The author's inspiration.

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Re: The author's inspiration.

Post by lucia_kizas »

Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
Actually Dan Brown was not the first one. The ideas he included in Da Vinci Code were already published in 1982 in the book The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail. Dan Brown used the research those authors did to turn it into a fiction book.
lucia_kizas
Favorite Author: Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lucia-kizas.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf
fav_author_id: 2366

Post by lucia_kizas »

There are many reasons people choose to write one book or another. In this case, if the author indeed spent a lot of time researching the portrayal of Judas in different texts, it is quite clear why he would like to put all the research findings into a book. Actually, to me, it is quite logical that somebody would ask - why is Judas interpreted the way he is. I mean, it has never been a secret to Jesus who was going to betray him, and yet Judas was one of his favorite disciples until the end. So, yes, that does ask for the explanation :)
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

I think it was just a topic he was interesting in pursuing.
amjohnson13
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

It appears to be to convince fundamental Christians to re-think their opinion of Judas.
brown09
Currently Reading: The Fifth Season
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brown09.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by brown09 »

Who knows? Maybe the author was deeply fascinated by the words of the bible, the people who believe in them, and/or the impact that it has had on history of its popularity. I've seen a lot of people like him in my region of the world, but then again, I'm in the Bible Belt of the U.S.A.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

He probably was interested in the many texts which are nowadays considered Apocrypha by the church and not accepted into its cannon.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

There are always two sides to a story and I think the author just wanted to bring out the side that most people had chosen to ignore for so long (almost 2000 years). He made a good attempt, that I have to say.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

lucia_kizas wrote: 09 May 2019, 08:49 There are many reasons people choose to write one book or another. In this case, if the author indeed spent a lot of time researching the portrayal of Judas in different texts, it is quite clear why he would like to put all the research findings into a book. Actually, to me, it is quite logical that somebody would ask - why is Judas interpreted the way he is. I mean, it has never been a secret to Jesus who was going to betray him, and yet Judas was one of his favorite disciples until the end. So, yes, that does ask for the explanation :)
The one I find most implausible is why soldiers who were tasked to keep peace in the Temple, and Jerusalem in general, day after day, would need Judas to kiss him to identify him! It is clear what the kiss of James meant in the original gnostic Apocalypse of James -- the source of the kiss of Judas.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Cecilia_L wrote: 03 May 2019, 21:26 I also got the impression that the author was inspired by Gnostic beliefs. I once heard a very thought-provoking sermon suggesting how Judas's life would have differed if had waited three days rather than acting on impulses. I feel compassion for Judas, but I don't agree he was the Savior.
Cecilia,

I am the author. There was no Judas! I am absolutely certain of this. He was a literary creation to hide James. James was a savior, the one I think followed John the Baptist. (Many saviors makes more sense than just one, and I go into it in both my books.) This is the theme of the book. Did you read it? I have read extensively on this and spent years researching it. Jesus was, I believe, a composite character, assembled from details of John and James. There is zero independent historical evidence for Jesus. The New Testament is fiction, not history.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

brown09 wrote: 10 May 2019, 04:09 Who knows? Maybe the author was deeply fascinated by the words of the bible, the people who believe in them, and/or the impact that it has had on history of its popularity. I've seen a lot of people like him in my region of the world, but then again, I'm in the Bible Belt of the U.S.A.
Lovely kittie! I have a calico.

I am the author. I am fascinated by the Bible and its hold on people. I am even more fascinated by living Masters. They do exist. There has never been just one savior. They themselves say (in John 9:4-5, probably by James, not Jesus, with "sent US" in 9:4 like the original Codex Sinaiticus text has it) that the world is never without at least one. That is the 'big story.'
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

Inspiration sometimes comes from within. Sometimes listening to someone or witnessing an event may inspire. A book may inspire to learn more or act. In thinking about what inspires me and my journey, it is sharing the knowledge I have gained.
Fazzier
Currently Reading: Secondary Break
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fazzier.html
Latest Review: Planning for a Better, Greener Future by Peter Nelson

Post by Fazzier »

I think the author is just trying to promote Gnosticism though I also have a feeling that his intention, at its most basic level, is some kind of insidious.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Michgal 32 wrote: 03 May 2019, 03:42 What do you think could be the author's inspiration in writing this book?
Trying to pass his acceptance of the Gospel of Judas.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Ellylion wrote: 03 May 2019, 14:43 The author is not the first one to start a controversial discussion addressing Gnostic beliefs. I guess Dan Brown made them a popular trend still years ago :)
I agree on this one that Dan Brown may have planted a seed on the curious minds with his books.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Also, I think the notion "people aren't born villains" was the other reason for the author to dig in much deeper about Judas. Judas, being the bad guy, surely has a "backstory" that may have contributed to him being a traitor. Though a creative approach, I don't think twisting the bible itself is a good thing.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”