Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Overall rating and opinion of "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler

Post by gali »

This is a discussion topic for the May 2019 Book of the Month, Misreading Judas: How Biblical Scholars Missed the Biggest Story of All Time by Robert Wahler

What is your overall opinion of the book? What do you like most about it? What do you like least? Will you recommend the book to other people? Why or why not?

Please remember to add your actual rating using the book's page on: Bookshelves.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

The book raises very interesting questions and shows well known events in the different light. I haven't read the book yet, but really looking forward to. I can accept the idea that Judas sacrificed himself or just fulfilled his duty.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

It's definitely a book I want to read. I was bummed that the sample only included other people's opinions on the book, as I was really looking forward to getting a taste of things. Still, I think it sounds really interesting. While I don't always agree, I love theories that challenge widely accepted beliefs, because widely accepted beliefs are not always based on fact or logic. But we don't even realize this, because that belief has been so ingrained in us since childhood. A few very powerful people get a hold of some very influential texts and warp them to fit their own narrative - that might not be the case here, but it has been the case in many other things throughout history. If that's what happened, I'd like to be more knowledgeable about it, even though I don't typically read religious or spiritual books. I really want to see what his evidence is and come to my own conclusions.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

I started this book a while ago. I love the idea behind it, but I wasn't able to fully understand what was being said. That isn't to speak poorly of the author--he certainly did his research, but I think the target audience is very specific. A basic understanding of Gnostic beliefs is definitely a must.
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

I was raised a Christian and spent a lot of time researching the scriptures in depth. Anytime someone has a fresh take on things, I'm usually open and ready. This book has some very unique ideas and I like the idea that Judas has been harshly misjudged all this time. Many non-Christian religions posit the belief that Jesus was just another holy man, and I think it's a conceit worthy of some consideration. The fact that Judas was purportedly accelerating the succession of religious figureheads is fascinating and I think the book has some real value in the theological arena.
"Go back to your books, and your armchair. Plant your trees, watch them grow. If more people valued home above gold, this world would be a merrier place."
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

I haven't read it yet, but it definitely seems like a well-put-together book. I haven't thought of looking at Judas from the Gnostic POV, and the author certainly seems to have addressed this lack well in his book.
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by srividyag1 »

I was born into a religion with a multitude of gods. I’ve always been curious about Christianity and its history; the role it played in shaping the world’s history. I gather that what the author deals with in this book is a very controversial topic. When I read the sample, it consisted of mostly reviews from other publications. Yet, the introduction itself reads like a research paper. I am curious about how mysticism and Christian beliefs are linked. I am interested in reading this book because I like having a healthy debate about many deep-rooted systems. I believe that any new knowledge that comes to light should be treated with the dispassionate eye of science and research and used for the betterment of humanity.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

The author presents some interesting arguments throughout the book. However, this is not a genre I am interested in. And that means that I might not be the right person to rate this either. However, those who want to know more about Jesus and Judas might greatly enjoy reading this one!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Lorraine De Vos
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Indian Immigrant
Bookshelf Size: 669
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lorraine-de-vos.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Lorraine De Vos »

I would recommend this book to be viewed by all churches for their interpretation on the subject matter. What if this elaborate cover of up changes history as we know it. If it was a matter of misinterpretation; this opens up a can of worms, because who’s to say there isn’t more of the Bible that has been misinterpreted? One could argue that everything written was guided by the hand of God, but man is sinful and not without fault. This book could lead to hours of debate!
juliusotieno02
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading: Aftermath
Bookshelf Size: 229
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotieno02.html
Latest Review: Read My Mind by Stephen McLeod

Post by juliusotieno02 »

The book, though short, present a precise but complete argument about the Judas' case. I love the authors view and like his arguments and presentations. I'll give it 4 out of 4 stars such a thought-provoking book.
Bury your dictionaries

The words you need
are in your heart
and the eyes
of the people
you love.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This is not a book genre that I would personally be interested in. But, it sounds like the book is challenging people’s peceptions of Judas and weather he really betrayed Jesus. It’s an intriguing way of looking at things. It raises some valid questions and seems to be a well put together book. People can really debate the validity of this book because it’s a unique perspective, but having discussions and even debates about this topic could lead to interesting conversations.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

srividyag1 wrote: 01 May 2019, 21:14 I was born into a religion with a multitude of gods. I’ve always been curious about Christianity and its history; the role it played in shaping the world’s history. I gather that what the author deals with in this book is a very controversial topic. When I read the sample, it consisted of mostly reviews from other publications. Yet, the introduction itself reads like a research paper. I am curious about how mysticism and Christian beliefs are linked. I am interested in reading this book because I like having a healthy debate about many deep-rooted systems. I believe that any new knowledge that comes to light should be treated with the dispassionate eye of science and research and used for the betterment of humanity.
This is great. The topic is indeed controversial but I believe that for anyone who is open-minded, it still makes a good read. Eventually, the choice whether to believe or not is left with the reader.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Jbcitygirl wrote: 01 May 2019, 23:54 I would recommend this book to be viewed by all churches for their interpretation on the subject matter. What if this elaborate cover of up changes history as we know it. If it was a matter of misinterpretation; this opens up a can of worms, because who’s to say there isn’t more of the Bible that has been misinterpreted? One could argue that everything written was guided by the hand of God, but man is sinful and not without fault. This book could lead to hours of debate!
It is true that the book can be viewed by churches but I guess some may have come other literature contianing the contents of the documents that the author used as references here. The certain thing is that the book could lead to lengthy debates and discussions.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Vscholz wrote: 01 May 2019, 20:15 I started this book a while ago. I love the idea behind it, but I wasn't able to fully understand what was being said. That isn't to speak poorly of the author--he certainly did his research, but I think the target audience is very specific. A basic understanding of Gnostic beliefs is definitely a must.
This makes the book a bit complicated then. I also have not read the entire book but I am purposing to read it. I wouldn't like to miss what the author has to say about Judas.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
allbooked+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-allbooked.html
Latest Review: A Bonza Life by Brian murphy

Post by allbooked+ »

I am not sure this book is for me but I will give it a try. I wish that the sample was more than reviews of the authors work - although I was surprised that they were critical at points - so that we could get a better flavor for the authors writing. Also, it is pointed out that the author 'wants us to read the Gospel of Judas without a New Testament bias'. That should not mean that you can't take the New Testament into account. I feel that a true study of any of the books should take into account all of the books, otherwise you will have tunnel vision and the full picture will not present itself.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”