Writing Confidence

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Reviewed_By_Julie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewed-by-julie.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Writing Confidence

Post by Reviewed_By_Julie »

I have a friend who is a talented writer. I believe she has had 2 poems published. However, she lacks the confidence to keep going and putting her work out there for all to see. What encouragement can I give my friend to keep writing? She is very good, and I would hate for the world to only discover most of her work after her life is over like Emily Dickinson. Any suggestions on how to encourage a writer to increase writing confidence?
RayneGodd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 8
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raynegodd.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by RayneGodd »

Honestly, the best thing that you can do as a friend is actively engage your writer friend in discussions about her work. If she is a poet, talk to her about poetry and recommend the stuff that you read that you like, or link her to poetry competitions. Keep getting involved and enouraging her, that's honestly all you can do.
cadelfavreau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cadelfavreau.html
Latest Review: The Sojourners by T. L. Hughes

Post by cadelfavreau »

Remind your friend that the flaws she sees are usually only seen by her, and most people don't share that perspective. this is really helpful when I write :)
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

No matter how good or bad your work, someone will love it and someone will hate it. And if they hate it, the anonymity of the internet lets them be really nasty about it. Unfortunately, the ones who love it will be far less vocal. The brutal truth is, you have to be tough to be "out there." I know that doesn't answer the question about how to encourage someone, but perhaps knowing the challenge is part of conquering it.
Kyrenora
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyrenora.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Kyrenora »

Personally, I would recommend she try using a pseudonym. Perhaps if she has that level of anonymity, it will decrease her fear of failure.
Reviewed_By_Julie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewed-by-julie.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Reviewed_By_Julie »

That's an interesting perspective.
ElizaPeaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ElizaPeaks »

Consistently ask your friend about what she's been writing! And ask before she brings it up herself. Furthermore, there's a certain level of stress that comes with a desire to publish; oftentimes, once having published a few pieces, writers can become anxious. There is fear that none of our other work will be good enough, and this can drive us to write for performance sake rather than write to express ourselves. Keep asking your friend about what she's been writing, and keep in mind this idea of performance vs expression!
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

You can ask her what she is afraid of? Does she believe people don't like her poems? Or does she think she can't make a living out of writing poems?

Return to “Writing Discussion”