Official Review: The Very Swift Witches by Stormy Summers

Please use this subforum to discuss romance or erotic books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Official Review: The Very Swift Witches by Stormy Summers

Post by Poppy Drear »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Very Swift Witches" by Stormy Summers.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Very Swift Witches by Stormy Summers is primarily a feel-good comedy set in the small town of Claxton. After her husband leaves her, Katie is forced to move back to her parents' farm with her two children. Her life is changed drastically when three witches from 1712 suddenly appear at her doorstep. She decides to take them in, and they quickly grow to be a part of the family. The witches help Katie set up a grocery store, and their magic causes a great deal of excitement and adventure for Katie and the people of Claxton.

Right off the bat, I would be remiss not to mention the wonderfully vivid main characters. The witches consist of Annalee, an apprentice in her early teens, Mary, a romance-minded widow, and Emma, an older woman who is an extremely practiced witch. Each of them has their own ambitions, flaws, and secrets, all of which are slowly revealed throughout the course of the book. Katie, too, is a well-rounded character. Because of her empathetic nature, it doesn't feel forced that she took in the witches, and her struggle with overcoming the mistakes of her past while trying to take care of her family is quite relatable for those of us who have children.

The plot itself is remarkably well-paced and thorough. Many events do revolve around coincidences, but they are always explained thoroughly and never take agency away from the characters - if anything, they provide more difficult situations for them to overcome. The narrator has a unique voice that is engaging without getting in the way of the story, despite their mildly annoying tendency to refer to most of the conflicts as "Unavoidable Disasters." While the premise is incredibly wild, it's still believable due to the perfect combination of thorough research and personal experience on the part of the author.

If there's any significant flaw with this book, it's that the male love interests are usually relegated to the sidelines. Despite the number of stories that do this to female love interests, I still feel like it's a shame that their goals and fears were hardly explored. This would make the book's romantic relationships, particularly Katie's, feel much more compelling. The romantic themes are overshadowed by the themes of family, though, so this isn't too egregious. There are a few other rough spots, too, like when Katie has a pointless internal monologue that lasts multiple pages, or the handful of grammatical errors that I could find. However, these are minor and don't impede the overall flow of the book.

The Very Swift Witches is certainly one of the most memorable books I've read in a while. Though it does have a few flaws, I still rate it 4 out of 4 stars for its incredible execution of a very unusual concept, and Stormy Summers is one of the few self-published authors whose work I will be actively following from now on. For adults fond of small-town life, particularly mothers, this is a must-read - and I don't use that term lightly! I doubt younger audiences will be engaged with this book, though, and there are some mild dark and sexual themes that they probably shouldn't be exposed to, anyway.

The Very Swift Witches
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ViziVoir's review? Post a comment saying so!
mustaji11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mustaji11 »

In my opinion, the contents of the story are less interesting to read in the conflict section, which is less "wow", so that people continue reading corrections in the conflict section (problem in the story) so that many people are interested in reading it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a bit more than just a romance. I love that the witches bring excitement into Katie's life. I'm sure the fact that they are from 1712 makes it even more interesting. I'm a bit leery of the dark/sexual themes, but I might have to try this one anyway. I'll give it more thought. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

Thank you for the review! The book seems to be a light, interesting read. And the involvement of the three witches makes it an ultimate fantasy classic :) I would love to check it out even in spite of the dark and sexual themes you've mentioned above.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

A comedy with witches and some romance on the side, what is there not to like? I think I would love this book. Thanks for a wonderful review!
Dentarthurdent
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dentarthurdent.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Dentarthurdent »

The book sounds amazing. At first, I simply expected this to be just another tale where the main character discovers she is the witch of the century, magical powers that have lain dormant her life so far are awakened, she finds true love, et cetera. I'm glad this isn't the case. It's a shame though about the sidelined love interests, and rather unfortunate how often such situations occur in novels.
Irrespective of this, I'll definitely read this one, and that's thanks to your compelling review.
"I say what it occurs to me to say when I think I hear people say things. More I cannot say"
--Douglas Adams, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The fact that the main character goes through such a horrible life-changing experience and then is thrust into a highly comedic situation, sounds appealing to me. Despite the potential laughs, I don't think this one will make the top of my reading list anytime soon, but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It is very telling that you will continue to follow this self-published author. Thanks for this well-done review.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

This seems like a great book to read, there is comedy, interesting characters and an unusual storyline. Thank you for the great review.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

A light-hearted comedy set in a small town sounds like a book I could read right now. The storyline about three witches dropping in on Katie and her two children provides a fascinating concept. Thanks for the great review!
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

We often depict witches as bad entities, doing black magic and all. I'm glad that this book offers a fresh look at them.
Krissykat
Currently Reading: Raptor
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-krissykat.html
Latest Review: The Second Cup by Sarah Marie Graye

Post by Krissykat »

Great review, I actually want to purchase this book right now and imurge into this fascinating story. Katie having gone through so much and trying to do best for her children, invites three witches from 1712 sounds interesting in its self. The Very Swift Witches by Stormy Summers not only has comedy, but has light heartedness, conflict, witches, and magic. Makes for a wonderful story.
Wriley
Favorite Book: Executive Hoodlum
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wriley.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Wriley »

This sounds like the kind of book I like to read. I read lots of paranormal mysteries and romance. I like that the story is complicated with secrets the three witches are carrying. I've not read a book where witches show up and change the world if mortals. I like a book that on some level seems realistic as well.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

That's interesting. The dark themes seem at odds with the light heartedness of it but I'm sure it works for the book. Katie's struggles and time with the witches seem like they would be a fun read.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Romance and Erotic Books”