Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
jimthorne2
Favorite Book: Christians in the Age of Outrage
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimthorne2.html
Latest Review: California: On the Edge of American History by Ronald Genini
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by jimthorne2 »

This is just another gnostic/mystery religion ploy to confuse the world about the things of God. It is based on the idea that we humans know so much that we don't need God or a revelation from God to figure out what's going on. Judas was a traitor. His reasons for being a traitor in the New Testament are vague but the fact of his treason is not to be misunderstood. There's a vast difference between what Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John wrote and what Judas is said to have written.
Jim Thorne
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

By just beginning to read this book, I'm not sure if it's for me. It seems like it plays too much on Christian mysticism, and it isn't based too much on fact.
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

This comment will probably receive some unwanted retorts but I will give my honest opinion about this book. I wasn't entirely sure what to expect when I opened the book. I would like to think that I approached it with an open mind because I was not entirely certain of the contents. As I read, I became more and more confused and--quite frankly--frustrated. The author's reasoning behind each explanation baffled me and I had to read almost every page several times before understanding. His attempt to dismantle the core of Christianity and interpret the Bible using Buddhist symbolism is frustrating and confusing. I don't know how he came to these conclusions, especially when he tried to interpret the parting of the Red Sea. Honestly, I feel that this was just a feeble attempt to unravel the foundation of Christianity and replace it with something else for the sake of argument.
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Well Choice, I surprised that you detect Buddhist symbolism. I'm not that familiar with Buddhism but am intrigued by the link.
Jim Thorne
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

I am currently reading the book, and I find it extremely difficult. I don't have a strong understanding of the Bible to begin with, and seeing as this books aims to compare and contrast, I have my work cut out for me!
Selasi Alexander
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Doll
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by Selasi Alexander »

The book deviates from what the holy bible teaches, when you follow this book critically you will find yourself in limbo.
Amanda Deck
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Sight For Psychic Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amanda-deck.html
Latest Review: Winds of Fall by Alberto Mercado

Post by Amanda Deck »

I tried it but found it totally incomprehensible. I'm having a hard time even explaining how completely I got nothing out of it. Too bad, I was looking forward to it, but it takes a translation into English that has no real meaning and explains it as a metaphor that...still has no meaning. Yes, I gleaned a thought or two but there's no way I could wade through that.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I found the book compelling. Whaler seems completely sincere and lays out an excellent discussion. There has been a National Geographic TV program a few years ago. Religion is not free from political bias, or church bias, so it needs experts on both sides to present the cdifferent ideas. I recommend it to people who are religious, philosophical and history buffs, as I am sure their is more to learn. It gets 4 out of 4 stars from me.
Agnes Masobeng
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agnes-masobeng.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Agnes Masobeng »

Misreading Judas has new ideas about Judas and gow he sacrificed himself to be one wlith the Master (Jesus). These new ideas, unfortunately I'm not open to consider them. I'll preserve my rating otherwise I'll rate it based on my feelings, biases and prejudices. And it will be unfair to the author who did so much research to make the book a success.
Death And Destruction Are Never Satisfied And Neither Are Human Eyes...Proverbs 27: 20
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I am not a Christian. But have read and heard stories about Christ. I belong to a religion where we worship many God's. Over the years the meaning and interpretations of the holy text, beliefs, culture and traditions have drastically changed. This is inevitable. I love reading books that challenge age old beliefs. Although controversial such facts should definitely be considered with an open mind. I loved reading Dan brown and hope to enjoy this book as well. Good luck to Robert Wahler for his book.
Mely918
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mely918.html
Latest Review: I'm Going to Kill that Cat by F. Della Notte

Post by Mely918 »

I definitely find the topic of this book interesting. It's certainly good to get a different perspective on Judas, who doesn't get a good reputation in the Bible at all. However, I don't think this will be a book that I'll read anytime soon. I'm sure the right audience will great enjoy this book though.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

The book seems well thought out and organized, but I'm not religious so I don't know how I feel.
jimthorne2

Post by jimthorne2 »

Well, Abacus, sincerity is not equivalent to truth. A discussion doesn't necessarily lead to truth. There are many sincere writers. That doesn't mean that they write truth. Just because it is written doesn't mean it is true.
Jim Thorne
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

This sounds like a very thought-provoking book. It really looks at religious events From a different perspective. The author seems to have done a considerable amount of research in defense of his position and opinion.
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

When God made man He gave them free will. I believe everyone is entitled to his/her opinion and interpretation of the Bible and it's events. I have head one story in the Bible interpreted differently by different Religion. I have not completed reading the book but so far it's interesting and had raised many intriguing questions.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”