Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Re: Do you think this book marks the end or christianity?

Post by kdstrack »

Many attempts have been made to eliminate all Christianity. Human efforts against a divine plan all come to the same end. History teaches us that persecution frequently serves as the impetus to spread Christianity as believers move to different areas and begin spreading their faith in new areas. I do think the book could cause some people to doubt their beliefs. Bring all Christianity to an end? No.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I don't think so at all. It might offer a different perspective to analyze but it will in no say shake a whole belief system as a whole.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think saying that this book might be the end of Christianity is a little of a stretch. People tend to be very ingrained in their beliefs and it wouldn't be easy to sway people who, for instance, have grown up in the faith. It would take more than a book to do that, though it could be one of the contributing factors.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

kdstrack wrote: 10 May 2019, 10:11 Many attempts have been made to eliminate all Christianity. Human efforts against a divine plan all come to the same end. History teaches us that persecution frequently serves as the impetus to spread Christianity as believers move to different areas and begin spreading their faith in new areas. I do think the book could cause some people to doubt their beliefs. Bring all Christianity to an end? No.
I am the author. Historically, the 'persecution' was mainly Christian conquerors over the natives.It is truly a horrific litany. I am thinking now of Hawaii, as an example, since that is my chosen home. I used to be a Christian. So, I am not a Christian-basher, as so many like to think. I do this for you.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Dragonsend wrote: 06 May 2019, 11:21 There have been so many controversial books, papers, "lost manuscripts," reinterpretations, etc. I don't believe this will have a huge impact, and I have to say just because I don't agree to believe something, it doesn't mean that I don't appreciate another point of view. However, if you start out from a point that is based on unsound doctrine to begin with then you are easily led. I appreciate what other people have said, end Christianity, no, but "bias does permeate" the whole thing.
Would you please tell me what 'unsound doctrine' you refer to?
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I don't know the author's intention but whatever is, I'm sure it's structured to counter Christians ’ belief. What I'm sure of is that it cannot lure all Christians to doubt their faith but some might definitely take the bait. Personally, I'm planning to read the book out of curiosity but I'm sure it can't sow doubt in me.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Fazzier wrote: 11 May 2019, 08:59 I don't know the author's intention but whatever is, I'm sure it's structured to counter Christians ’ belief. What I'm sure of is that it cannot lure all Christians to doubt their faith but some might definitely take the bait. Personally, I'm planning to read the book out of curiosity but I'm sure it can't sow doubt in me.
I don't 'bait.' I am presenting NEW evidence that we all need to know. You make your own mind up as to how significant it may be. We did not have the Nag Hammadi Library until the 70's, the Gospel of Judas in 2006. We now know the New Testament Gospels were not historical, and not in any way original.
lydiaperri1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by lydiaperri1 »

I do not think the author put an end to Christianity. However, I do think that if someone who is heavily a christian reads this, they may have some doubts and some concerns about what they have believed in all of this time.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

One book cannot put an end to a religion which has been here for centuries. Religion is very much about faith, and even if a topic is thoroughly researched, it does not mean that the findings will be accepted. People will still believe what they care to believe.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Miercoles wrote: 11 May 2019, 22:15 One book cannot put an end to a religion which has been here for centuries. Religion is very much about faith, and even if a topic is thoroughly researched, it does not mean that the findings will be accepted. People will still believe what they care to believe.
I'm not interested in forming people's opinions. I am here to present the true facts that eliminate the possibility that Christianity has a basis in history. It doesn't. Others have done it before me, but this is period evidence never before seen and identified correctly. Not until now. Judas is the sacrifice, not Jesus, in the Gospel of Judas, and at least 24 details in the Apocalypses of James were inverted to become the Betrayal of Christ. It matters. The Betrayal of Christ story is not original. It was made up. I proved it.

I don't leave people hanging, though. There ARE Saviors. They come all the time. The Church just didn't want you to know. Simple as that. Radha Soami Satsang Beas - rssb [dot] org - is there for all see. My first book is called The Bible says Saviors - Obadiah 1:21. Eva Dorrington reviewed both of my books here, with 4 of 4 star reviews.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think it marks the end of Christianity, which I believe is also stated in the bible about adding words to the Holy Scripture will make you lose your name in the Book of Life. This book could be dangerous especially because it plants seeds of doubt to people who don't have a strong foundation of their faith. I don't think the author intended to attack Christianity. He just wanted to share the "hidden" knowledge he had found, but then knowledge is a double-edged sword.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
jessinikkip
Currently Reading: Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
Bookshelf Size: 445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessinikkip.html
Latest Review: Misery Loves Company by Paul Marino
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jessinikkip »

I don't think that one book can totally erase Christianity after as long as it's been around. There have been numerous books written that attack Christianity and so far it's still around. Different view points don't destroy the thing they challenge, they just show how not everyone thinks the same. Sometimes, people think different things
SpiritPhoenix
Currently Reading: Lady Chatterley's Lover
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spiritphoenix.html
Latest Review: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In by Harold Toliver

Post by SpiritPhoenix »

No book can end a belief/faith that has withstood the test of time and circumstances for several centuries. People of faith are of different kinds and each of them has their own reason to have faith in something. It is an interesting topic that one may research about to pacify their curiosity but that's all there is to it - research! Nothing more can be done beyond that intentionally.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

As many have already said, I don’t believe this one book can harm Christianity. However, seeing the different possibilities is important too many, whether they skeptical or not. So I think the author does a great job sharing knowledge in a factual, not spiritual, way
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Nadine Forsberg
Currently Reading: The Land of Stories: Worlds Collide
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nadine-forsberg.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Nadine Forsberg »

It seems very unlikely as Christianity has been around a very long time and the fact that people are born into Christian also plays a part because they are told from birth that it is the truth and to erase that from your mind might be hard. They would always be Christian deep down. That's my view in any ways...

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”