Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Lindsey Klaus
Currently Reading: The Rogue Queen
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lindsey-klaus.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Lindsey Klaus »

I'm sure the book would change my mind, based on the reviews and snippets I've read. But, to be clear, I'm already neutral on the subject. I grew up believing Judas as the betrayer, but my beliefs as I get older are ever-evolving and changing as new information comes to light. Everything I read and consume with factual evidence or extensive research informs my opinions, whether I agree with them or not. For me, it's not about belief in the divine, but belief in the people through whose hands these stories have passed. If there's been some misinterpretation, be it on purpose for political reasons or purely by accident, and there's proof of it, that would absolutely cause me to continue deep-diving into the subject to verify and find the truth. But that's just me. I'm looking forward to continuing the discussion once I've finished reading the book. So far, it's very enlightening.
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

It doesn't change my outlook, but I guess if you already have doubts and questions you could be swayed by the book.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

Nothing a book could say could change my religion ever. Ones religion should be unshakable and unchangeable. I've read the reviews for this book but to me it's just interesting information. I'm not sure the author us actually trying to convert anyone to mysticism though.
Logic will get you from A to Z
But Imagination will get you
EVERYWHERE

Albert Einstein
evraealtana
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

AKShanmar12 wrote: 01 May 2019, 17:16 I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
Amen. Life is too short to start projects that you don't even wish to finish. Good for you.
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:27 No, it doesn't change my beliefs as such, but merely confirms them. I've always felt deeply about the so-called 'betrayal' of Judas, and thought that he has been maligned for the pivotal role that he played in Jesus's death. According to the Christian view, Christ had to die on the cross to redeem mankind from their sins. Judas was the catalyst and proponent of the Resurrection.
Very interesting belief! It isn't one that is frequently discussed, I don't think, but it is important to remember that Jesus HAD to be crucified. His death allows future generations entrance into Heaven. That being said, Judas played his role. (I'm not super knowledgeable on religions--I find them fascinating but I'm far from a scholar in the field.)
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

The author believes that his so called findings spell the end of Christianity. That seems to be his purpose, but I'm not so gullible. Every now and then there are new findings by different people which contradict each other. All scriptures began with oral traditions based on real encounters with the people concerned. My faith does not depend on what the author writes.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:58 No this doesn't change anything for me. The author makes some interesting points regarding Judas, but like the others it does not change anything for me.
This is also the same for me. Much had been said about Judas long before the New Testament books. The Psalmist had spoken about and all that came to pass. I guess nothing much changes from reading the book.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

No more than a Dan Brown novel. Conspiracy theories abound, and while they are fun, and often times fairly convincing, they aren't true.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

No. It doesn't. Even though the author has pressed his viewpoint about Judas, it won't affect my opinion. Judas will remain a traitor.
Renu G
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 22:29
Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:58 No this doesn't change anything for me. The author makes some interesting points regarding Judas, but like the others it does not change anything for me.
This is also the same for me. Much had been said about Judas long before the New Testament
books. The Psalmist had spoken about and all that came to pass. I guess nothing much changes from reading the book.
It's so true. The seed of the NT was already present in the OT.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 01 May 2019, 18:54 It doesn't change my outlook, but I guess if you already have doubts and questions you could be swayed by the book.
Very true. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

ShailaSheshadri wrote: 01 May 2019, 22:55 No. It doesn't. Even though the author has pressed his viewpoint about Judas, it won't affect my opinion. Judas will remain a traitor.
I completely agree with you. :tiphat:
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

lisalynn wrote: 01 May 2019, 22:44 No more than a Dan Brown novel. Conspiracy theories abound, and while they are fun, and often times fairly convincing, they aren't true.
Dan Brown will be pissed to hear that. :eusa-think:
Renu G

Post by Renu G »

Julie Petitbon wrote: 01 May 2019, 18:54 It doesn't change my outlook, but I guess if you already have doubts and questions you could be swayed by the book.
I agree with you. If someone does not know the methodology of scholarly research in this field, they can easily be led away by false philosophies. One has to be rooted in Christ to read such books.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Renu G wrote: 02 May 2019, 00:28
I agree with you. If someone does not know the methodology of scholarly research in this field, they can easily be led away by false philosophies. One has to be rooted in Christ to read such books.
I agree with you.

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”