Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

colorsparkle wrote: 07 May 2019, 11:09 How interesting! I’m willing to give this a try, but I’m not sure if a really agnostic focused book makes sense for me to read. Sometimes it’s good to see where people are coming from I guess!
That's a great mindset to have.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

So what if Judas was a traitor or not? Ancient history!
I have no religious beliefs one way or the other and I doubt this story would change anyone's beliefs, religious or not.
amjohnson13
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

evraealtana wrote: 01 May 2019, 19:38
AKShanmar12 wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:16 I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
Amen. Life is too short to start projects that you don't even wish to finish. Good for you.
Thanks, I realized that this comes across like I am a complete snob, which I really try not to me, so I am glad somebody understood what I was trying to say! :?
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 01 May 2019, 00:18 The book seeks to change the normal belief of Judas as the traitor and makes him to have made the ultimate sacrifice. Does the book change or even shake your religeous beliefs?
Interesting question. No, my beliefs haven't changed. Seekers may waver one way or another, but my feet are on The Rock. :)
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
MsTri
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

AKShanmar12 wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:16 I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
You took the words right out of my mouth! I feel like I need a shower, just thinking about reading this book!
Sohaalikhan795
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Sohaalikhan795 »

Yes, you are right but do you think a summary or a review would have all the details about a book? A review or summary would just have the rough script about a book.
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

MsTri wrote: 07 May 2019, 19:22
You took the words right out of my mouth! I feel like I need a shower, just thinking about reading this book!
Haha, that's a funny mental image, but I hear you. This book definitely isn't for everyone, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:27 No, it doesn't change my beliefs as such, but merely confirms them. I've always felt deeply about the so-called 'betrayal' of Judas, and thought that he has been maligned for the pivotal role that he played in Jesus's death. According to the Christian view, Christ had to die on the cross to redeem mankind from their sins. Judas was the catalyst and proponent of the Resurrection.
I know what you mean. The fact that it was all pre-ordained makes me think poor Judas didn’t have much choice in the matter...but that is a different issue altogether! The fact that authors put their findings down in print doesn’t mean we should follow like sheep, but test the assertions carefully before making up our minds.
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I've read quite a number of books that have attempted to change how Judas was portrayed, but none of them including this book has changed my views.
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

People interpret texts based on their own personal bias. We could read the exact same book (in this case the Bible) and virtually everyone gets something different out of it. Did the author change my mind about my religious beliefs? No. Did he open my mind to seeing how someone could interpret something totally different from me? Yes.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I have read the bible and have a basic knowledge regarding Judas. Still, I think there can be unusual interpretations to the already known story, since the history is that something made by some fellow, who might have had favourations as well as his own dislikes
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

ashley_claire wrote: 08 May 2019, 09:43 People interpret texts based on their own personal bias. We could read the exact same book (in this case the Bible) and virtually everyone gets something different out of it. Did the author change my mind about my religious beliefs? No. Did he open my mind to seeing how someone could interpret something totally different from me? Yes.
Inciteful opinion that I find myself sharing.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 07 May 2019, 10:16
ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 07 May 2019, 10:10
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 06 May 2019, 10:19

What about the Bible?
Not even the Bible.
Not even being forced to as a child?
No, my parents never forced me to follow religious teachings. I went to church a few times when I was a child to see what it was about. I stopped going cause it wasn't for me and my parents were fine with that decision. They weren't active Churchgoers either.
Bukari
Currently Reading: Everything Solid Has a Shadow
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukari.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Bukari »

From the blurb, editorial reviews, and a sample of the book I read, I didn't even want to read the full narrative because I thought the arguments put by the author could cause a lot of emotional disturbances in my mind, so there wasn't any need to grab a copy.
"Ever Tried. Ever Failed. No Matter. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better." - Samuel Beckett.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 03 May 2019, 04:03
Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:33
Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I completely agree with this. Just because someone says that this is the way something is does not mean that you should blindly follow, who is to say that it was not planted or that exact purpose?
while I agree that this book should not be able to change christian faith, I disagree on the beatdown on the strength of one's faith. Please remember that even Hitler, Trump, Deatheaters and whitewalkers all have unyielding faith in their beliefs. A change in faith and belief is not always bad.
I do agree that a change in faith is not always bad but the four examples that you listed are all groups that aim for and desire the death, oppression and many cases the elimination of others. This is not what Christianity represents. Christianity is about forgiveness, healing, life and love. Putting it in the same group with murderers, racists and hypocrites does not seem far. I'm not saying that it is perfect, nothing is. At the same time, I don't agree with the comparison.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”