Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Use this forum to discuss the Amazon's Kindle. This is the forum for you if you are deciding whether or not to buy a Kindle, deciding which Kindle to buy, or you already have a Kindle and need help doing something on it, need support or otherwise just want to talk about Kindles.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Re: Is buying a Kindle e-reader really worth it?

Post by Wriley »

I have a Kindle Fire and love it. It's so much easier to take on vacation than bringing several books. One of the main reasons I use my Kindle is that I can charge fonts. I'm dyslexic and Kindle Fire has Open Dyslexic font that really is better for me to read in. Amazon runs specials on Kindles so you can easily buy one under $70. Amazon constantly updates software and it automatically loads to your Kindle. My Kindle is better now than 5 years ago when i bought my current one. My older model which is model 2nd generation still works as well. It's just heavier. The newer versions are lighter.
bvitolio
Favorite Author: Raymond E. Feist
Currently Reading: Politika
Bookshelf Size: 141
fav_author_id: 12945

Post by bvitolio »

It is. I remember reading somewhere, and it made me realize and appreciate the reality of it, that going through airport security and all with your belongings and your kindle, if you could potentially be lugging around 1000 books in one small device! Absolutely amazing!
Jackdetig
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jackdetig.html
Latest Review: Why can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Jackdetig »

I would highly suggest a Kindle. I have a Nook as well, but I enjoy using the Kindle more. I have a child's Kindle and I am surprised it works like an adult one. Except they are about $50 cheaper. It was given to me from and friend because I was on the fence about buying one. After using it they let me keep it, but I would defiantly buy one if I needed to.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Looking for some guidance on if a Kindle is worth the investment. I like using my tablet as an e-reader, although it does not compare to a physical book. I want to know if the non-fire Kindles are worth the money? Can they accept other e-book formats? I use google play books a lot as well.
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

Is this thread still active? If there is a newer or another one someone could suggest I would appreciate it. Thanks!
Pixieval
Currently Reading: Your Soul Is Calling: Healing Our Ego Addiction
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Pixieval »

I got my first Kindle Ereader in 2008 or 2009. At the time it was such a game changer for me as far as finding time and space to read. Not to mention sneak more books into the house, and not worrying about the extra weight when we move every few years. Now, I prefer just using the app on my phone or tablet, and finally got rid of my Kindle this past summer. I can use the backlight on my phone to read easier than I could with the book light attached to my Kindle. As far as other formats- send documents to mine - Microsoft Word and PDF.
Lzygmr
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lzygmr »

I agree. Except when you have an actual kindle there are more free books that you have access to just for being on a kindle device. You can also jailbreak your kindle to be compatible with Google Play apps. For the longest I preferred Nook over Kindle because with Nook you can download the Kindle app and still read the books you have on Kindle. But Kindle kept improving more and more with their different subscriptions that I find myself reaching for Kindle far more than my Nook. I've always wanted to try the Kindle paper white because I honestly don't use my kindle for anything other than reading and I can play games and such on my phone.
CJHeigelmann wrote: 01 Aug 2018, 11:27 I believe that a good Android tablet is much more versatile than any one specific type of Kindle tablet. Several free apps can duplicate any function of any ereader, and also uses the kindle app !
sharonearly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharonearly.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by sharonearly »

In my opinion buying a kindle is a sound choice for anyone that likes to read. I have five kindle readers. I got one as a Christmas present when they first came out. Three years later my boyfriend bought me a kindle paperwhite so that reading my kindle would be easier on my eyes and just to upgrade my hardware. I absolutely loved both of my kindle readers from the first moment that I received them.

Many Kindle books are serialized (written in episodic series) I have always loved books that come in a series so I can check in on some of my favorite storybook characters. When you really love a book you sometimes hate that it ends and want to hear more of the adventures of the well loved characters right? A lot of serialized books are comprised of fairly short novelettes to create interest in the other books in the series, to keep the prices low, and garner a following of loyal readers.

There are a number of apps and groups on Facebook, Myspace, and standalone sites that each give away five or more new Kindle titles every day. When I first got my Kindle I joined three of these sites mailing lists and quickly accumulated a large number of titles. In one of my kindles I have over 1400 books and I have only bought three books in all the time I have been using a kindle. :techie-studyingbrown:

A couple of years ago we picked up another kindle in a thrift store for 2 dollars. It only had two books in it! So I started putting all of my cookbooks into the newly acquired kindle. My boyfriend found two more over the next few months for a steal and bought them too. He even made me a floating protective cover for my kindle so that there would be no kindle accidents in the bathtub. Over the years there has been more than a few paperbacks that have been drowned in my bathtub.

