Do you always use the computer to write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Re: Do you always use the computer to write?

Post by Renu G »

I've almost forgotten how to write with my hand. I usually write on my laptop and sometimes on my smartphone.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

I do both, whichever one I choose depends entirely on what is near me when inspiration hits. If I'm stuck waiting somewhere then I generally have my notepad with me just for that purpose but if I'm at home and the power isn't out then the computer is considerably easier. I love writing physically but my wrists murder me anytime I do it so you can see why the computer is kind of nice.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I do make notes by hand but I tried to write a full piece by hand some time ago and I just suffer with cramps too much for it to be viable. I'll do short poetry by hand but I'm better to write my long prose on a keyboard.
Anindya W
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anindya-w.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Anindya W »

I prefer writing on the computer but when I don't have them around, I could type down my ideas on my phone. As much as I'd love to carry around a notebook with me, I keep forgetting to put them in my pocket or bag every time I go out.
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

I almost always write on my computer. Occasionally, I'll make notes to myself on my phone if I get an idea and I'm out and about. I keep a notebook by the bed, and if I think of something in the middle of the night, I scribble it in the dark. In the morning it can be darn tough to figure out what the heck I was talking about.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I can't seem to write on the computer. I prefer writing in a notebook. Then when it gets too scribbly with the editing, I will type it out and print it and then edit that, also by hand. It's messy, but it works for me. :compta:
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

It depends on what I'm in the mood to do. Sometimes there's something almost poetic about watching the ink mark the pages of a notebook, but other times, it's just faster and easier to type. I get more words down on a computer per day than I do by hand.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

I've found that writing on the computer and writing by hand allow me to work through the piece differently - from a mental perspective. If I have a strong understanding where my next few paragraphs/scenes/pages/whatever are about to go, I type it up immediately because I can get the words down much faster that way. However, if I'm still trying to chisel out what I'm about to say, it's much easier for me to write it out by hand. The physical, tactical act of writing allows me to connect more intimately to what I'm doing. Also, because the process is slower this way, my brain has time to catch up to my hands, so I'm less likely to lose my rhythm while deciding on the next word.
tatsueigo
Favorite Book: Murder in Orient Express
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by tatsueigo »

I usually write per hand and then transcript all on the computer. With doing as such I can add things, change the grammar or things like that.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

Most of the time, yes, it's far more comfortable and quick than doing so with a pen and paper
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I do initial drafts and outlines/plotting by hand usually, in my journal.
Everything else on the laptop or tablet (I have a tablet that has a detachable keyboard).

A few years ago when my laptop was down, I wrote mostly in my journal.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
ferry flawless
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferry-flawless.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by ferry flawless »

No I don't. I mostly prefer writing by hand.
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

Not always but mostly. In the beginning, I wrote by hand because I had to share the laptop with my family so I didn't get it as much. Now I have my own laptop for some time now and type more often, but I'm thinking of writing by hand again. I seem to work well when I review books and transfer it to word.doc, so maybe it will help my stories as well.
eastandalchemy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eastandalchemy.html
Latest Review: Sir, I'm Not That Kind of Girl! by Mary Lynn Archibald
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eastandalchemy »

Nearly all of my writing takes place on the computer other than journaling. I like the process of putting pen to paper but it's not practical for time-sensitive work. Journaling helps me keep that craft alive, and it's a form of meditation and inspriation for me.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

Learning to type fast definitely took a while, and you'll get there! But I've found that writing by hand sometimes gets the ideas flowing really well. There's no delete button so it's a good move for when you're feeling blocked.

Return to “Writing Discussion”