Official Review: The Fire He Started by Sarah Connor

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any crime, thriller, mystery or horror books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Official Review: The Fire He Started by Sarah Connor

Post by Julehart1 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Fire He Started" by Sarah Connor.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Fire He Started by Sarah Connor is a fiction book that contains supernatural elements. It is geared toward young adult readers. The main heroine, Terra, is a high-school student who loves her jock boyfriend, Erick. But, after a while, Terra starts seeing major problems in their relationship. Erick begins acting very possessive of Terra and being jealous of every boy that she talks to in school. He eventually even turns abusive. His controlling behavior spirals out of control, and Terra becomes determined to leave him. However, it won’t be easy because Erick is obsessed with having Terra all to himself. There is nothing that he wouldn’t do to have Terra in his life, including committing murder.

After running away and meeting three mysterious strangers who vow to protect her, Terra feels safe for the first time. But, can these strangers really be trusted? What dark secrets are they hiding? Will Terra ever be free of her past and Erick? Find out in this suspenseful first volume of the Paralystax Series.

I really enjoyed the book’s premise and the first half of the novel very much. There was an air of mystery surrounding Terra and the other characters. The book contained very dark themes, including abuse, murder, rape, and attempted suicide, so it wasn’t a typical teen story. The supernatural elements also seemed to have promise at first.

The author also did a good job of making you feel compassion for everything that Terra went through. She was very young and had to deal with a lot of pain and suffering at Erick’s hands. She lost many people in her life, and it was horrifying. As a reader, you wanted to find out more about the three puzzling characters that Terra met and learn who they were. More so, you truly hoped that they were really on her side, and she wasn’t in for more heartbreak. Also, Erick was never far from catching up to her, so there was always a feeling of dread.

Unfortunately, the supernatural elements of the book weren’t very satisfyingly written. We learned just bits and pieces of information about the three strangers and what they were hiding, but it wasn’t nearly enough to care about them as characters. The plot began to drag after Terra met them, which was a shame. It became a very predictable pattern of Terra fleeing from Erick, him finding her, and her running away again. The book quickly goes from a very engaging read to a pretty boring novel to get through. The plot picked up a bit toward the end, but it still felt like this book was just meant to set up other volumes.

Other points of concern were the very dark and heavy themes of the book. I didn’t personally have an issue with the heavy themes while reading, but I don’t think that the book is suitable for young adults. We saw teens in the book attempting suicide, committing rape, and murder, among other things. It was all very bleak, and it could be overwhelming for young minds to have to read all of that.

I’m rating this book 2 out of 4 stars. I did find the writing itself and the premise of the book very engaging and intriguing. This was a professionally edited novel. I also appreciated the author’s ability to make the readers feel for Terra and her situation. My excitement lasted for about half of the book until the pacing of the story began to slow down a lot. The supernatural mysteries weren’t satisfyingly written or revealed. It’s my hope that much more will be unveiled in the second volume of the series and that the pacing will pick up. I do feel like the rest of the series has potential with the supernatural element being a much stronger focus. I would recommend this novel for adult readers who don’t mind the very dark themes and who like mystery books that contain a supernatural component.

The Fire He Started
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Julehart1's review? Post a comment saying so!
TinyikoS
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tinyikos.html
Latest Review: The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon

Post by TinyikoS »

Apparently, many teenagers and young adults go through situations similar to Terra's. I hope they find this book educational. Informative review .
Basmeen
Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-basmeen.html
Latest Review: Followed my Star by AR Annahita

Post by Basmeen »

Wow..... It's pretty tantalising but , story goes like that only half of the book as reviewer said. I love this kind of obsession stories with thriller packed till the end. I would love to try that kind of pathways rather than this. May be as reviewer said it can be for young adults.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I reviewed this book as well. I felt the same way. This is way too dark and heavy for a young adult book. Perhaps if it was meant for adult horror fans...
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The premise does seem very dark. This doesn't sound like a relaxing read. Thanks for your thoughts on this one.
RomanIV
Currently Reading: Heartaches
Bookshelf Size: 4

Post by RomanIV »

Thank you for your review! I enjoyed reading it. As far as the book goes, my interest was peeked in the beginning but I'm unsure if I'll give it a read. I'm not a fan of stories that drag on forreevverr. Pretty boring.. Again thank you for your review. -R <3
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

It does seem like this has too many dark themes to be appropriate for teens. Thanks for recognizing and pointing that out. Thanks for this thoughtful review!
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

The story sounds like it could have been suspenseful and intense, with her running away from her boyfriend with supernatural help. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like it lived up to its potential. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Adedayo+23
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adedayo-23.html
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Post by Adedayo+23 »

It sounds like this book had potential, but the author held back in a bid to set up the other volumes, and this only ended up making the book feel half-baked. Terrific review.
"Destiny struggles to reassert the pattern that was meant to be." ~ Lightning by Dean Koontz :tiphat:
Latest Review: Yona by Deanna Irwin

Return to “Crime, Thrillers, Mystery and Horror Books”