Larry's accident Vs William's accident

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Larry's accident Vs William's accident

Post by Kibet Hillary »

elizaron878 wrote: 25 Apr 2019, 10:27 The description of Larry's injury is certainly not for the squeamish.His were life threatening,he lost too much blood,got infected, and the pain must have been terrible.
William got injured when he was weak from starvation.He had to lie out in the open for quite some time, not knowing whether Anne had succeeded or suffered a more or less the same fate.
Fortunately his strength of spirit pulled him through.
It is true that clinically speaking, the survival of Larry would be harder. His lower right leg was torn and thus the loss of blood due to severe hemorrhage would have led to shock and death within a few minutes.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 959
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

William belonged to the Olympic Peninsula. This played a major role in his survival. Also, I wanted to see Larry live. Actually, I was looking forward to his confrontation to Louise. Still, I think his death was purely an accident where he simply had no chance. William's situation, though extremely rare, is still possible in real life. His faith and optimism kept him alive.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

Larry's accident was different than William's and he died in the end. In William case, he had made it so far and got hurt and had to be felt behind and no one, knowing where to find him or if he had died. Both where sad.
Nena_Morena
Favorite Book: The Notebook
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nena-morena.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by Nena_Morena »

I agree that the two injuries were very different, but I also think that the author wanted to emphasize the strength of William's spirit. Throughout the book, several characters talked about how the spirit was strong with William, and his survival proved that.
Sushan Ekanayake
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Bleeding which leads to shock is something quite dangerous and even doctors are afraid of. Larry went down that pathway and it seems his dying is fair
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

Honestly, I don't think we can compare both of their experiences. The chances of surviving against the odds in the wilderness as faced by William in comparison to surving when your body has nothing left to fight are two very different scenarios.
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

As per me, Larry's accident and William's accident was fatal. While they had different accidents, none of them was lesser painful than the author
Books are beautiful.
Ricky 7
Currently Reading: The Cult Next Door
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ricky-7.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Ricky 7 »

About Larry's accident, it was more severe and really bad such that he lost a lot of blood an essentially fluid in human body. For William it's due to his hardened heart and all the toughness he has been through that brings his survival. So when you just say three days for Larry it really amuse me lot in fact I get to think about you alot; don't you have pity
siusantos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-siusantos.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B01FJT7N4W

Post by siusantos »

My heart went out to Larry for what had happened to him. I mean, such tough luck! He was in a ship ill-equipped for survival, even though he was given all the help the crew can give.
And with William, I was really surprised with that ending. Stranded in the cold without food beats losing bucket of blood.
Sarah Schmidt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: The Vine Witch
Bookshelf Size: 271
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarah-schmidt.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Sarah Schmidt »

I think Larry had a way more severe injury than William and that the environment wasn't exactly helping his condition, even with the access to care - and even that was limited. William, though older and probably not as fit, was no stranger to the environment he was forced in.
Michelle Menezes
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michelle-menezes.html
Latest Review: The Legacy of Job's Wife by Cynthia Koelker

Post by Michelle Menezes »

I think if Larry hadn't bled so much he probably would have survived. The blood loss, infection, no proper care at the right time resulted in his death. William, on the other hand was fine till he injured his knee and couldn't walk further. He still had a little bit of food, and fire to help him survive a bit longer.
Medhansh Bhardwaj
Currently Reading: Rediscovering the Wisdom of Human Nature
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-medhansh-bhardwaj.html
Latest Review: Mrs. White’s SUB SNIPS by Laura Moss White

Post by Medhansh Bhardwaj »

We simply cannot compare Larry's injury with that of William's. William had a knee injury- which was quite manageable if dealt with the correct steps. While Larry had 2 almost torn limbs. In such a deep injury accompanied with severe blood loss, you cannot expect someone to use their willpower to overcome this kind of an injury.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Ohna Martin »

William lived part of his life in that region so he kind of knew something about staying alive in those circumstances. Larry's injuries were severe and he lost a lot of blood yes there were medic's to help him, but with injuries that severe he was supposed to immediately go to a hospital.
Andrada Madalina
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: And Then I Met Margaret
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrada-madalina.html
Latest Review: The Butterfly Cage by Rachel Zemach
Reading Device: B014LQ6EKI

Post by Andrada Madalina »

I believe that Larry's accident was an unfortunate incident and was not due to his strength or age because he could not prevent the tragic event. Also, William could not have done much to survive in the extreme cold conditions he faced due to the infection of his wounds and his hypothermia.
Mimi JJ1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mimi-jj1.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Mimi JJ1 »

The author did a great job
Love his choice of words, and writing styles
The book is a great book with wonderful description .

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”