MsTri wrote: 07 May 2019, 19:22
AKShanmar12 wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:16 I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
You took the words right out of my mouth! I feel like I need a shower, just thinking about reading this book!
LOL... That is a good analogy!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Jeater11
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Jeater11 »

This is definitely an unpopular view of the event. This does not change my view from seeing Judas as the traitor, but having this view is also a valuable reminder that in history the victor writes the story. Its good to see and hear other people opinions and views on this though. :tiphat:
Azrevread
Currently Reading: Orcas Forever
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azrevread.html
Latest Review: Ten Directions by Samuel Winburn

Post by Azrevread »

The book Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler does not change my religious beliefs. The author has presented his extensive research about the controversial subjects of the Gospel of Judas. I think that it is okay to read books written by someone who has different opinions than I do about various topics.
Jorge Leon Salazar
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jorge-leon-salazar.html
Latest Review: The Artificial Intelligence Rights and Responsibilities Act” by Alton Booth

Post by Jorge Leon Salazar »

Regardless of whether or not Judas was a traitor does not affect the belief that Jesus is the Son of God and therefore Christ, it may be true that Judas was not as bad as they have traditionally seen him
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Readerjorge wrote: 15 May 2019, 20:32 Regardless of whether or not Judas was a traitor does not affect the belief that Jesus is the Son of God and therefore Christ, it may be true that Judas was not as bad as they have traditionally seen him
Couldn't have put it better myself.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Uinto wrote: 15 May 2019, 07:11 My belief is well established with the books currently available in the Bible, so this book only makes for interesting reading.
I cannot argue that the book is an interesting read.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Uinto wrote: 15 May 2019, 07:11 My belief is well established with the books currently available in the Bible, so this book only makes for interesting reading.
How interesting would it be if we were judged upon the books we considered reading.
dg7+5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dg7-5.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by dg7+5 »

No it does not change my beliefs. This book closely relates to the biblical Apocrypha. Books that were omitted from the bible. In the end Judas was a necessary evil and was still a created being. God makes peace and creates evil. If anything this strengthened my belief and helps me to understand everything happens for a reason.
zagabi
Favorite Book: Killing Abel
Currently Reading: Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zagabi.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: B07PQ96B6B

Post by zagabi »

Once a traitor always a traitor, every one knows Judas is Judas no matter how white we try to pain him.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Roxanne Thomas wrote: 03 May 2019, 11:04 For me it does not change anything much, it however gives me another point of view from which to look at Judge's betrayal to Jesus. I have reached a point in my life where I don't believe everything that I hear, read and see.
They say "seeing is believing" but that has been proven to be wrong at times. I don't believe that there is anyone on earth that can answer the questions that I have with regards to Jesus, so instead I will wait until the day He returns and ask Him and His father Jehovah personally my questions.
I can also comment by saying by doing this, the author somehow also strengthens Christians more. The more you can answer questions such as those raised here then you are exercising your muscles for stronger challenges coming.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kibetious wrote: 17 May 2019, 03:16
Roxanne Thomas wrote: 03 May 2019, 11:04 For me it does not change anything much, it however gives me another point of view from which to look at Judge's betrayal to Jesus. I have reached a point in my life where I don't believe everything that I hear, read and see.
They say "seeing is believing" but that has been proven to be wrong at times. I don't believe that there is anyone on earth that can answer the questions that I have with regards to Jesus, so instead I will wait until the day He returns and ask Him and His father Jehovah personally my questions.
I can also comment by saying by doing this, the author somehow also strengthens Christians more. The more you can answer questions such as those raised here then you are exercising your muscles for stronger challenges coming.
You learn more from challenges to your faith and adversity than from agreement and obeisance.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
Wow! Such an interesting logic. I totally agree with you. Thank you for such a thoughtful comment!
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

No! Not at all. The book just provoke my thinking and reasonability. Or should i say it "proves my previous instincts right?" anyway i have a strong religious belief that cant be compromised by a single book.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”