Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Use this forum to discuss the May 2019 Book of the month, "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler
Forum rules
NOTICE: The author of this book was invited to participate in the discussion in this forum about his book. You should expect that the author is reading and may reply to posts made in this forum.

While the forums typically have a rule against authors/publishers talking about their own book on the forums at all as a way to prevent spam, an author discussing their own book in the dedicated discussion forum about that book is an exception and is allowed, including posting would-be self-promotional links to his book or related material insofar as is relevant to the discussion.

However, other forum rules and standards, such as those requiring upmost civility and politeness, are of course still in effect.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Does the book change your religeous beliefs?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The book seeks to change the normal belief of Judas as the traitor and makes him to have made the ultimate sacrifice. Does the book change or even shake your religeous beliefs?
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

No, it does not. No matter how much how Judas may be portrayed I guess, he still remains to be the traitor who ended up committing suicide.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kibetious wrote: 01 May 2019, 04:10 No, it does not. No matter how much how Judas may be portrayed I guess, he still remains to be the traitor who ended up committing suicide.
despite any agnostic arguments, I agree with you.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

No this doesn't change anything for me. The author makes some interesting points regarding Judas, but like the others it does not change anything for me.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

However interesting the author's arguments are, I don't think they would change anything for me.
LoisCHenderson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 358
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loischenderson.html
Latest Review: Idiom Attack Vol. 1 Everyday Living (German Edition) by Peter Liptak

Post by LoisCHenderson »

No, it doesn't change my beliefs as such, but merely confirms them. I've always felt deeply about the so-called 'betrayal' of Judas, and thought that he has been maligned for the pivotal role that he played in Jesus's death. According to the Christian view, Christ had to die on the cross to redeem mankind from their sins. Judas was the catalyst and proponent of the Resurrection.
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

No, it doesn't. I felt that the author supported his points poorly to begin with; the texts he presented seemed to be twisted or warped to fit with the point that he tried to make. Although I don't doubt that he himself believes the claims he advances, I didn't see the resounding "proof" that he does in his interpretation of the supplementary texts, especially since he relied so heavily on taking passages that made sense in literal form and making them into strained, slightly nonsensical metaphors in order to promote his views.
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
I totally agree! If the book changes your beliefs then you already had doubts and were leaning that way. If your faith is strong nothing will change or shake it.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
evraealtana
Currently Reading: The Signature of All Things
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evraealtana.html
Latest Review: Never Teach A Pig to Sing. It is a waste of Time by Freida Atwood

Post by evraealtana »

Balazon2000 wrote: 01 May 2019, 10:56 If one book could change your religious outlook then, in my opinion you are not strong in your faith. So, the answer to the question, for me, is no.
You know, I never thought about it this way, but l believe you are correct. Thank you for sharing your point of view.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

evraealtana wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:45 No, it doesn't. I felt that the author supported his points poorly to begin with; the texts he presented seemed to be twisted or warped to fit with the point that he tried to make. Although I don't doubt that he himself believes the claims he advances, I didn't see the resounding "proof" that he does in his interpretation of the supplementary texts, especially since he relied so heavily on taking passages that made sense in literal form and making them into strained, slightly nonsensical metaphors in order to promote his views.
I also felt the text was twisted. I haven't finished it yet but from what I read his thinking is flawed. I believe he believes it but doesn't do a good job of making others believe it.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Balazon2000
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: Awaken You Wonderful We
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-balazon2000.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign
Reading Device: B07BNZ74G8

Post by Balazon2000 »

LoisCHenderson wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:27 No, it doesn't change my beliefs as such, but merely confirms them. I've always felt deeply about the so-called 'betrayal' of Judas, and thought that he has been maligned for the pivotal role that he played in Jesus's death. According to the Christian view, Christ had to die on the cross to redeem mankind from their sins. Judas was the catalyst and proponent of the Resurrection.
I agree with you, although the book clearly states that the Agnostic view is the only correct one. I've found that the religious books I have read state their's is the only solution and everyone else is wrong. Some even condemn those who do not believe the same way are doomed to be exiled in hell.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

evraealtana wrote: 01 May 2019, 07:45 No, it doesn't. I felt that the author supported his points poorly to begin with; the texts he presented seemed to be twisted or warped to fit with the point that he tried to make. Although I don't doubt that he himself believes the claims he advances, I didn't see the resounding "proof" that he does in his interpretation of the supplementary texts, especially since he relied so heavily on taking passages that made sense in literal form and making them into strained, slightly nonsensical metaphors in order to promote his views.
I agree with you. Wahler could easily interpret information to fit in with his beliefs.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

No, it definitely doesn't change my beliefs. To say that Judas was not a betrayer of Jesus is to say that Jesus was not the Messiah and did not die for the sins of mankind, which, according to the review is what the book says. I have no desire to read it but will attempt it so I can participate in this forum! It should be interesting to hear everyones opinions!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

I'm going to pass on this one. While I make a point of NOT avoiding things that disagree with my beliefs, I also don't want to waste the amount of time that reading a whole book would take. Based on the other reviews, it sounds like the author is starting at such a different perspective than my own, I believe that the book would just irritate me. I would rather read something I enjoy!
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis

Return to “Discuss "Misreading Judas" by Robert Wahler”