Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Vickie Noel »

The solid Bible knowledge I'd acquired cannot be undermined by this book. As the Bible puts it, "To the making of many books, there is no end."- Ecclesiastes 12:12 (NWT). I'm not surprised that such a book as this has arisen to malign to words in the Holy Scriptures, but I ask myself one question, "How far is the reach of this book? Can it stand the test of time, centuries, like the Bible? I'm quite certain it won't, for I wouldn't have known about its existence if I wasn't part of OBC, unlike the Bible which babies are promptly being taught about in all parts of the world, some even while in the womb! The latter part of the earlier quoted scripture says "...and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." Simply put, it's not everything you should read. To me, this book is one of them. The words in the Bible, written aforetime and still practical in our modern life, are nothing short of supernatural. If such a book that survived thousands of generations states that Judas is the betrayer of Jesus, then no other book is fit to challenge that assertion.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Vickie Noel wrote: 02 May 2019, 21:19 The solid Bible knowledge I'd acquired cannot be undermined by this book. As the Bible puts it, "To the making of many books, there is no end."- Ecclesiastes 12:12 (NWT). I'm not surprised that such a book as this has arisen to malign to words in the Holy Scriptures, but I ask myself one question, "How far is the reach of this book? Can it stand the test of time, centuries, like the Bible? I'm quite certain it won't, for I wouldn't have known about its existence if I wasn't part of OBC, unlike the Bible which babies are promptly being taught about in all parts of the world, some even while in the womb! The latter part of the earlier quoted scripture says "...and much devotion to them is wearisome to the flesh." Simply put, it's not everything you should read. To me, this book is one of them. The words in the Bible, written aforetime and still practical in our modern life, are nothing short of supernatural. If such a book that survived thousands of generations states that Judas is the betrayer of Jesus, then no other book is fit to challenge that assertion.
PREACH
I have never heard a book being roasted till today.
:tiphat:
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

No, one book that seeks discredit the word of God can not and will not change my beliefs.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Lhisa wrote: 02 May 2019, 17:33
Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I completely agree with this. Just because someone says that this is the way something is does not mean that you should blindly follow, who is to say that it was not planted or that exact purpose?
while I agree that this book should not be able to change christian faith, I disagree on the beatdown on the strength of one's faith. Please remember that even Hitler, Trump, Deatheaters and whitewalkers all have unyielding faith in their beliefs. A change in faith and belief is not always bad.
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

The book was an interesting read, but it did not change my religious beliefs significantly.
Lia81
Favorite Book: Four Funny Potatoes!
Currently Reading: Mining for Alaskan Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 46

Post by Lia81 »

for me is no .. because i am christian orthodox and it isnt sufficent for me from a book to change my belief . Personnaly , many others factors could convince me to change but it is still very difficult for me to change .. However , i am open minded and i dont have a problem to read books that presents other perspective regarding religion and my beliefs .. i accept the challenge to read it ,this doesnt mean that i have to change..
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

While I'm opened to reading about other people's beliefs and opinions, I don't think this book will change my own beliefs. No matter the author's arguments, it doesn't change who Judas was and what he did.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cvetelina_yovcheva87 wrote: 03 May 2019, 05:17 The book was an interesting read, but it did not change my religious beliefs significantly.
significantly??
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

I have read the summary and based on it, If have a strong faith in what I believe in, whatever I may read that will contradict my beliefs will not have that strong an impact. The issues or arguments presented may raise some eyebrows but in the end we hold on to our own.
WaryReader
Currently Reading: Madame Bovary
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by WaryReader »

Not really, because I'm a non-believer anyways, but it's really interesting to look at it from the eyes of someone who isn't emotionally invested in religion. I just think it's an interesting new take on Christianity.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

AKShanmar12 wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:16 I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
:D :D :D :D this sounds great. Personally, I normally read such books to see the views of the author. I have come to like apologetics a lot and such books tend to increase my knowledge.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:31 I'm sure the book would change my mind, based on the reviews and snippets I've read. But, to be clear, I'm already neutral on the subject. I grew up believing Judas as the betrayer, but my beliefs as I get older are ever-evolving and changing as new information comes to light. Everything I read and consume with factual evidence or extensive research informs my opinions, whether I agree with them or not. For me, it's not about belief in the divine, but belief in the people through whose hands these stories have passed. If there's been some misinterpretation, be it on purpose for political reasons or purely by accident, and there's proof of it, that would absolutely cause me to continue deep-diving into the subject to verify and find the truth. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion once I've finished reading the book. So far, it's very enlightening.
I agree. My beliefs are quite unorthodox and, as you say, ever-evolving, as I continue growing as a person and learning. I don't think a healthy dose of skepticism is a defect and reading challenging books with an open mind broadens one's worldview.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Misael wrote: 03 May 2019, 07:51 I have read the summary and based on it, If have a strong faith in what I believe in, whatever I may read that will contradict my beliefs will not have that strong an impact. The issues or arguments presented may raise some eyebrows but in the end we hold on to our own.
Very true. At end of the day, it does not matter what will be presented. I have been thinking a lot about the impact of such and I think there is no way it can really change anyone's faith unless the person's faith was hanging on the view of Judas.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

For me it does not change anything much, it however gives me another point of view from which to look at Judge's betrayal to Jesus. I have reached a point in my life where I don't believe everything that I hear, read and see.
They say "seeing is believing" but that has been proven to be wrong at times. I don't believe that there is anyone on earth that can answer the questions that I have with regards to Jesus, so instead I will wait until the day He returns and ask Him and His father Jehovah personally my questions.
Kristy Khem
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

This book does not change my religious beliefs. The findings portrayed in the book were first revealed by National Geographic and were analyzed by a qualified team - nine biblical scholars and Coptic experts. However, the author claimed that they did not do a good job because they had no knowledge of Gnostic teachings. How does the author know this? Is he himself qualified to analyze the ancient text? What makes him qualified? Blueink Review said that he is a lay researcher. Is this the scope of his qualifications? I'm not impressed. To change the foundation of my entire religious beliefs based on this book is laughable.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”