Louise and Larry Stealing the Ship

Use this forum to discuss the April 2019 Book of the month, "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Re: Louise and Larry Stealing the Ship

Post by Kibet Hillary »

There are wonderful insights here too. It is true that they really gave it their best shot especially since their tug was way older and also slower than the Buckhorn tugs.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I think their stealing the ship just adds to the drama. I enjoy stories with multiple plot lines but are still tied together by some common goal or moral. In this case its a race against time, the secretive corp. that's in the middle of all this, and the characters one way or another are all tied to this abandoned boat.
shaz1994
Favorite Book: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula
Currently Reading: The Honorable Knight
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shaz1994.html
Latest Review: Dolphins Don’t Run Marathons by Sam Brand

Post by shaz1994 »

They didn't steal the ship, at the beginning of the story the owners were on different missions therefore only Louise and Larry picked the distress call from the ship. That is when they set forth to tow the ship and they needed this opportunity to save their company.
Michgal 32
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michgal-32.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Michgal 32 »

Louise and Larry saw an opportunity to salvage their business and they grabbed it.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

While claiming the ship was something they were desperate about in order to save their business, I do not think this was a steal. This was simply work and the ship was already abandoned, so they were legally free to claim it.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

It seems implied therein that the rule of the game was that whoever got to an abandoned ship and set up the tug ropes first, 'won the tender' to tow the ship. At no point did they or any of their crew bring up the issue of stealing or undercutting Buckhorn to get to the ship. Otherwise, Buckhorn wouldn't have easily backed off, if this wasn't the case.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

shaz1994 wrote: 12 Apr 2019, 03:28 They didn't steal the ship, at the beginning of the story the owners were on different missions therefore only Louise and Larry picked the distress call from the ship. That is when they set forth to tow the ship and they needed this opportunity to save their company.
This is true. In the business world, there is a lot of competition and for a salvage company that was on the verge of closure due to financial constraints, any person could have resorted to this. After all, there are maritime laws that govern such issues I believe.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

It's not called stealing. Anyway, their decision to tow the abandoned Express is a risk on its own. They are betting that they can claim the ship and use the reward money to alleviate their financial problems.
Cecilia_L
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 436
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilia-l.html
Latest Review: No Rushing when Brushing by Humairah Shah

Post by Cecilia_L »

I got the impression that the abandoned ship was fair game and didn't consider it stealing.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

CatInTheHat wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 10:05 Technically, they weren't stealing. That's how the salvage tows work. The first one to secure the abandoned boat gets to tow it and make a claim on its contents. The insurance pays them for the recovered boat and items. At least that's how it works in the U.S.
From the context in the book, I felt that it was a 'first come' sort of situation. Glad to know that it's actually in the rules!! Makes the book that much better, to me, anyway.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

Cecilia_L wrote: 24 Apr 2019, 11:33 I got the impression that the abandoned ship was fair game and didn't consider it stealing.
I got the same impression. It was a salvage operation. There is probably some law somewhere that governs salvage, but it does seem like a lost ship would be up for grabs.
DC Brown

Post by DC Brown »

Renu G wrote: 01 Apr 2019, 05:40 What are your thoughts about Louise and Larry competing with the owner's tugs and managing to steal the boat?
It was a lost and abandoned ship. Through their efforts and risks, they were able to get the ship towed back to port. Stealing? I didn't see it that way at all.
elizaron878
Currently Reading: The Copyist
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizaron878.html
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA

Post by elizaron878 »

They were in need and on the lookout for money.An opportunity presented itself and they just couldn't resist.Many people would have done the same.
Latest Review: Fulfillment by ICA
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Smiley 25 wrote: 08 Apr 2019, 23:14 At first I kind of felt like they were stealing it, but as I read on I saw that this wasn’t the case. I can’t imagine how hard salvaging ships would be. Aside from the elements, securing the ship and making sure no one does anything under handed to take it from you would be really hard work. It was interesting to learn about this. I never really thought much about what happens to abandoned ships. I guess I assumed that whoever owns them would go get them if they wanted to recover them. I enjoyed learning while reading a good story too.
This business seems to be filled with a lot of adventures but also risks that could prove catastrophic and fatal as well. Larry and Louise were determined. No one would undertake such a task unless fully persuaded to do so. They were raising against faster tugs than their old ship.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am one person who enjoyed the towing part of the story very much apart from the incident where Larry's lower leg gets snapped by the towing cable. Louise's qualities were largely revealed through this part.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon”