The author's inspiration.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The author's inspiration.

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

briellejee wrote: 12 May 2019, 06:32 Also, I think the notion "people aren't born villains" was the other reason for the author to dig in much deeper about Judas. Judas, being the bad guy, surely has a "backstory" that may have contributed to him being a traitor. Though a creative approach, I don't think twisting the bible itself is a good thing.
Traitors can be heroes.
iann88
Currently Reading: Adrifr
Bookshelf Size: 21

Post by iann88 »

I think the author just wants to challenge people especially christians about how strong their faith is and the author just want to change people's common belief about Judas.
DogoMulla
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dogomulla.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by DogoMulla »

In my humble opinion, most of us feel whatever spiritual intelligence we possess is the gospel truth - no pun intended. What follows is further research and learning of whatever religion we 'stumbled upon'. That said, the author's inspiration might have been his 'strong convictions'. Whichever material and research he did is just that, more information and theories.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

maritzaalston wrote: 11 May 2019, 10:13 Inspiration sometimes comes from within. Sometimes listening to someone or witnessing an event may inspire. A book may inspire to learn more or act. In thinking about what inspires me and my journey, it is sharing the knowledge I have gained.
That was my intention also, inspired by Dr. Robert Eisenman. Dead Sea Scrolls expert.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

briellejee wrote: 12 May 2019, 06:30
Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
I agree on this one that Dan Brown may have planted a seed on the curious minds with his books.
Maybe. But he is a fiction author. Not me. I find reality more interesting than fiction and always have. I could never write what the Gospel authors dreamed up. That is a marvelous accomplishment.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

katinabuchanan5 wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:11 I think the author was inspired by Judas. I think the author is looking for like minds in search of a place to practice his beliefs free of criticism or argument. I think the author is inspired by past and current religious figures for whom he share lifestyle but not reason. So, he is motivated to talk a little about his inner self.
I was inspired by Dr. Robert Eisenman. I just think this stuff is fascinating. Don't you? I hope so. That would gratify me.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Kibetious wrote: 03 May 2019, 22:44
Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
I have not encountered the works f Dan Brown before but I guess now that I have seen his name here, I might as well dig deeper to see what he had to say too.
Read mythicists instead. Dan Brown is more like Van Daniken. Truth is stranger than fiction
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 May 2019, 21:26 I also got the impression that the author was inspired by Gnostic beliefs. I once heard a very thought-provoking sermon suggesting how Judas's life would have differed if had waited three days rather than acting on impulses. I feel compassion for Judas, but I don't agree he was the Savior.
I don't say Judas was a savior. I say James was.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Exactly!!! The Da Vinci Code really got me started on researching Gnosticism and I ended up on so many various tangents. I’m not Christian so I’ve always read the Bible as history and it is fascinating
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I believe that an author's inspiration to write a book is his imagination and his perception of viewing life.
zainherb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zainherb.html
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel

Post by zainherb »

I think the author simply meant to put forward his thoughts and findings in an academic/professional way. Something that can provoke further thoughts from other academics on the subject.
Latest Review: Legacy by Chris Coppel
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

zainherb wrote: 13 May 2019, 05:02 I think the author simply meant to put forward his thoughts and findings in an academic/professional way. Something that can provoke further thoughts from other academics on the subject.
I can't tell you how many scholars I have approached about this. How could they all get the wrong guy at the climax of something as important as the Gospel of Judas? The "man who bears me" is JUDAS, not Jesus! No interest so far. None. Zip, zero, nada.

This is the most interesting and important discovery EVER, given the importance of Christianity. I'm fascinated by it.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Like everyone else who has commented here, I too believe that the author found his inspiration from Gnostic beliefs. However, I do think that he - like everybody else - is entitled to his beliefs, and it is has often been written that Judas also had multiple good qualities. However, it is his one crucial mistake that led to his downfall.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown:
Ekta+ wrote: 12 May 2019, 22:32 I believe that an author's inspiration to write a book is his imagination and his perception of viewing life.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Swat3737 wrote: 12 May 2019, 22:24
Exactly!!! The Da Vinci Code really got me started on researching Gnosticism and I ended up on so many various tangents. I’m not Christian so I’ve always read the Bible as history and it is fascinating
Absolutely! The Bible really worth exploring just because of all the great stories it tells :)

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”