Official Review: It Ain't College, It's War!

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any young adult books.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Official Review: It Ain't College, It's War!

Post by Fu Zaila »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "It Ain't College, It's War!" by Subhodeep Mukherjee.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

It Ain’t College, It’s War! is a fun-filled contemporary campus novel written by Subhodeep Mukherjee. It follows the first person narrative of Rahul Arora through his four years as a Mechanical Engineering student at RCE, a fictitious college set in Delhi, India. This book is first in an ongoing trilogy.

The five hostels at RCE are separate entities named after renowned scientists. Rahul Arora is an outspoken fresher belonging to the hostel Einstein Hall. Due to his big mouth and knack for getting into trouble, Rahul quickly becomes infamous among his seniors and hostellers. Things turn worse when he gathers the courage to propose to a senior girl Preeti, notwithstanding the fact that she is already committed to another senior. Rahul’s mischiefs get him into trouble all year long. Nevertheless, Rahul is well-accepted and has quite a friend circle among his hostel mates – Vishal, Imran, Rishab, Arunava, Shubham, and Manoj, among many others. Meanwhile, semesters come and go and so do the seniors. With his group of friends and the blaring rivalry between Fermi Hall and Einstein Hall, the four years at college passes by on a whim. There is an added drama of Rahul’s relationship with a junior girl named Priyanka. The book gives a nostalgic ride through campus life; from trouble-making tendencies, college crushes and bunking classes, to students turning serious and working hard to secure their future.

I picked up the book as soon as I saw the book was by a native Indian author. It Ain’t College, It’s War! kept me hooked with its intriguing storyline. I really loved how the protagonist narrated the story as if he is conversing with us. There were many relatable elements within the story since I am an engineering student myself. The book addresses the issues of ragging and hostel rivalry with opinionated views of the protagonist, which I felt was the proper way to handle the matter. Even though most of the characters are stereotyped into being either a nerd or one of the ‘rowdy boys’ or something similar, I appreciated how it reflected reality by revealing that each character had a deeper personality to them. The nostalgia generated by many scenes was overwhelming. On the other hand, since I already knew how things work at engineering colleges, it felt a tad bit repetitive. But I was satisfied with how the author took the trouble to explain the ways, by keeping his intended audience much wider than Indians. International readers can gain a fairly good idea about college and campus life in India, which has been rarely represented in world literature. It was one of the ways in which I felt the book outshone the other typical Indian contemporaries.

The book was definitely entertaining, but there were a few problematic aspects as well. Stereotyping and fat-shaming which is so often seen in Indian culture is even more stressed in the book. As an Indian, I often feel bad about how our culture perceives fat people to be ugly and how fair, white-skinned people are seen as beautiful. This book might be an accurate portrayal of the Indian mindset in that perspective, but the author took no pains to illustrate why it is wrong and needs to change. Rahul also frequently ignores and name-calls his roommates because they are nerds and uncool, just by judging their appearance. His first meeting with them was especially aggravating. There were some italicized sentences which show what Rahul was thinking at the time; I felt those repetitive and unnecessary. In the beginning, it was difficult to keep up with the wide array of characters, but later it was fine. However, I felt none of the characters were very well-developed since the author tried more to build the plot rather than the characters. The narrator Rahul was the least developed of all. Even though I could relate to the moments from the book, I could not empathize or completely identify with the characters since their personalities were underdeveloped.

The writing is exceedingly well edited, with just a few minor errors. The author’s style could use improvement since I felt it lacked lucidity. Altogether, I thoroughly enjoyed the book and it was very entertaining. But due to some problems in character arcs, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars. There are no general triggers, so fans of contemporaries and realistic fiction inspired by true events might want to include this book in their reading list. People who are seeking character-driven books might find it tedious and boring. It’s a go-to book for those who’re seeking a nostalgic trip through their university days.

It Ain't College, It's War!
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Fuzaila's review? Post a comment saying so!
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Great review!
This book sounds action-packed! Would be a great read for young adults heading off to college!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This one sounds like it has a glimpse of the Indian culture as well as just being entertaining. I love when you can see something that's a bit different from yourself. Overall, it sounds like a good read despite the issues. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 07:38 Great review!
This book sounds action-packed! Would be a great read for young adults heading off to college!
Thanks Stephanie! It sure is :D
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 07:45 This one sounds like it has a glimpse of the Indian culture as well as just being entertaining. I love when you can see something that's a bit different from yourself. Overall, it sounds like a good read despite the issues. Thanks.
It is. Thanks for your comment :)
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

kandscreeley wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 07:45 This one sounds like it has a glimpse of the Indian culture as well as just being entertaining. I love when you can see something that's a bit different from yourself. Overall, it sounds like a good read despite the issues. Thanks.
It sure is a good read. I appreciate your thoughts :)
Prisallen
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

This sounds like a good way to find out what going to college in India is like. Thank you for the review!
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

I love the idea of naming halls after famous scientists. Based on my experiences of attending college in England, I'd say "nerds" versus "rowdy boys" sums things up quite well ... I hope we start to see some books without fat hatred soon; there is way too much of it everywhere. Thank you for a fascinating review.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 685
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I learned a lot from your review alone. Ragging (we call it hazing), bunking class and hostels (dorms in our campuses) are new to me. I'm also glad to meet another lady engineer! Very vivid review. And nostalgic, too.
Delaney35
Currently Reading: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress
Bookshelf Size: 131
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delaney35.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Delaney35 »

This seems like a fun book. The perspective also is interesting.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

Students who are thinking of doing a year of study abroad might find this book helpful. Your review gives a good description of what students can expect in the classroom and in the hostels. This was a very interesting review. Thanks.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

This one sounds interesting. My own college days are long gone, and I mostly lived off campus. This would be an eye-opening read about campus life in general, and Indian campus life in particular. Thank you for your awesome review.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

This book sounds like a very interesting and deep insight into the college and campus life in India. I hope it brings attention to the sad fact that people can be judged by appearance. Thank you for this review!
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

The title drew caught my attention, it is hilarious and rings of a great adventure. I am not naturally a fan of college stories, but this one is exceptional - the storyline is well-developed. It is also a great opportunity to learn a bit of Indian culture. Great review!
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Post by Charlyt »

Seems like an interesting plot, too bad about the stereotyping. Great review!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Return to “Young Adult Fiction Books”