So in conclusion, you can carry thousands of books in one convenient little 7 inch 7 ounce holder so owning a kindle is economical both for space and convenience. No matter how much any one of those books would weight printed it remains 7 ounces. It's easy to move books from your library on Amazon to any one of multiple devices. Finally there are thousands upon thousands of books published for Kindle some of your favorite print book authors and some new authors that you will be glad to have found. My answer is a resounding "yes!" buying a Kindle e reader is well worth it!
Kitty2009
Currently Reading: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God)
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Kitty2009 »

For over twenty years I never thought I would use an e reader. Then a few years ago I started having trouble with my eye sight. I was left with two choices being limited on the books I was and wasn’t able to read due to print size and or an outrageous price tag, or reading audiobooks. These two choices had major pros and cons to them, but I didn’t realize until two years ago that I had a much more cost effective option. The kindle fire has completely changed the way I read. I quickly discovered with in my first few weeks of owning the device just how accessible the user interface is. Instead of having to decline purchasing a book because of tiny print I was able to increase and decrease the size of the text as needed. I also have introduced the accessibility of the kindle to my blind fiancé and he is able to use his Alexa device to have kindle books read to him. I couldn’t be happier with my decision to use an e reader.
Alice2019
Currently Reading: It's All Good: Times and Events I'd Never Want to Change
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Alice2019 »

No, I had a Kindle Fire before. I think iPad is a better choice for the color and resolution.
Novelbound
Currently Reading: She Walks These Hills
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-novelbound.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Novelbound »

I highly recommend the Kindle Paperwhite to all readers thinking about getting an ereader. Kindles are designed for reading for long periods and use eink technology, which makes the screen look like actual book pages and is better for the eyes than tablets. Also, unlike tablets, Kindles use a front light instead of a backlight, so it's not as harmful to the eyes. They've recently upgraded the Paperwhite to be waterproof too. Even the basic Kindle now has a frontlight. I think it's a good investment if you enjoy reading ebooks.
I use my iPad for graphic novels and magazines, but everything else is read on my Paperwhite.
bespectacledpetal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bespectacledpetal.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by bespectacledpetal »

I bought a kindle due to the convenience. I live in Trinidad & Tobago. Because of this, it takes longer than usual to get books I order. With a kindle, I get it immediately. The amount of storage space was also a deciding point for me. My kindle stores a huge amount of books. If I had the amount of books as hard copies as I do on my kindle I would have no space in my house. Lol The Kindle Fire tablets are also more convenient because I can read comfortably at night without having to turn on the light. Occasionally I do buy normal books because I mean, come on, the smell is amazing! Lol. I know old fashioned bibliophiles will be aghast but I adore my kindle fire tablet
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I agree with other posts! Kindle is amazing. I have an app called libby that lets me check out books from my library to my kindle. I am on my 2nd one. I had a kindle keyboard for a very long time and it finally died. I traded it in to amazon and got a small credit towards the newer one. I love that I can read at night and not disturb my husband. It's also handy for travel.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Lena_Goetz
Currently Reading: Firelight
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Lena_Goetz »

At first, I was also hesitant to buy a kindle, since I love the feeling of having a hardcopy and being able to turn the pages. However, I ended up buying one anyway when I went to university. A kindle does not only save a lot of space, but it allows you to take many different books with you at all time. I am very happy with my kindle paperwhite and would definitely recommend it to anyone who loves to read. :techie-studyinggray:
EllaWrite
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by EllaWrite »

I won a kindle in a competition 5 years ago - I too was in love with physical books and so never thought I would get a kindle - and I love it. Its so much easier to travel with and as someone who devours books in a few days its so much easier to get sequels and series, no more waiting until I can get to the book shop or for a delivery. Plus, the little kindle makes it so much easier to read before going to sleep as it is easier to hold than the big physical book!
If you are someone who is more interested in the story than the physical book then a kindle will make your reading life so much easier.

Return to “Kindle Discussion and Support”