Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by juliusotieno02 »

No! It doesn't. It just broadens my views and enhances my reasonability. I've always thought that the new testament wasn't complete and there were some events they failed to include. I would say it provides answers to most of my questions.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:48 No! It doesn't. It just broadens my views and enhances my reasonability. I've always thought that the new testament wasn't complete and there were some events they failed to include. I would say it provides answers to most of my questions.
Well put, it should only broaden one's views and reasoning.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:31 I'm sure the book would change my mind, based on the reviews and snippets I've read. But, to be clear, I'm already neutral on the subject. I grew up believing Judas as the betrayer, but my beliefs as I get older are ever-evolving and changing as new information comes to light. Everything I read and consume with factual evidence or extensive research informs my opinions, whether I agree with them or not. For me, it's not about belief in the divine, but belief in the people through whose hands these stories have passed. If there's been some misinterpretation, be it on purpose for political reasons or purely by accident, and there's proof of it, that would absolutely cause me to continue deep-diving into the subject to verify and find the truth. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion once I've finished reading the book. So far, it's very enlightening.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book definitely doesn’t change my beliefs, but I’m also far from an expert on this topic. The book offers an interesting perspective about how Judas wasn’t a traitor and has been misjudged. This probably won’t change many people’s minds either way, but it’s good to be open to different views if they are well presented and argued. It doesn’t hurt to hear opposing viewpoints and learn new things.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Julehart1 wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:18 This book definitely doesn’t change my beliefs, but I’m also far from an expert on this topic. The book offers an interesting perspective about how Judas wasn’t a traitor and has been misjudged. This probably won’t change many people’s minds either way, but it’s good to be open to different views if they are well presented and argued. It doesn’t hurt to hear opposing viewpoints and learn new things.
Yes, I think the different views by people might be productive to the topic.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 May 2019, 05:18 However interesting the author's arguments are, I don't think they would change anything for me.
For most people it won't, but I'm still looking forward to that one person it does.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I find this subject interesting and fully intend finishing Wahler's book, but since I know nothing about biblical exegesis, I know I'll get to the last page not knowing whether his argument has merit or not. I'd like to read the views of a mainstream scholar, someone either supporting Wahler or pointing out the holes in his point of view.
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 May 2019, 03:03
juliusotieno02 wrote: 02 May 2019, 02:48 No! It doesn't. It just broadens my views and enhances my reasonability. I've always thought that the new testament wasn't complete and there were some events they failed to include. I would say it provides answers to most of my questions.
Sure, i think the author has a free and uncompromised data backed up with adequate research. These views shouldn't be ignored by anyone.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
klballard
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klballard.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by klballard »

I haven’t read the book, but it sounds like the author is presupposing the Bible is wrong. If that’s your presupposition, then you can make the Bible way whatever you want it to say despite what it actually says.

I believe that it was Thomas Jefferson who famously cut out verses of the Bible that he found distasteful. It sounds like the author is doing the same thing here.
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

The author's thoughts on the matter are interesting, but I don't think that they would ever be interesting enough to change my fundamental beliefs.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Well, I think Judas played his role in the God's Plan. Considering the Gnosticism was some kind of a closed club back those days and the knowledge was hidden and not for everyone, it doesn't affect my beliefs.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

Lindsey Klaus wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:31 I'm sure the book would change my mind, based on the reviews and snippets I've read. But, to be clear, I'm already neutral on the subject. I grew up believing Judas as the betrayer, but my beliefs as I get older are ever-evolving and changing as new information comes to light. Everything I read and consume with factual evidence or extensive research informs my opinions, whether I agree with them or not. For me, it's not about belief in the divine, but belief in the people through whose hands these stories have passed. If there's been some misinterpretation, be it on purpose for political reasons or purely by accident, and there's proof of it, that would absolutely cause me to continue deep-diving into the subject to verify and find the truth. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion once I've finished reading the book. So far, it's very enlightening.
This is how I feel too. Even in the Bible itself, God rebukes the Israelites for believing they have the very word of God when their own scribes have dealt with it falsely. So I try to be careful with what people have written!
The first time I read about Judas (as a young teen), whatever version I had definitely gave me the idea that Jesus had assigned him the job - I felt sorry for him. Especially when they all were saying, "not me, please, not me!" It could be taken more than one way. He committed suicide but there are two accounts of the manner of his death so that doesn't clinch any arguments for me. Besides, if I had been forced in some way to do something tragic and terrible for a right outcome, I'd probably wish for death too.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

Absolutely not. I mean no disrespect to the author or those who enjoyed the book when I say that the content of this book--in my opinion--is complete nonsense.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I completely agree with this. Just because someone says that this is the way something is does not mean that you should blindly follow, who is to say that it was not planted or that exact purpose?
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

B Creech wrote: 01 May 2019, 14:51 No, it definitely doesn't change my beliefs. To say that Judas was not a betrayer of Jesus is to say that Jesus was not the Messiah and did not die for the sins of mankind, which, according to the review is what the book says. I have no desire to read it but will attempt it so I can participate in this forum! It should be interesting to hear everyones opinions!
I agree with you on this and it would also be making Jesus out to be a liar, and please note that Jesus didn't name the traitor, Judas go up of his own accord when Jesus and the disciples were sitting together.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”