Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Mark

Use this forum to discuss the November 2017 Book of the Month, 30th Century: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD.
ericahs
Currently Reading: The Cybernetic Tea Shop
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericahs.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Re: Overall rating and opinion of 30th Century: Escape by Ma

Post by ericahs »

ReadingRebecca wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 22:41 My overall rating was 2 out of 4 stars. I liked the tropical setting the most. I disliked the sexual relationships the least, partly because they were not hinted at in any blurbs I read (and they were rather blatant not to be at least mentioned) and partly because they did not fit into the story in my opinion. I would not recommend this book due to the sexual content. I didn't care for the book myself, but I saw others likes it.
I'm curious as to why you think it didn't fit (genuinely curious). Was it that you thought sexuality in general didn't fit, or that specific relationship?
Ana_Saints
Favorite Book: The Different Kinds Of Monsters
Currently Reading: How to Dance with the Universe
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-saints.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Ana_Saints »

This book is good but in the middle part till the next following chapters seemed too sexual as for me. I would rate this book as 2 out 4.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I liked the story and the sci-fy aspects of the book. I did find that the sex scenes were a bit too much and didn't advance the plot.
DandMMothers
Currently Reading: King Donald Khrump
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dandmmothers.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by DandMMothers »

I have just finished my own review, not yet published. I really loved the storyline in this novel. The erotic scenes were a bit much towards the end so it's an adult novel. I had fun reading.
MagensWife1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magenswife1995.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by MagensWife1995 »

I really loved this entire book. From the time travel to the romance. It was a really amazing book.
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I gave it 2 out of 4. I felt that this book was really more of a detailed outline than it was a book. Everything happened really quickly without any detail. Things either worked perfectly for Jennifer or caused a crisis that was immediately fixed by Jennifer. As everyone else mentioned, the second half was basically all about sex. What I found odd was that it basically happened between one page and the next. There was absolutely no mention of it in the beginning then all of the sudden it was an erotica - and not a very well written one. I wish it were either better written and more rounded or that I could read the brief outlines of the next books so I could get the story line completed without having to read the unnecessary parts.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

I think it was a really interesting story, heavy on the romance, (which i personally loved). I thought it was a great concept and it did not dissapoint.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

This is a good sci-fi thriller. But the sexual contents are not appropriate for young readers. However, I enjoyed the theme.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

My rating is 1 out of 4. It was a heavy read for an ordinary reader who don't understand complex physics topics. It was less sci-fi and more of an erotic book. Description was misleading. The blurb said it has 48 pages but after downloading, it had 347 pages.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I gave it 2 stars. The concept was good and I was intrigued by the diversity of the characters, but ultimately it just wasn't well executed.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Meg98
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meg98.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by Meg98 »

I didn't enjoy the book at all. I found the story very difficult to follow, especially in the beginning. There were so many different characters, and so many things going on, which resulted in me being very confused. It was also extremely sexual and graphic, which I did not expect at all as I did not find any evidence of it in the description of the book. These sections really just popped out of nowhere as well, sort of midway through the book. Would not recommend!
Oh love, never be afraid to fly :wink2:
leiabutler
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leiabutler.html
Latest Review: Britain Loves Baking - The Bakers Annual 2020 by Greg Wixted

Post by leiabutler »

I really didn't like this novel. I didn't think a consistent plot developed quickly enough and the sex scenes were way to prominent a theme within the story.
Innae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-innae.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Innae »

Although the book was slightly unrealistic. I found the positive outlook on life endearing. I still have to give it a 2 out of 4 but the author has potential. The blatant sexual content was amusing and definitely different which is a start.
Samuel Okoye 2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Samuel Okoye 2 »

Nothing about this book was fascinating to me. I'll rate it 2 out if 4.

Return to “Discuss "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD”