Do you listen to music when you write?

Discuss writing, including writing tips & tricks, writing philosophy, writer's block, etc. If you have grammar questions, marketing questions, or if you want feedback on a poem or short story you wrote, please use the corresponding forum below.
Featured Topic: How to Get Your Book Published
Forum rules
If you have spelling or grammar questions, please post them in the International Grammar section.

If you want feedback for poetry or short stories you have written, please post the poem or short story in either the Creative Original Works: Short Stories section or the Creative Original Works: Poetry section.

If you have a book that you want reviewed, click here to submit your book for review.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Do you listen to music when you write?

Post by Alice Thokchom »

I don't play music. I just sit on a chair or bed, mostly bed, where I can see the outside view, and let me gaze to a far place. That way, my imagination goes wild.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

I am pretty much the same. Vocals are too distracting for me. If I am doing research for a paper, it is fine. The concepts and words are defined and formed. When I try to give birth to something original, I usually require the sounds of birds, a fireplace. a snowstorm, or a strong breeze through trees.
If it looks bad, you've zoomed in too far.

Unconditional love is impossible until you can look at yourself without judgment.
(9 of 175 Books by 12/1/19)
Tessa23Darling
Currently Reading: The Fire Within
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tessa23darling.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Tessa23Darling »

Nope. Can't do music. Far too distracting - Especially anything with lyrics! I need total quiet when I write. My husband actually takes our daughter and leaves the house so there's no background noise.
jahagen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jahagen.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by jahagen »

I'm definitely like you - I have to have some form of noise when writing because the silence is overbearing. My go-to is always instrumental or soundtrack music because lyrics always disrupt my line of thinking.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I like to have some instrumental music in the background when I'm writing. However, I do better in complete silence which is rare.
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

Nine times out of ten, yes I play music while I write. The only time I don't is when I have my nephews chatting with me since they demand any leftover attention I have. They have made it a game to see how many times they can make me lose my train of thought.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

Wordless music i find really good for writing, or very quiet ballads. Mostly piano stuff or drone. I don't mind working in silence but a little noise helps me from getting distracted by what my cats are doing.
boardj
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-boardj.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis

Post by boardj »

Depends! For one of the books I am writing, I listen to a band called Garbage because their music fits my theme of the book. Same goes for my short story, I listen to The Oral Cigarettes because it just fits. I have also found that when I randomly listen to music, I sometimes get inspired for a new book/story idea.
shadow_reviewer
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by shadow_reviewer »

I sometimes listen to music. Lately, I use the alpha and beta levels to zone myself out. It keeps me on task to finish my daily goal.
tatsueigo
Favorite Book: Murder in Orient Express
Currently Reading: A Woman's Prerogative
Bookshelf Size: 22

Post by tatsueigo »

I can concentrate myself most if I hear music and sing along. Sometimes it distracts me, but I mostly like to use it. My mom always watches tv while I write, so I need some distractions and music is perfect.
Artizi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-artizi.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Artizi »

I do most of the time, and enjoy soothing music, especially without lyrics or voices.
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies
Oluwatosin Tvab
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Oluwatosin Tvab »

Oh my! The way music soothes my feelings, makes me feel relaxed, and makes me travel far into deep imaginations. How can I deny it? Maybe not all the time but most of the time, I write with music.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

I almost always listen to music when I write... Genre of music depends on the genre that I'm writing. For example, I listen to Celtic music when I write fantasy.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office
magnoparisi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnoparisi.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's Aftermath of War by Greg Kater

Post by magnoparisi »

Tessa23Darling wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 20:19 Nope. Can't do music. Far too distracting - Especially anything with lyrics! I need total quiet when I write.
Totally agree. It doesn't matter if we are talking about Iron Maiden or Chopin. I need absolute silence when i write.
beccabecky
Currently Reading: Restaurant Insanity
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beccabecky.html
Latest Review: The Geeks Conquer the Universe by Keith Mackie

Post by beccabecky »

I do! Relaxing music and not too loud so that it doesn't distract me too much. Soft music works for me!

Return to “Writing Discussion”