Rumple Buttercup by Matthew Gray Gubler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss both middle-grade and younger children's books, including picture books, easy readers, and children's chapter books. Topics for books aimed at children 12 and under go in this forum.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Rumple Buttercup by Matthew Gray Gubler

Post by Gravy »

Rumple Buttercup: a Story of Bananas, Belonging, and Being Yourself by Matthew Gray Gubler

Admittedly, when it comes to the author, I am biased. He is one of my very favorite people (/actor/artist/poet/whatever he decides to do), which is why I had to read and support a children's picture book (something I typically wouldn't do).

That said, this book is one of the most positive things I've ever read, and really drives the theme of self acceptance home.

Rumple is a monster who lives in a rain drain. He only has 5 crooked teeth and 3 wispy hairs, he's green and scaly, one of his feet is bigger than the other, and he dreams of being above ground, and having real friends.
Sometimes, when it's night, or when everyone is too busy to notice him, he'll disguise himself by wearing a banana peel on his head, so everyone will think he's a pile of trash, and climb out just to sit on the curb.

This is exactly what Rumple plans to do during the Annual Pajama Jam Cotton Candy Pancake Parade! But, when he reaches out to the garbage can to find himself a banana peel, the can is empty!

Rumple learns a very important lesson by the end.

I do so hope to see Rumple again, hopefully soon. This could be a very charming series, with lots of positive lessons, and more fun illustrations.

Has anyone else taken a chance on this lovely children's story?
Pronouns: She/Her

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
jasmine-louise
Currently Reading: The Book of God
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jasmine-louise.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by jasmine-louise »

I love matthew gray gubler and after reading your review I had to check it out. I loved it, it is a cute little book :D
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I too am biased when it comes to Matthew. After reading your opinions on the book, I will have to take a peek myself!
AdamRedWolf
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamredwolf.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by AdamRedWolf »

Sounds like a fun book. What age-range is it targeted toward?
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
- Bokonon (Kurt Vonnegut), Cat's Cradle

Return to “Children's Books”