Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by Joytoo97 »

I am not planning on reading this book anytime soon. From the reviews on Obc, I think it totally contradicts with my belief so I will keep off.
Sahansdal
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sahansdal »

janinewesterweel wrote: 07 May 2019, 07:01 I've not yet read this book but it does sound like it might need a more in-depth knowledge of the Bible than I think I have! What intrigues me though, is that it seems as if it turns popular perceptions on their head. One thing I do firmly believe is that the Bible is open to as many different interpretations as there were scribes.
And that would be a lot! For those interested in how much was changed by orthodox scribes, try The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, by Bart Ehrman.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I don't plan to finish reading this book! It is too contradiictory to what I have always, and still believe! I wanted to read it to be able to continue discussing it on this forum but I'm just not into finishing! :hand:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

B Creech wrote: 07 May 2019, 18:53 I don't plan to finish reading this book! It is too contradiictory to what I have always, and still believe! I wanted to read it to be able to continue discussing it on this forum but I'm just not into finishing! :hand:
If you believe Jesus is your savior, you owe it to yourself (not me) to finish reading it.You need to learn a lot more about your Bible.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

Maeve Mor wrote: 06 May 2019, 03:29 Misreading Judas is a hard book to follow, beguiling and thought-provoking. Gnosticism point of view is new to me so I have to keep a very open mind while reading the book.
The author certainly researched the subject very well. Wahler offered interesting arguments in biblical and philosophical perspectives and present it in a very precise manner.
While some readers might be offended, those who are interested in theology, philosophy and history will definitely find this book really interesting.
I guess trying to keep it simple works both ways. I may have left out some explanatory notes that may have helped. But the basics are pretty simple. The Bible scholars didn't read the Gospel of Judas correctly and missed that Judas is the sacrifice, himself sacrificed. He is a fictional character and stands in for a real character in history, James, who was a successor the Church needed to hide.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

Sahansdal wrote: 07 May 2019, 16:25
janinewesterweel wrote: 07 May 2019, 07:01 I've not yet read this book but it does sound like it might need a more in-depth knowledge of the Bible than I think I have! What intrigues me though, is that it seems as if it turns popular perceptions on their head. One thing I do firmly believe is that the Bible is open to as many different interpretations as there were scribes.
And that would be a lot! For those interested in how much was changed by orthodox scribes, try The Orthodox Corruption of Scripture, by Bart Ehrman.
Aah...thank you for that suggestion. Now that would be an interesting read!
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

The book certainly raises some intriguing questions and seems well researched, but it was a controversial read for me at times.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I am not a Catholic, so I do not have any hard feelings regarding Judas. As this work is produced after thorough research, I think the author should get some credits
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Sahansdal I KNOW Jesus is my savior. And I know the Bible is the inspired word of God so I learn what I need to know from studying it. But thanks for your input on my post!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Mindy Conahye
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindy-conahye.html
Latest Review: WIND by Ellen Dee Davidson

Post by Mindy Conahye »

I haven't read this book yet. I'm not sure if it will be something I can get into, but I'm more than willing to take a look at it. From my understanding, the sample doesn't give much to go off of so I didn't bother looking at it. I'd rather get a peak at the book than other's review of it.
Mac :techie-reference:
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

janinewesterweel wrote: 08 May 2019, 03:41
Sahansdal wrote: 07 May 2019, 16:25
Aah...thank you for that suggestion. Now that would be an interesting read!
I tried repeatedly to tell Dr. Ehrman about the mistake he and other scholars have made, but he didn't want to hear from a macadamia nut farmer, I guess. What would nut farming have to do with preparation to take on a Ph.D. in Religious Studies? Well. He is still wrong...
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:43 The book, though short, present a precise but complete argument about the Judas' case. I love the authors view and like his arguments and presentations. I'll give it 4 out of 4 stars such a thought-provoking book.
Thanks!
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

srividyag1 wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:14 I was born into a religion with a multitude of gods. I’ve always been curious about Christianity and its history; the role it played in shaping the world’s history. I gather that what the author deals with in this book is a very controversial topic. When I read the sample, it consisted of mostly reviews from other publications. Yet, the introduction itself reads like a research paper. I am curious about how mysticism and Christian beliefs are linked. I am interested in reading this book because I like having a healthy debate about many deep-rooted systems. I believe that any new knowledge that comes to light should be treated with the dispassionate eye of science and research and used for the betterment of humanity.
In my observations, there is no more of a link in mysticism to Christianity as there is to Islam and Christianity. If you look at Judaism, Christianity, and Islam they are all monotheistic religions. Though there is a cross over of historical figures like Moses, the doctrine is far from similar.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

jimthorne2 wrote: 03 May 2019, 15:24 Free will cannot be construed as the ability to create truth out of illusion. My opinion about the Bible is irrelevant to the truth that the Bible reveals. But officer, I didn't know that I was speeding. The officer replies, "Whether you knew it or not, you were speeding. I'll write up the ticket!"
Salvation isn't driving a car. There is no other way to arrive at the door of the Lord EXCEPT AT THE FEET OF A LIVING MASTER. ("Feet of the Master" is a well-known Eastern metaphor for the 'Silver cord' or Jacob's Ladder, or The WORD or Apophasis Logos, etc.)

The New Testament is bad news. It is all disinformation. Mind-blowing, I know, but true as can be. Read Dr. Robert Eisenman. Run, don't walk, to your bookstore, or Amazon. Get James the Brother of Jesus.

"Angels ascending and descending UPON THE SON OF MAN." John 1:53 is The Word.
Sahansdal

Post by Sahansdal »

jimthorne2 wrote: 02 May 2019, 14:19 This is just another gnostic/mystery religion ploy to confuse the world about the things of God. It is based on the idea that we humans know so much that we don't need God or a revelation from God to figure out what's going on. Judas was a traitor. His reasons for being a traitor in the New Testament are vague but the fact of his treason is not to be misunderstood. There's a vast difference between what Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote and what Judas is said to have written.
No one thinks Judas wrote anything. His "treason" is not a fact. Where do you get that? The Bible is not factual. It is fictional. We know that now because of my book. Maybe you could read it now, and then comment? Where did I say we don't need God?

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”