Official Review: Finding Rosie by W B Edwards

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Finding Rosie by W B Edwards

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Finding Rosie" by W B Edwards.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Finding Rosie by W.B. Edwards follows Paul Sutton, a young Californian, and his life during and after his Naval service in the Vietnam War from 1965 to 1973. The story is broken up into multiple parts, focusing on two main periods: Paul’s life in California two years after his return from the war, and Paul’s life as a Naval officer in the Philippines. Although set against the backdrop of the Vietnam War, rather than a typical war story, this book is a literary tale about one young man’s search for purpose and understanding.

Edwards cleverly uses an unchronological timeline to focus on the psychological subtleties of Paul, rather than on the day-to-day aspects of life as a soldier. This focus was expertly executed in the organization of the novel, which also aided in the development of Paul’s character. As a brief introduction, we first read about young Paul, a carefree surfer with his whole life ahead of him. The story then shifts to post-Vietnam: Paul is back home; drifting, mentally and physically, he is unsure of what he wants from life. His relationships are strained, and they leave Paul feeling unfulfilled. Next, an intimate portrait is painted of Paul’s service years. The narrative of this section exudes the excitement, longing, and camaraderie he experiences. This section also focuses on the development of his relationship with Rosie, a working girl. In the last section, at somewhat of a crossroads, Paul decides to take a big risk.

Beyond the expert manipulation of the timeline, symbolism is another element used masterfully throughout the narrative. Rosie, the title character, cleverly appears as a symbol for many things during the course of Paul’s story. Rosie doesn’t make an appearance until about halfway through the book. Rather, Rosie is presented as a constant theme, an ever present thought in the back of Paul’s mind. The idea of Rosie tied in nicely with Paul’s confusion about life post-Vietnam: Was Rosie simply a means to get through the most turbulent and unknown time of Paul’s life? Or was she really the one that got away? I thoroughly enjoyed the ambiguity of this character in the beginning of the novel. Leaving Rosie’s story to unfold later on, and only mentioning her in passing, added a touch of mystery to the already-engaging narrative.

However, there were some aspects of the novel that need improvement. For instance, I noted a slew of grammatical errors. While not overly distracting, these errors were apparent. Further, the narrative perspective was rather loose at times, oscillating unintentionally between the third-person perspective and Paul’s first-person perspective. On multiple occasions, the main character slips into paragraphs-long monologues. The author tried to cover this with a basic “he thought” added here and there. However, in these sections, the narrative felt confused, like Edwards wasn’t sure how to imbue Paul’s perspective without shifting to the first person.

This is the second book I’ve read by Edwards, and I was happy to see the author’s literary talent radiating from the pages again. Finding Rosie is a thoughtful, complex, and poignant tale that I highly recommend to readers who enjoy literary historical fiction, especially novels that focus on psychological aspects of life. Unfortunately, the lack of professional editing forces me to deduct one star from my rating. Therefore, Finding Rosie earns a strong 3 out of 4 stars.

Finding Rosie
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It takes a great writer to be able to write a memoir in something other than chronological order. If not done well, that can really sink a book. So, it's obvious that the author knows what they are doing. It's too bad about the editing issues, but that's so easy to fix. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

This sounds like a very interesting read. Such a shame about the editing... it really is noticeable and can disrupt the reader's experience very easily. I think I will however check this book out. Your review has intrigued me! Well done :)
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

The big question I'm asking myself is ; will Paul really find his purpose and the understanding that he is seeking?
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I like the author's use of Rosie in the story. The jumps in the timeline keep readers thinking and piecing the story together. This sounds intriguing, and I am impressed by your praise for the author's writing style.
kislany
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

This sounds quite the interesting book. I've read and reviewed lately a host of historical fiction books, so I'm right in the groove with the genre, hah! If I see it on offer, I'll pick it up and try to ignore the editorial issues.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”